Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedheaters on 94 316i

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: heaters on 94 316i
    Posted: 11-January-2005 at 19:29

hi folks

newbie here, i am having problems with the non functioning heaters on my recently purchased 316i.

they were not working when i got it, and found the thermo to be seized.

changed the thermo (with housing), water pump, and fan belt.

no apparent leaks from  hose and temp gauge seems correct at half way mark, during driving etc. (unlike before when the gauge was cold)

however, heaters still blowing cold air.

my brother was the guy who did the work, he had alot of difficulty changing the thermo as some of the old one was stuck in the block when he removed it.

he finally after chisel and drill........got it out. but left some scuff marks on the block.

is this relevant to the hot air issue? i hope its not too serious, i paid like 140euro for the thermo and housing.....not to mention the waterpump........<i know i was ripped off!>

thanks in advance

ezza

Edited by kbannon
Sponsored Links

x in the city View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2005 at 23:20

update!!

the heaters seem to be working now, there are three positions for the heater control. the window one is deffo working as is the one for the feet. the one for the face just lets out cold air? or is this the way it should be?

i have some more questions about this car you guys might help me out on.

the green light is illuminated for the service, its the one nearest the yellow one. what does this mean? do i have to reset the lights?

i have changed the spark plugs, oil, oil filter and air filter as well as the water pump et al.

sometimes the car rev's up when idle and goes back to normal and then revs up again.........as if the power steering or something was going? is this normal behaviour?

finally, how can i upgrade the speakers? i have 4 120watt pioneers i would like to use, but dont want to mess around with my newly acquired beemer

many thanks.!

ezza

Edited by x in the city
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 04:26

re heater: see this

re SI Lights: you should have 5 green, 1 yellow and 1 red. When the lights are reset, 5 green come up. Over time (depending in driving style, mileage, etc. the lights slowly go out until you are left with 1. When this goes out the yellow comes on which tells you to service your car - it should also tell you the type of service needed. If the lights aren't reset then the red eventually comes on. Your car will not blow up if you drive on the red! See BMW Service Indicator (SI) Lights

re idle: clean your idle air stabiliser and possibly your air flow meter with carb cleaner.

re speakers: I mentioned on another forum that I don't know!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 04:28
Oh, also - get yourself a Bentley manual!BMW E36 Bentley Manual
ebay link
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 07:31
Easiest mod for speakers is to buy some Autoleads adapters that enable you to fit 6x9s to the back shelf in place of the standard Nokias. I fitted some Sony 3 ways to my E36, definitely worth doing. I tried some Pioneer tweeters in place of the factory fit Nokias in the door panels. Don't bother! Anything else will involve a jig saw and MDF!
Cheers, Neil
x in the city View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2005 at 09:55

hi folks

thats cool. i didnt know anything about the service lights.....

now, i have another issue

dont know if this is related to the idle or not, but when i am in a low gear, say driving throught town, it stalls, or needs alot of kick and high revs to get moving..hard to explain, rather than a simple change of gear say from neutral to first and some throttle.........you need to give it ALOT of throttle, or it will stall.

when im on nornal cruising speeds, the car behaves fine, just that when im in low gears, its acting odd. ? i have to constantly adjust the clutch and accelerator to prevent it from stalling.

ezza

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic