FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy did you buy an E36 M3?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 08:33

Originally posted by tw99 tw99 wrote:

Have you looked at www.e36coupe.com ...(though it's all a bit Max Power for me really).

I used to go on there a lot, but much less now for that very reason.  Just the other day someone was seriously talking about putting a Scooby bonnet vent on their M3  

Steve.

Sundayjumper - now with added 328 Sport
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 08:39
Originally posted by PJSM3 PJSM3 wrote:

Originally posted by David 87M3 David 87M3 wrote:

Originally posted by _Tim_ _Tim_ wrote:

Originally posted by PikeyM3 PikeyM3 wrote:

And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.

Trust and respect takes time. Give other people on the forum help
and advice first, then you can expect them to help and advise you.

Thats a joke, right? Or is this place really that far up it's own ****?
Yes this forum is up its own **** and comments like "And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.
" proves that.
What a childish stupid thing to say!
We are all ment to help each other out New menber or old.
Unfortuantely there are some people here who think that because they have owned an M car for a few years they are experts

sad but true

Well I don't know PikeyM3 from Adam but I suspect his post was a reaction to the question as to whether anyone on this forum owned an M3, had cool looking wheels, subwoofer etc,.............

I'm sure most people will gladly give any help they can on this forum but if they don't know, well, they don't know.

I don't visit the M-power forum very often as I don't have an M car. I normally spend most time on the 3 series tech forum and I have to say that as long as I can help I answer anyone's questions no matter how long they have been using the forum. To imply that people need to spend time earning respect first is a bit strange, after many newbie's are beginners with not much knowledge. How can they be expected to answer other people questions first before they will be helped. It sounds a little bit like if you can't help us we won't help you. Mind saying all that the topic starters comments have been a bit on the cheeky/provacative side so in that context Pikey's response makes more sense. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 09:01

Edited by Rhys on 25-January-2005 at 10:56

**** myself laughing at "ar*e" being moderated to "****".  What are we, 12 year olds?
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 09:13
Originally posted by DAWIEM3 DAWIEM3 wrote:

I own two E30 M3`s and one E36 M3 evo. I have had the EVO for 2 years now and just simply hate it. I don`t read posts on forums about them, as I have no intrest in E36`s. It only gets washed when the wife has nagged for weeks. It is just like having a Ford focus on the drive, common as terraced houses. 

Arrogant, maybe.

This comment just sums up the impression that several of the E30 M3 owners who use this forum give. A severe distaste for the E36 M3 and anyone who owns one. Why not read the E36 posts? after all owning one you might be able to help someone, or are E36 owners so abhorant that you wouldn't want too? There have been posts about which is best that have just sounded like an excuse to tell the E36 owners how much better you car is than theirs and requests from the E30 owner's to have their own forum. I just don't get it.

I don't know whether it's intentional or not but some of you come accross as snobs who look down on anyone who doesn't own an E30 M3.

DawieM3, if I had my way i'd make you drive a Ford Focus for 10 years then you might appreciate being able to own an E36 M3 biggrin1

Oh and non of this means I don't like the original M3, far from it, I had posters of them on my walls when I was little.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:01
I'd agree with your sentiment there Peter - not sure if the 'them and us' taint to some threads is intentional (in fact, I'm fairly sure it isn't), but it sure comes across that way sometimes.
'95 328iSE with S50 conversion
'98 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja
Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:02
[QUOTE=DAWIEM3]

Andy,

I own two E30 M3`s and one E36 M3 evo. I have had the EVO for 2
years now and just simply hate it. I don`t read posts on forums
about them, as I have no intrest in E36`s. It only gets washed when
the wife has nagged for weeks. It is just like having a Ford focus on
the drive, common as terraced houses. 

The only reason why I have kept it because in a moment of insane
madness, I promised my wife I would buy her one, and as a man of
my word I did.  Its gets is regular servicing and service history is up
to date, but I won`t lift a spanner to it. On the other hand, I service
my E30`s every 5000 KMs, they get washed weekly, covers goes
straight back on when finished., and no they are not garage queens
either.

My E30 M3`s, would never sell either of them. Arrogant, maybe.[/
P]

No, just spoilt by the Greatest Touring Car ever raced.

[/
QUOTE]

You say you don't read posts on E36's - so why did you click on this
one?
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:07
Behave children... honestly
www.houlbrook.com
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:10
what Houlbt said!!!!!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Brett_M5 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:36
I wasn't being childish, I was just trying to work out why he says one
thing and does another

As for why I bought one, I had a test drive of one and fell in love. (If I
test drove an E30 first I might be driving one now but I didn't so I'm
not.) The sheer power and great handling did it for me not the
number of horses under the bonnet as long as it still goes well I'm
not bothered about getting it on the rollers.
Great post though
1999 E39 M5
1995 E36 M3 - Sold
MCC1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 11:50

I own an E30 M3 and do not look down on E36 M3's no way – I drove many of them (coupe, saloons, evo, non evo, conv etc)  they are totally great cars.  Just like the E30 M3 they are the best in their class/better than their competitors.  An E36 M3's competitors being an Audi A4 S4 Bi-turbo, Merc C36/43 etc.  And that’s all it has to do - be the best car in its class.  An E30 M3 is a different car in a different era - an E36 is better than an E30 in terms of straighline performance, comfort, space and all that but the E30 is a better than the E36 in terms of handling/steering/delicacy etc.  Just like a Clio 172 would be faster, more roomy etc than a 205 1.9 GTi.  They are just different – I wouldn’t say a 205 Gti is better than a 172 or vice versa – just different & incomparable.  I wonder do Merc 2.5 16V drivers and C36 drivers have the same argument/discussions as people on this forum?  I suspect not ;)

One thing I do dislike about E36 M3's is nothing to do with the car but where I live I see young 18yr olds driving/’diffing’ them without insurance etc and that annoys the hell outta me!  Whereas I have my E30 fully legal taxed, insured and all that crap yet I'm the one who get caught for minor traffic offences and get points etc whereas these yobos get away with it.  Grrrrrr  Nothing to do with an E36 M3 btw just some owners ;-)

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 12:00

Originally posted by PikeyM3 PikeyM3 wrote:

And as you are a newbie Andy you can't expect peopel to just instantly respect you or help you out.

Every forum I think I've been on suffers on this to a greater or lesser degree, usually greater.

If its not cos people arent known on the forum then its about age/model of the car. Personally I'd say this forum is better than most

John
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 12:06
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I own two E30 M3`s and one E36 M3 evo. I have had the EVO for 2 years now and just simply hate it. I don`t read posts on forums about them, as I have no intrest in E36`s. It only gets washed when the wife has nagged for weeks. It is just like having a Ford focus on the drive, common as terraced houses. 

Arrogant, maybe.

This comment just sums up the impression that several of the E30 M3 owners who use this forum give. A severe distaste for the E36 M3 and anyone who owns one. Why not read the E36 posts? after all owning one you might be able to help someone, or are E36 owners so abhorant that you wouldn't want too? There have been posts about which is best that have just sounded like an excuse to tell the E36 owners how much better you car is than theirs and requests from the E30 owner's to have their own forum. I just don't get it.

I don't know whether it's intentional or not but some of you come accross as snobs who look down on anyone who doesn't own an E30 M3.

DawieM3, if I had my way i'd make you drive a Ford Focus for 10 years then you might appreciate being able to own an E36 M3 biggrin1

Oh and non of this means I don't like the original M3, far from it, I had posters of them on my walls when I was little.

Peter, you forgot the 3L vs Evo snobbery though it isnt as rife here as elsewhere.

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
DAWIEM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 14:33

Peter,

I have never made an adverse comment against any E36 forum member. I have a view on the E36 and am entitled to it. Just as you prefer to roam the E30 tech forums.

A member wanted to provoke a responce from the E36 boys so now you have it.

I still stand by my comments posted earlier, as that is my honest opinion.  And if you asked my other half her opinion, she will tell you that she hates the E30 M3 and will never drive one.

I don`t get all upset and then spit my dummy out about it. We are all entitled to our own view on things.

But chew on this, If an E30 guy asked a question, I`m sure he would receive a number of replies, not necessary for the E36.

It is quite clear that the E30 boy`s are more active when it comes to the  forum.

I glad we have woken up the E36 lads and hopefully Andy will receive a few more responces to his posts.

Now I really hate that car. Where are the matches. ( Joke guys )

Enjoy. No hard feelings. Life is to short to get upset over Sh         it like this.  

E30 M3 Road car ( Now in Hongkong )
E30 M3 Track Car
S14 2.0L 2002 in progress
E30 C2 2.7 Alpina
E36 M3 3.2 EVO
bhp555 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 15:31

DAWIEM3.......next time try sitting on the right when you drive the E36 M3..........Arms Out

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 16:09

Peter,

I have never made an adverse comment against any E36 forum member. I have a view on the E36 and am entitled to it. Just as you prefer to roam the E30 tech forums.

A member wanted to provoke a responce from the E36 boys so now you have it.

I still stand by my comments posted earlier, as that is my honest opinion.  And if you asked my other half her opinion, she will tell you that she hates the E30 M3 and will never drive one.

I don`t get all upset and then spit my dummy out about it. We are all entitled to our own view on things.

But chew on this, If an E30 guy asked a question, I`m sure he would receive a number of replies, not necessary for the E36.

It is quite clear that the E30 boy`s are more active when it comes to the  forum.

I glad we have woken up the E36 lads and hopefully Andy will receive a few more responces to his posts.

Now I really hate that car. Where are the matches. ( Joke guys )

Enjoy. No hard feelings. Life is to short to get upset over Sh         it like this.  

Woken us up? Quite clear that the E30 boys are more active on the forum? You're just being too damn gracious. Hell do all E30 M3s come with self-polishing halo's as standard or as options?

Only joking.

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2005 at 19:20
Well, this is certainly a nice lively debate
Never driven an M car yet, got close to buying an M5, but it got snaffled under my nose. Hey ho.

Had 2 E30's, a 316 coupé, and a 320i auto. loved em both despite their faults.
Got an E36 now, but couldn't shake the E30 thing (ti rear end runing gear based on an E30 )

So if you are in doubt what to go for if you cant make up your mind between an E30 or E36, then get an E36 compact , shove an M3 engine in it and it should go like a rocket (ti's weigh less than saloon)

<puts flack jacket on, and hides in nearest bunker>

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
David321 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2005 at 07:45

Certainly an interesting post.

Andy, I "upgraded" from E30 baby M3 (318iS...) to E36 M3 firstly for some serious performance, secondly for some comfort whilst driving to Scotland and other far flung family and thirdly because 321bhp (or whatever amount it actually is) and no traction control was always going to be huge fun. Plus in a discreet colour (not Dakar yellow...) it is pretty discreet and not too brash, unlike Subaru, Cossies etc.

A conscious part of that descision for me was to spend a lot less time under the car fixing and replacing things, especially as the M3 is my only transport. I've certainly found the forum pretty helpful on a number of niggling items and lots of good money saving tips.

Only had the car a couple of months, but hopefully I can share what I learn about the car as I go on.

E36 M3 Evo - Techno Violet
Previous & current rides...
Radar View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2005 at 10:59
I replaced my E30 M3 with an E36 Evo Saloon when my wife got an SLK. We needed something slightly more practical as an alternative to the SLK.

I really loved my E30 and every so often I look around to see if I can obtain another E30 to cherish.

I used to do all my own work on the E30. The E36 has an extended BMW warranty, so in the interests of preserving this BMW do all the servicing - though I often have to take printouts from the forum to them when I am describing something I want repaired....

The E36 is brilliant for motorways and carting people, not too bad in the handling (nothing is as much fun as an E30).

Most importantly it starts everytime.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2005 at 12:49
Originally posted by David321 David321 wrote:

Plus in a discreet colour (not Dakar yellow...) it is pretty discreet and not too brash, unlike Subaru, Cossies etc.

David, IMO technoviolet is the best colour on the Evo unfortunately when I was looking I only saw 2 Evos in technoviolet, 1 with no service history and another without BMWsh or warranty.

m3kuk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2005 at 13:36
I think my Evo handles superbly,as did my last one.
Takes a while to get used to the body roll built into
the handling.I suspect E30 M3's have v. stiff susp,
as was the fashion at the time.
Iv'e driven a mate's 911(993) Carrera 2'S' and my M3 **** all over it.Evo can pull 1G in a corner too!
ps. If my silver one makes less than 300BHP I'll eat
a **** sandwich!It's blindingly quick!

Edited due to langauge content, please read forum guidelines.

Edited by Rhys

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic