Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 overheating!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 overheating!
    Posted: 02-April-2003 at 10:51

Seems a popular one this....

My e30 325i sports (1990) starts to get very hot  after about 5 mins. Also the heating is not coming on. Suddenly, the heating comes on and the engines cooles down then goes off again etc etc.

I suspect it could well be the thermostat or pump. I'm going to check the pump today but wondered if anyone could tell me where to find the termi and if the car can be run without it as a test i.e does it form part of the seal?

Cheers as ever guys!

Sponsored Links

paul325i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2003 at 12:02
Sounds like a thermostat problem as you say, is the engine actually that hot? or is it a fault with the temperature sender or gauge, which always plays up.

Visit My BMW
Got an E30? Visit The E30 Zone
nickp View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2003 at 12:02

hello mate,

i've got a 320i so i assume the layout is pretty much the same, the stats at the front of the engine with the the big hoses connected to it(i'm no mechanic!). thats the best way i could describe it really. i've had mine out before and it wasnt really difficult to do, just make sure when you put it back/replace it all the hoses and seals are done up properly mine leaked a little when i put it back, had to re seat an o ring on the seal but apart from that mate it was a piece of p**s!.

hope this helps.

nick

Adam Garside View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2003 at 14:45

It's easier to remove and check the Thermostat than the water pump.

If you look at the engine from the inlet side, there is a set of three coolant pipes converging at different angles into a metal housing. The thermostat is in there. Taking the water pump off is a more difficult task involving removing the Radiator and working through the front grille.

Is it loosing coolant too? If so check for any Mayo on the inside of the oil filler cap showing a possible cylinder head/headgasket problem. Any water in the footwells from a leaky heater matrix?

I should know, mine has had two overheating problems leading to a replacement Head!

Good Luck!!

Adam.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic