Forum LockedMotorsport 635csi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2005 at 17:51

Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

That extra weight will make a difference on the road - the question is whether you will notice

Well if you don't notice it then it isn't making a difference!

When the E30 Zoners took their cars to a rolling road session they were expecting big things - chipped, cone filters, big exhausts, modded afm's you name it. There was only a couple that put out more power than standard. But they all thought their cars were faster.

Fact is an '85 "basic" has a power/weight ratio of 149bhp/tonne whilst a Highline has 139bhp/tonne. Like you'll notice that on the A635. Autocar bangs on about tenths of a second here & there. You just don't notice unless you're using a stopwatch.

What have you got against hairdressers? Did one pass you in his Highline?

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sponsored Links

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-February-2005 at 18:46
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

What have you got against hairdressers? Did one pass you in his Highline?

Nah, they just seem incapable of sorting out my double parietal hair whorl....

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 01:29

I like many others have no problem running 95 RON unleaded in the earlier 10:1 cr engine, even though you can't readily adjust the ignition timing, it seems fine without any tweaking.

Oh, and I weighed my aluminium bumper parts;

The front bumper (Al part only + number plate mounting only) weighs in at 14kgs. This isn't disasterous- I think there is quite a lot of metal in the chrome version.

However, the rear bumper (with underside valance and brackets fitted, but otherwise incomplete) weighs over 30kgs (over 66lbs in real money...). I was definitely in the mood for a little sit down and a nice cup of tea after I'd weighed this....

The chrome rear bumper is postively gossamer-like by comparison. Maybe they were trying to even out the slightly front-heavy weight distribution... who knows...

Here's a thought; although the M30 engine is great, and it is lighter than the M-car engine it is still a very heavy engine. So how about fitting the new lightweight 6-pot engine/gearbox in an E24 (E28 base) chassis? You'd be looking at very good torque, 250bhp, a very slick gearbox and about 1350kgs (or a bit less) with improved weight distribution in standard trim. This should match or better M-car performance up to about 130mph, and would be better round corners and on the brakes. With no need for a catalyst and less demanding emissions tests I'd imagine there would be more power to come without too much difficulty also. With a range of E24 Carbon bodywork parts now available (front bumper/spoiler, wings, bonnet etc), a sub 1300kg kerbside weight with a fairly standard appearance is on the cards, potentially making it a real 'Q' car.

...hmmmm, interesting....

Who wants to go first?

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 04:18

Brucey,

I wonder how much a new 6 pot 3 litre engine costs? Your unlikely to find many in the breakers just yet. You could probably buy a decent M635 for the money.. LOL a_smil17

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Jonners View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 05:53
think the point's been missed

as stated the extra weight will make a difference

if you don't notice it will probably be because you're not tuned in to these things

not saying there's anything wrong with that but if that's the way you are don't make out that just because you can't notice it must be because there's no difference

as i said it's not just the power to weight thing it's the handling, stress on tyres and brakes etc

as for hairdressers, hope you're not going to tell me you don't know what i mean..
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 06:01

I see the latest diesels have an alloy block. The 535d twin turbo has 272bhp & 413lb/ft torque. Now that would overcome any excess Highline weight.   Of course, putting the power down would be another matter !

On the weight issue of the bumpers - would drilling them out Meccano style make much difference or would it compromise strength too much?  They are handy when some numpty is trying to park their 4x4 by ear!

AndyS

sharknose View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 06:07

I see the latest diesels have an alloy block. The 535d twin turbo has 272bhp & 413lb/ft torque. Now that would overcome any excess Highline weight. 

Diesel 635?? Lovely.....

Seriously though, I am quite interested in the whole carbon fibre bodywork idea. From what I can tell there's outer wings, bonnet and front airdam available in carbon fibre - that's got to add up to quite a weight saving. I don't know what the weight distribution is on a standard 6 but that should balance it up nicely. Shame about the price though....

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 07:12

OK just to thread some light on a couple of points.

last year Ivan and myself had a day at Santa Pod. At the quarter mile point my manual six was just under a second faster. Now we both have chrome bumper cars with similar specs. The difference was down to the extra weight of the auto box and some down to the manual gearbox. That is based on the assumption that both cars mechanically are as they should be which i know is the case with my car and i believe is the case with Ivans. Anyway we did not race each other directly as there was a problem with the track, but i did race a 2002 Tii which had the same standing quarter time and was crossing the line some 60 - 80 yards ahead.

Another friend of mine has a highline and the difference in performance is much greater. With him manual selecting gears and moving at 30mph on entry onto a motorway i can pull about a 50 yards gap before entering the motorway. My friend was quite miffed at the difference and certainly on twisty roads he has to try harder to corner at the samee speed due to the increased roll compared to my lighter car.

With regards to carbon Fibre panels i  know that a steel bonnet weights in at 35kg's and the carbon fibre weight between 3.5kgs and 5kgs depending on whether it is single or double skinned and how it is fixed to the car. Also the front spoiler and bumper is about the same weight, but is around 5kgs in carbon. Carbon fibre wings are 1.5KG's and doors can be done for about 15kg's. Overall i think it could be realistic to loose between 80 - 100Kg's by moving over to carbon fibre. The gains in performance of doing this would require substancial money to be spent on the engine for example to gain the same performance yeild. However if this was done to the engine, the brakes and suspension would need to be improved whilst the lighter car would not.

Sunday 10th July Brooklands Sharkfest and Big Coupe Day. Coupe Events
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 08:36
1978 635CSi manual 0-100 23.4 secs, 16.2 1/4 mile
1983 635CSi manual 0-100 19.9 secs, 15.4 1/4 mile
1983 635CSi Auto       0-100 20.5 secs, 15.7 1/4 mile
1989 635CSi Auto       0-100 21.5 secs, 16.7 1/4 mile

Fastest non M Power 1/4 mile was posted
by.....original 1976 4 speed 633CSi, 14.9 secs. It's all
about gearing as well as weight.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 08:37
Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

...last year Ivan and myself had a day at Santa Pod. At the quarter mile point my manual six was just under a second faster. Now we both have chrome bumper cars with similar specs. The difference was down to the extra weight of the auto box and some down to the manual gearbox. That is based on the assumption that both cars mechanically are as they should be which i know is the case with my car and i believe is the case with Ivan's.

You also have to factor reaction times to the "green light" into this. Who's to say that if my reactions had been quicker I would have been that much closer to your 1/4mile time?

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 08:39
Originally posted by Andy Boy Andy Boy wrote:

...1983 635CSi Auto       0-100 20.5 secs, 15.7 1/4 mile.

Interesting. The best I could get for mine was 17.01 for the 1/4mile...

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 12:23
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Sohlman Sohlman wrote:

...last year Ivan and myself had a day at Santa Pod. At the quarter mile point my manual six was just under a second faster. Now we both have chrome bumper cars with similar specs. The difference was down to the extra weight of the auto box and some down to the manual gearbox. That is based on the assumption that both cars mechanically are as they should be which i know is the case with my car and i believe is the case with Ivan's.

You also have to factor reaction times to the "green light" into this. Who's to say that if my reactions had been quicker I would have been that much closer to your 1/4mile time?

I agree reaction time is a factor in a race, but the timing equipment at santa pod starts once you pass their timing gate. So in essence you get 2 readings. One from green lights to initial movement and the other from initial movement to end of the quarter mile.

Sohlman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Coupe Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 12:29

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Andy Boy Andy Boy wrote:

...1983 635CSi Auto       0-100 20.5 secs, 15.7 1/4 mile.

Interesting. The best I could get for mine was 17.01 for the 1/4mile...

The best i got was 16.28. I can only presume that as santa pod runs up hill that is where the difference occours.

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 12:31

Originally posted by Jonners Jonners wrote:

think the point's been missed

as stated the extra weight will make a difference

if you don't notice it will probably be because you're not tuned in to these things

as for hairdressers, hope you're not going to tell me you don't know what i mean..

Not so much the point as the relevance.

Yes the Highlines do have a lot of unnecessary kit (as do non-Highlines) but without it they wouldn’t be “luxury” coupes would they.  BMW have tried selling lightweights before – the original & M3 CSL’s.  People just load them back up with all the toys.

Yes, the Highline bumpers are big & heavy – but they do serve a purpose.

I accept Highlines are heavier and while the non-Highline I’ve driven wasn’t back to back it wasn’t night & day.  On a track in competition where a 10th second can make a difference it’s relevant – but on the road ?

Sohlman claims a 50 yard advantage down a sliproad.  From what he’s told me about the difference in braking systems between Highlines & pre-Highlines I could gain it all back after a few corners!

The power to weight advantage is small  (139 to 149bhp/tonne) and after all the Six is not a sports car in the way a similar age Porsche 911 is.

I'm as tuned in as anybody thanks.

As for hairdressers – how do you know I’m not one?

AndyS

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-February-2005 at 18:35

...As for hairdressers – how do you know I’m not one?

Well, hello, darling...

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 04:45

It's no good grovelling, I can't do anything about your double parietal hair whorl . . .

. . . just get a No.1 !

AndyS

Brucey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 13:43

In all fairness (although I'm not in favour of heavy cars if the extra weight serves no real purpose) I would concede that Andy has a point- you could have a fully loaded chrome bumper car that was heavier than a highline with no toys. But most of them are not like this.

Actually, I don't think a 6er needs to be loaded up with toys to be considered a luxury coupe; this much is kind of built-in.  On the other hand (like any sports car) it needs all the power, weight loss and handling it can get if performance is at all important. Up to a point, there is no such thing as too much of any of them.

To some extent I suppose it boils down to an aesthetic thing in the end. I used to race bicycles and I still ride them and motorcycles. Both these things can instil in you a powerful sense of what is right in terms of lightweight engineering construction for performance. Anything that doesn't work well enough and/or is too heavy just gets junked. Even though it doesn't really matter any more, to this day I can't bear to see something any heavier than it needs to be on my bikes; it just upsets me  -like a defaced work of art it isn't the thing it was, should or could be.

I'm generally not so fussed about cars but the same logic applies. For instance, I remember being very pleased to see that the original Lotus Elise had aluminium composite brake discs and went as fast or faster than many more powerful and exotic cars, without the benefit of big horsepower. I even remember being pleased to see the absolutely minimalist quality of the stereo Lotus offered- like everything else it was pared down to almost nothing yet still worked very well. A design like that is the product of a very single-minded approach to everything, sparing no quarter.

Extra weight for no gain or a non-performance gain is the simple antithesis of the above approach;  whilst I would agree a 6 series is never going to be a lightweight sports car in the same vein as a lotus, there is definitely scope for altering it for the better, without losing those things that make it the (almost iconic) car it is. Less weight, more power and better handling please, not the other way round. 

Just my two pence worth.....

cheers

~~~~~~~ Brucey   ~~~~~~
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 17:37

It's no good grovelling, I can't do anything about your double parietal hair whorl . . .

Oh dear......

Leroyhighline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2005 at 13:36

Looks like the car that was at Donnington last year.

Condition looks good for the mileage.

Motorsport Editions are rare - only 181 allegedly. How "special" they are depends on your point of view (I'm biased!).  They ticked most of the boxes on the options list; lsd, uprated suspension, M-Tech steering wheel, wheel arch spats, Sports seats & colour (mine's Misano Red) plus all the Highline features.

Leroyhighline View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-February-2005 at 13:54
Hi Andy is there anything official on the log book that tells you if you have a Motorsport edition 635, mine has all of the features above but not sure of the suspension (how do you find out)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic