Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW '02 Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedignition lock removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition lock removal
    Posted: 06-April-2003 at 02:06

I'm looking for some advice on how to effectively remove/repair/replace the ignition key lock.

long story short - son broke old/original ignition key off in lock boot (piece since retrevied) spare new key cut fitted in but inexplicably will now not work, so intention is to take lock to a locksmith and have him 'fix' lock and cut a new key that most resembles the original.

Sponsored Links

rfinston View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2003 at 18:53
Hi Daniel,
If the locksmith is near enough to afford his coming to you or you bring the car to him that may be your best strategy. I checked with a local BMW recycler (here in the San Francisco Bay area of California) and was told that removal of the ignition lock, ignition switch, steering lock mechanism is "of a piece" and is not easy for the inexperienced. He said that a new on to replace your as a whole is $107 (US), and that he'd give me a tutorial on how to do it. He conjectured that even if you fixed the lock cylinder some other part of the unit would be worn out in the future. However, being one to avoid unnecessary repairs, I would encourage you to give the locksmith a shot at the cylinder to see if it can be made useable for you without going thru the removal process that sounds quite formidable. That is the best advice I can givce you from halfway around the world.
Roland
P.S. The "start' section of my '67 1600-2's ignition switch recently went bad, so I got around the problem by setting a push button starter switch in its place. Kind of neat and "Old Fashioned". If you live in a relatively benign area you might also think about merely devising a new set of ignition and start switches that don't require a key and just forget about the locking aspect.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic