Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 318ise Auto (M40) judder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 17:18

I wouldn't use Slick 50, but it's your car, your choice.

If you have an M40 engine where you can't hear the valve gear from inside the car, leave it alone! This engine is notorious for valve gear wear.

My money is on an air leak, possibly via the servo, but any of the hoses could do it. Also you could have dirty injectors. Have you tried some injector cleaner?

Cheers, Neil
Sponsored Links

SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-February-2005 at 17:42
Originally posted by neileg neileg wrote:

My money is on an air leak, possibly via the servo, but any of the hoses could do it. Also you could have dirty injectors. Have you tried some injector cleaner?

Ref the air leak theory; surely if there was a vac leak, the problem would be constantly occuring from cold, not just when the engine is up to normal running temp?...

I'll give the injector cleaner a try if all else fails though.

Cheers.

neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 01:54
When the engine is cold, the mixture is enrichened and this would tend to mask the weakening effect of an air leak.
Cheers, Neil
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 07:40

I would like to add that Slick 50, IMO is NOT recommended.

They are in court at the moment for misrepresentation and mis selling and they have had a lot of payouts for engines they have knackered. I saying that I have also heard good reports as well so it's up to you.

To add to that that the clicking you hear from the head could be clogged injectors, when they are dirty/old the ball bearings inside can tick and can sound like noisy tappets.

Rob

1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 10:15
Originally posted by Madrab Madrab wrote:

To add to that that the clicking you hear from the head could be clogged injectors, when they are dirty/old the ball bearings inside can tick and can sound like noisy tappets.

Rob

It's definitely tappety, the slick did help a little (only a little mind you), took it for a blast down the motorway and the judder isn't as frequent/agressive as it was, but its still most definitely there.

Dropped it into a mechanic friend of mines when I got back and both of us had a good listen under the bonnet. He's deduced that its missing  Systematically unplugging the H.T's one by one we found that number 3 is doing very little...

It's looking a bit more serious than an intake problem, and a damned site more costly as well i'm betting   Whats really getting me down is that the thing drives lovely, its just at standstill when idleing its all over the place.

Gutted and confused of the North.

Edited by SBSD
born-slippy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 11:10

Have you changed the plugs?? and was it missing before you changed the plugs??..You could have a dodgy replacement plug its known to happen and dont forget the leads either.

Plus the 'missing' might be down to a blocked/worn fuel injector so dont think the worse yet.

SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 12:24

Hi Slippy,

Yes mate, I did change the plugs just as a matter of course, although having said that, the ones I removed looked virtually new...

I've considered a blocked injector and thats yet to be investigated, but i'm thinking a compression test next in the search for more clues.

As number 3 didn't seem to be doing a great deal, i've also started to consider the possibility of a worn camshaft lobe, if the compression is low on one cylinder in conjunction with the rough idle, that could be one possibility, anyone disagree?

Cheers.

Hammer1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 16:24

I guess he did the pulling each pluglead trick and see if the engine note changes and pulling off 3 never made any differences.So that would rule out plugs and lead on that cylinder

Thinking about it.I would of thought your car would of been really rough if its only running on 3 cylinders.I've driven a 6 cylinder running on 5 (a faulty injector would you believe!) and that was quite noticeable.

Did the missing clear the faster you went?

Best to go for a compression test and go on from there.

e36 318ti sport
SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-February-2005 at 16:37
Originally posted by Hammer1 Hammer1 wrote:

I guess he did the pulling each pluglead trick and see if the engine note changes and pulling off 3 never made any differences.So that would rule out plugs and lead on that cylinder

Spot on, Hammer.

Popping the lead off number 3 made no difference at all, and indeed its a compresion test next looking for more clues, the wierd thing is, if it was only running on 3 pots it should run like a bag of spaners but it doesn't.

It drives smoothe as silk and pulls really well, its just at idle when its misbehaving. I really am getting confused and frustrated with this damned car.

SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2005 at 22:17

FOUND IT!

Now don't I just feel a pratt? 9 times out of 10 erratic idles on these cars seem to come from vac leaks or air intake probs of some sort, and i've spent that long focussed on that line of thinking that the problem has eventually more or less jumped up and bitten me on the backside!

I started to notice a faint whiff of petrol with the heater on whilst driving, yep, you guessed it!.. leaking injector, pound to a penny thats whats making her spluter.

Off to the garage tomorrow, methinks.

Edited by SBSD
born-slippy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2005 at 18:01
Nice to hear you might of cracked it
SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2005 at 19:04

Yeah, i'll update you when i eventually get to the garage, been another day from hell today but i'll get there in the end...

Thanks for all the help fella's.

SBSD View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2005 at 06:15

UPDATE:

Just back from the garage having finally made some time this morning, replaced the two hoses to the fuel rail and also the injector O-rings, plus given the spray heads a quick clean up and touch wood so far its driven smoothe as silk.

Reminded myself why they call them $tealers though! 6 quid for four flaming O-rings?!  blimey, only thing missing from the lads in parts was the facemasks and swords!

Edited by SBSD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic