Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > South Western Area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW 318i Insurance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW 318i Insurance?
    Posted: 07-April-2003 at 23:12

Hi guys,

Im 17 and am currently doing driving lessons... Im very keen on the BMW 318i 1991-1993 models (the newer type shaped ones) and am seriously thinking about purchasing one.

However its not the price of the car that concerns me but the insurance quote that i'll receive... Being at such a young age and driving such a high powered car its going to be hard to get anything below £2000.

So im basically wondering if any of you guys can recommend any Insurance companys that will suite me.

Im currently working full time aswell as working freelance as a webdesigner in which I have a fair monthly income. So paying insurance off monthly isnt a disaster but if its too expensive Ive got no chance.

Any info or help would be great... e.g. any car's you can recommend that have lower insurance but still offer the same look/feel/class as any other BMW.

Thanks in advance :-)

(a fellow south-western'er Wink)

Sponsored Links

Amit325i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2003 at 01:25

Well I am afraid its all bad news,

insurance is impossible and dare i say it is because of younger drivers or lets say least experienced drivers. I am 24 and I got my 325i when i was 22,

I had been trying to get that model of car since i was 17!!

Now I have seen the change in the insurance industry, its just getting more expensive, a very good friend of mine is a insurance broker and he said to me the bottom line is that the companies have had enough of making losses.

plus world economy 911 war etc all jack things up.

Bad news is that formerly some vehicles had 25+ age restrictions on them ie you had to 25 or older to drive >> 325i is 25+ , the rules have gone one worse now the same car is 30+ with many companies!

The better news is that with lower power cars they'll be cheaper in all respects, plus you get good experience, remember a car with a insurance rating less than 10 is better. Plus you will build up no claims hopefully!!

Or if you really want get a 318i, get it on your mum/dads name otherwise you will need a mortgage to insure it. Plus shop around try the net etc but watch out, i have had bad experience with the net, where a company under sold a policy which eventually was cancelled!

Good luck!

Alfy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2003 at 23:00

ouch.. i received 1 quote today for £2700 thats £700 more then the car! i currently make £200 a month while studying at college at the same time so i wouldnt even be able to cover it monthly either!

Im looking at a Vauxhall Corsa now Disapprove

And work my way up as you said.

I do motocross which means i have to travel all around the UK too get to race events etc while hauling a trailer with my 2 bikes on the back.. So you can imagine what a pain that would be with a 1.0 car Unhappy

Anyway thanks for the info :-) hopefully get a quote from Tesco's Insurance on the BMW and see if its all over or not. Then its onto the Corsa !

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic