Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked328i sliding off road

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 328i sliding off road
    Posted: 20-February-2005 at 14:16
I have a 1997 328i Touring which I bought 2 years ago. I have now had 2 very dangerous moments with it and desperately need some advice!

Some while ago, the roads were a bit damp, I went round a sharp corner at a sensible speed and accelerated away, when suddenly the back end just slid out and the car did a 360 degree turn. Shaken by this, I replaced the back tyres (now Goodyear Eagle F1s) and had the handling checked by my local BMW dealer - nothing detected. All seemed ok until this weekend I was driving my family back from Norfolk and we hit blizzard conditions.

There was about half an inch of wet snow and I was in a convoy of cars doing about 40mph when I just slighly touched the brakes. Immediately the car just seemed to lose all steering control and I slid helplessly into the path of the oncoming traffic, luckily avoiding hitting anyone but ending up in the verge on the other side of the road. The car was undamaged but even getting to the other side I seemed to have no control over the front wheels, and a strange grinding noise came from underneath us. Sat in the blizzard for 4 hrs and was eventually towed home as I did not want to risk my family driving it any further.

However, next day I drove it gingerly round the block and it seems fine - sterring ok and no grinding noise. Now I am really worried this lack of control over the steering will strike again and I will not be so lucky as the previous occasions. It seems that whenever the road conditions are difficult, the car decides to spin! It has traction control, anti-lock brakes, all the usual features, but it seems that my car is less able to handle wet roads than a 1980 Ford Fiesta.

Please can anyone suggest what the problem might be? I would be really grateful for any advice.
Sponsored Links

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 14:32

Strange grinding noise could have been anti lock working. In some conditions its possible to stop in a shorter distance without the anti lock. Did you have brakes full on as on snow/ice you would tend to slide not steer How worn are your tyres now ?

As for fiesta, it had skinney tires so would cut through snow/ ice as opposed to wide tires you have that would Aquaplane. Look at the Rally cars on Snow, they only have narrow tyres.

Hope this helps

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 17:06

I find my 328 a real handfull in snow. The 225 tyres really do it no favours. Goodyear eagle F1s are performance tyres and will be rubbish in the snow. If you look on the Mytyres website they have reviews and most high performance sports tyres get 1 out of 6 for grip in snow.

The grinding noise may be the ABS. It might be worth getting the traction control and the ABS checked though.

Another thought, is this the first RWD car you have driven. They require a different approach to FWD cars and demand a bit more respect.

Final thoughts, IMO 40 mph is too fast for driving on a snow covered road. I was driving in similar conditions today and I stuck to 30mph. The 360 spin could have been due to oil on the road. Like I said RWD cars can catch you out in low grip situations. 

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 17:26
I did a 760 degree spin on a roundabout after a heavy rain, I hit a patch of oil (only thing I can put it down to) and just had to sit there till it came to a stop. Wasn't shaken at all which was good. All this was in an e30 320i running 205's.
Allways been advised to put some weight in the boot when conditions are slippery.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
sil328 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 18:09
All, thank you for your comments. I don't think the grinding noise could have been the anti-lock as I was not braking when it was making the noise. As I skidded across the road, I did make a conscious effort not to slam on the brakes as I knew this would reduce my ability to steer, although it didn't make the steering any easier - the car seemed to have a mind of its own and was not going to be distracted from its progress across the road and onto the grass on the other side. However, the noise was at its worst when I was trying to manoevre out of the verge on the wrong side of the road, where the snow-covered grass was slippy, so is this where the traction control might have been trying to kick in? Maybe this was causing the noise....

Actually the AA van that arrived parked up behind me on the verge, then couldn't get out and had to call another recovery truck to pull him out! So you can see that conditions were not good at all.

I appreciate that RWD cars are different to FWD, but my last car was a BMW as well (10 years of BMW driving now!) and I never had any problems with it in adverse conditions. The tyres still have loads of tread but when I bought the F1s I didn't think about snow - grip on wet and dry roads was rated as good but snow wasn't mentioned!
Good point about the skinny tyres on the Fiesta, Peter H - that was not a very good analogy of mine!

I am just worried now that if I can be driving in a straight line in slippy conditions and the slightest touch of the brakes causes the car to veer into oncoming traffic, is it safe to drive? In hindsight maybe 40mph was a bit too quick but I was in a line of traffic and everyone felt safe at that speed (except me when the accident happened!), as the snow was light at that time and only just starting to settle.

If the noise was the traction control I could get that looked at, I suppose, but as for the cause of the skid, maybe the answer is just to never drive in snow, but should I really have to say this? I've seen the adverts showing the Jag driving up a ski slope, and was hoping the BMW could at least handle a few flakes!
Phantom_Mark View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 18:32

The idea of ABS is that you can give full brakes without locking the wheels thus full brake and steer at the same time, be wary tho as another thing which can cause a car to slide is weight transfer, even on a car with ABS you will still get the effects of the pendulem when you slam on the brakes say mid corner for example, this alone "could" induce the **** end to start sliding, simple rule of thumb, never rely on the ABS, always revert to it when you really have no other choice and about to die or crash , same is true with traction control btw, it "WONT" stop weight transfer induced rear end sliding, and of course weight transfer is so much more prevelant in snowy or icey conditions as the grip is so low.

Its entirely possible that maybe your rear wheel sensors for the braking /ABS system "could" be dirty or not working correct causing an abnormal amount of rear brake bias ?, im not a mechanic tho so just a theory ;)

Mark.

<<<<< The only way is up >>>>

( unless your in a 5 series, then sideways is cool too )

91' 525 24v Sport, Stainless Race Manifolds, PowerFlo Stainless + Decat, Big Bore Throttle Body, Viper 2 Chip + 17's, std BMW Air Filter :D
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 18:54
I have the same thing in the snow, even the slightest covering and my car is fine one minute and all over the place the next, while FWD cars look at me like I'm a nutter.  I agree that the grinding is probably ABS/ASC control cutting in as it does go beserk. 

I'm not looking forward to the forecasted snow, I think I'll be taking some extra weight in the boot  

It seems that heavier RWD cars aren't so bad in the snow, maybe it's down to the power/weight ratio. 
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 19:18

Originally posted by sil328 sil328 wrote:

Actually the AA van that arrived parked up behind me on the verge, then couldn't get out and had to call another recovery truck to pull him out! So you can see that conditions were not good at all.

Reminds me of the picture of the hiab-truck lifting a car out of the sea from a pier, it tipples over, they have to get a bigger crane, that does the same, so an even bigger crane is needed.

If anyones got the picture, please post it ... for those of you who havent the foggiest idea of what im talking about ... sorry, but if you saw it you'd understand.

Im sure it was Irish too   <gets flameproof suit ready>

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-February-2005 at 20:22
That was an Irish one, the van fell into the harbour and was lifted out by the red lorry, which fell in on top of it. Then the big green Scania turned up that lifted both the car and the lorry out. There is a set of photos going around at the moment where someone has photoshopped the green lorry falling in as well, funny but not actually what happened.

As for the snow, it happens to FWD cars too. My dad used to have a mk4 astra on 205 R16 tyres and it would just be all over the place in the snow, no grip and throwing the back end at every opportunity. Meanwhile my astra on 165 R14's just kept on gripping and going, so for the winter it is actually worthwhile investing in a set of steels with narrow tyres.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2005 at 03:25
My old car, a E39 520 Auto, made intermittant grinding noises when turning. It was low steering fluid as the pipes were leaking. I know it shouldnt affect the handling but I just thought you may have had a loss of power to the steering which affected it after a slide began??
Philip
sil328 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2005 at 13:54
It was of course Sod's Law that every journey I have previously taken up to Norfolk, the boot has been packed to the gunnels, but on this one occasion where I needed some weight in there, the boot was empty! I will know next time to tell the family to jump into the luggage area (328i Touring) next time it starts to snow!

Phillip - thanks for the thought on low steering fluid - it did feel as though I had no steering as soon as the slide had begun but I think this was just the snow! I'll have it checked though.

Scarface says " I have the same thing in the snow, even the slightest covering and my car is fine one minute and all over the place the next, while FWD cars look at me like I'm a nutter.  I agree that the grinding is probably ABS/ASC control cutting in as it does go beserk".  This does sound to me the most likely scenario, as it was certainly going beserk as I tried to scrabble out of the slushy verge. Is it really supposed to make that much noise though? It seems very un-BMW like...
scarface View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2005 at 15:53
It's been a while since I had a dicey moment, with the weather as it is, looks like I'm due for another one.   I'll pay more attention to what's going on and let you know.    Damn, reckon I just jinxed myself..
bmw325tds View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 04:03

An easy bit of advice if you think your car is skittery in the snow:  Buy a second set of wheels and put winter tyres on.  Eagle F1's are good in the dry, and okay in the wet, but like most other Summer tyres, will be rubish in the snow!

In Germany, it is law to have a set of winter wheels and tyres for just that reason.  It's also a good idea from a saving your alloys from the salt point of view!

Carl

Ford Focus 1.8TDdi Estate
Ford Focus 1.8TDdi
Porsche 944 Turbo

BM's gone, but maybe only temporary!
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 05:13
I would suspect that it is the road conditions that have cought you out rather than the car being at fault.

However, too much rear wheel braking is a bad thing and the bias on your car could be wrong.. the MOT tester would have picked up on that one though.. but it may be worth checking when the roads are safe to try it that the rear wheels are not locking up.

Whats your car like on dry roads? Is it good to drive? can you keep up a good pace on a winding B road... if so then there is nothing much wrong with the cars set up.

My guess is that it is over tyred.. and you need to take this into account when conditions are poor.

Some on the limit training may be in order here.. get booked in on one of our Better driving days and take advantage of the free instruction.. you will learn a lot about your vehicle.
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 08:12

I drove from Northumberland to Heathrow and back, yesterday, in my 318is. It also has 225 tyres and enough power to break traction even in slight damp. I don't have traction control. I also have a set of budget tyres (Eurotour, 65 a corner).

Despite the weather being atrocious, I had absolutely no problems, even overtaking lorries on the snow covered A1(M).

I make sure that whenever we get a fall of snow, I find an empty car park and remind myself how to handle the car in a skid in the snow.

Cheers, Neil
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 10:04
Originally posted by neileg neileg wrote:

Despite the weather being atrocious, I had absolutely no problems, even overtaking lorries on the snow covered A1(M).

I make sure that whenever we get a fall of snow, I find an empty car park and remind myself how to handle the car in a skid in the snow.

No disrespect intended Neil, but I think your mad  biggrin1

Overtaking in the snow!  

The trouble is even if you know how to handle a skid there's seldom room on a busy road to do it safely, especially since a bit of snow tends to make the traffic more dense. Being able to catch an oversteering car is fine but if the roads very busy you still stand a chance of hitting someone. If your doing anything over about 30 on snow and you loose it you are really going to struggle to get the car back while staying between the lines.

IMO the best way is to drive very slowly and avoid skidding as much as possible. Unless of course the road is empty, then you can have some fun!! biggrinbounce2

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 13:40
Snap! mines a 328i tourer 99 and in snow its as much use as a  husky dog in the sahara! The trouble is the tyre width is not designed for snow/ice and just aquaplanes at the slightest touch of the brakes .Best thing to do is go down to your local snow/hiking shop and buy some clampons or cheaper still get the bus!
Just Touring....
coupe king View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 13:54
One of the best all round tyres is uniroyal rainsports, they are sort of an all year round tyre and gets fair ratings in the snow too.
Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 14:03

Carl is right, winter tyres are the answer.

Here in Germany nearly everyone runs winter tyres from late Nov to Early March - it's not actually law except for on snow covered roads but just makes sense, particularly on larger, powerful, fast cars. I think the BMW engineers who designed your car would be very surprised to find you driving it on snow covered roads at all on summer tyres.

Tyre design is a matter of compromise. Summer tyres are designed for warm and dry roads, and can cope with some rain. Winter tyres are designed for cold (less than 7 degrees C), wet, ice and snow. They are thinner (most people switch to steel wheels two sizes smaller - eg 215 to 195, with big tyres maybe four sizes smaller), have different profiles/tread with more grooves and edges, and most importantly are made of a softer compound. Summer tyres get too hard in cold conditions. The disadvantage of winter tyres is they are usually a bit noisier and use more petrol.

I had never used winter tyres before moving to Germany, but having experienced how much more grip you get, not only on snow, but also on cold wet mornings, I only use winter tyres on all our cars from Nov to Mar. Plus I keep snowchains in the boot for when things get really nasty

Go Darkness
therealmccoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-February-2005 at 14:54
Whatever you do, don't do what some fool in a Chelsea Tractor did today...

There was a light covering of snow, so the moron put snow chains on!!!! The result was a nasty Shogun sparking as it went up the road - until a couple of tyres went!! HAHAHA!
Work Harder! A Million Benefit Claimants Depend On YOU!

E30 M3, The REAL McCoy!

89 M3 Now Sold

99 323i *FOR SALE*

PC Probs?? Click here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic