FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLost its grin factor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 15:26

I do believe that echo's my sentiments from earlier.

I too, like Spokey, remain convinced that MG/Rover will only be resolved once it has hit the bottom of the cliff and been picked up by someone for £1 (again).

Let's just hope that this time it isn't another farcical management buy-out designed to line a few pockets for minimum investment.

Even the Shanghai investment is in doubt now - because they've had the chance to see what a sham the whole thing is.

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Sponsored Links

grobda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 17:39
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

OK, first off, I am 100% certain that BMW were absolutely terrified of Rover. And well they should have been: an awful mashing of bland Japanese cars that we so well-built, they would fall apart if you f@rted in them. I can see that it was definitely worth the trouble of buying them, developing some new cars that weren't based on Japanese taxis and chucking huge amounts of money from a profitable business into a very unprofitable one. Those cunning Germans.

Why take the development cars? Because they had paid for them. Hugely.

If Rovers were awesome cars that sold themselves, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but they're not. I hate to sound even more cold and ruthless, but a large proportion of the problem with Rover is the perceived build quality, which is largely down to those same 6000 people whose jobs are in danger.

BMW should never have bought Rover, it was a bad business decision. But you can't blame them for realising afterwards that it was a bad investment and offloading it. BMW are not in business to keep UK workers in a job; BMW are in business to make money for their shareholders. Rover wasn't making money for their shareholders.

A bad business decision to take the most iconic small car name so your company can finally build something that doesnt fit in with your corporate image? IE a small, front wheel drive car. A whole new market emerges.
A bad business decision to obtain Land rover?... a nice hoard of research from one of the pioneers of mass-market 4x4s to read through before producing your own off-roaders and then flogging it off for a tidy profit.
A bad business decision to kill off rover? to eliminate a direct competitor?

I would suggest is was an excellent business decision. BMW have diversified into new markets and strengthened the business as a result. I dont blame them for that, but I dont agree with kicking Rover, whose cars are ageing, and an easy target to ridicule, but actually pretty good considering.
 Even my mums metro is fully fartproofed ;p

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 17:51
Originally posted by grobda grobda wrote:

I would suggest is was an excellent business decision.

But at what cost? It will take them years to recoup the investment that got thrown away, profit from Land Rover sale and Mini market notwithstanding.

Originally posted by grobda grobda wrote:

but I dont agree with kicking Rover, whose cars are ageing, and an easy target to ridicule, but actually pretty good considering.

I had the great misfortune to have a Rover 400 as a loan car once. I think I can say with absolute certainty that it was the worst car I have ever, ever driven. Cheap, nasty and flimsy, with awful roadholding and gutless to boot. Rattly, unpleasant and scary. I think it's fair to say that it left a fairly indelible impression on me. And I went into it looking forward to driving the car, it wasn't like I went into negatively.

If that's "pretty good", I'd hate to see what you think is a shed.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:03

So, line astern, unable to shake off or overtake: Porsche Carrera 4, Porsche 968 Club Sport, M Roadster (with serious AC Schnitzer modifications), Z1 and then Z3 1.9 auto.

Obviously I wasn't there but I find it very hard to believe that a Porsche carrera 4, a 968 club sport and an M roadster couldn't shake off a 1.9 Z3 auto. While I agree that it takes quite a large difference in performance to overtake another car, if your in front of a slower car it is quite easy to pull out a good lead. 

However if all the drivers were of a similar abillity that might explain it since very powerful cars can take a lot more skill to drive quickly. My last car, a lowley Primera, was very easy to take by the scruff of the neck and really fly down a twisty road. Although my BMW is a lot quicker car it took me a lot longer to master.

A final thought though. If a car like a carrera 4 cannot pull away from a Z3 then it is down to the drivers abillity not the car.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:20
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

So, line astern, unable to shake off or overtake: Porsche Carrera 4, Porsche 968 Club Sport, M Roadster (with serious AC Schnitzer modifications), Z1 and then Z3 1.9 auto.

Obviously I wasn't there but I find it very hard to believe that a Porsche carrera 4, a 968 club sport and an M roadster couldn't shake off a 1.9 Z3 auto.

Trust me, if I hadn't been there, I certainly would not have believed it myself. And we were going some. Let's just say I was on the very edge of my capabilities (if not my car's!)

When we stopped, I made a throwaway remark about the Z3 going well for a 1.9, because I was convinced it was a 2.8. When he said, "Yes, and it's an auto too" I actually went and looked under the bonnet and it was a 4-pot motor and it was an auto.

I've also been on the Isle of Man in the Z1 with the PCGB and I managed to hold on to everybody (who was trying to go fast) bar the nutter in the 4WD 420BHP 911 Turbo -- he overtook everyone in front of him in a single manoeuvre!

So, anyway, I stand by my remarks about being happy to take a 130i or 120d rather than a GTi.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:24
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

100% agree Grobda. As I have stated earlier BMW came in like vultures to kill off Rover's aspersions of being Britain's answer to BMW (as some of the motoring press were saying back in 1991/2). What better way to take down an organisation than from the inside? Then when they had suitably starved Rover, they sold up taking everything worth taking, including most of the development cars. Why take the development cars?? Because if Rover had built them, they would have been able to pick up their market share and BMW are in the same threatened position in ten year's time. So invest all the inheritance in developing cars, then take them away with you when you leave. Cunning.

As for Land Rover.... well we all know what happened there. BMW buys Rover group from BAe for £800m - sells Land Rover to Ford for £1.8bn. Nice tidy profit. Not to mention the marketing success the new MINI has been (can't stand the thing personally), think how much money Rover would have made from that? BMW also retain the rights to the name 'Rover', lending it out to Phoenix and with the power to take it off them at any point should they so wish. Why retain a brand name? I don't know.

It does annoy me when I hear people saying 'Ah, they should have let Rover die', or 'Who cares?' Well I do, and so do 6000 people in the Midlands if MG Rover sinks or swims. I hope in ten years time that MG Rover will be strong enough to have sustained model development and new cars competitive against the big names. If a car company's success was rated on the spirit and heart of it's workforce and development team, then MG Rover would win every time. If I ever have enough money, I will buy an MG ZT or Rover 75 over any foreign competitor such as BMW, Merc etc etc.

Firstly I agree in that I think we need to care about 6000 people potentially losing their jobs. Job loses in this country have an impact on our economy which affects all of us in Britain.

However the reason Rover was in the position it was when BMW took over was because the cars it made were rubbish. Ok the original 200 and 400 had their good points, but in terms of build quality there were dreadful. The 800 was a joke. If the company and it employees had thought more about the competiton and less about themselves during the 70's Rover may well have been trying to buy BMW in the 90's. People complain about BMW but in reality the british car industry has no one to blame but themselves.

The point about BMW buying Rover to stop them becoming competition is just nonsense.  

Oh and I don't like the new Mini either. I don't like cars that are fashionable and I think it looks silly. Ok if your best mates called Big Ears.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:27

So, anyway, I stand by my remarks about being happy to take a 130i or 120d rather than a GTi.

Nothing wrong with that. If we all chose our cars based on their absolute point to point speed we would all be driving Mitsibishi EVOs! Enjoying driving a car is about so much more than how fast it is Big Smile

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:29

Oh and I don't like the new Mini either. I don't like cars that are fashionable and I think it looks silly. Ok if your best mates called Big Ears.

I think it's a classic.  The perfect modern icon to replace the original one.  I'd have one tomorrow, any one of them.  Love them to bits.

I've driven a few too (a Mini One and a Cooper S) and they were absolutely fantastic.  If I could have as many cars as I wanted I'd have a Cooper S on my drive for the A to B blasts - it was one of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:31

Ok if your best mates called Big Ears.

So you're saying a MINI is a Noddy Holder?
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:34

Oh god no!  Arghhhh! 

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:45
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

Oh god no!  Arghhhh! 

I'd better stop before I get slayed.
Ciao,
Spokey

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 18:50

Please, no more, I give in, I give in!

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-March-2005 at 19:00
Well, it's bedtime, so I I'll say "Gudbuy t' Coasting", then.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 03:14

Ok if your best mates called Big Ears.

Exactly, fine if your address is toy town, but otherwise.......

IMO it is a cynical attempt to cash in on the old Mini name. Sure it is a good car, but it has about as much in comon with the original as I do with the Pope biggrin1 

grobda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 03:24

I drove a new cooper S and it was great fun.
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 03:52

I don't keep a car long enough for it to lose it's grin factor!!  that coupled with the fact I hardly get a chance to get out on the open road living in this bottleneck of a Southern capital, my average speed according to the OBC is 14 MPH, and has been in all other cars with OBC. Bah!!  so i still get the grin factor when I eventually get out!

Tonight will be it's first decent run in weeks!  get to take it to Kings Cross!!  Wow I here you say!!  exactly!

Mini's are great!!  I've got one of those too!  like a go-kart! 

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 04:13

IMO it is a cynical attempt to cash in on the old Mini name. Sure it is a good car, but it has about as much in comon with the original as I do with the Pope biggrin1 

So it doesn't have a lot in common with the original Mini - well it'd wouldn't sell too well in 2005 if it did would it!!!

For a start, it is exceptionally well built - which the original wasn't!

It's much safer.

It's much quicker.

It's just as much of a cult car, if not MORE, then the original.

It's a lot more expensive, I give you that.  But then again you're not getting bargain basement technology either.

The Mini is a super little car which both residuals and sales (linked of course) back up. However, more to the point the numbers of people selling their Mini's and getting another Mini are some of the highest customer retention figures in the market.

In terms of an attempt to cash in on the old Mini name.  Hmm, well at least they made a success of it!

The fact is that the new owners of names such as Mini, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Land Rover and many more are making a far greater success of producing decent cars than the original manufacturers ever did!!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 05:07

It is a great car (other than how it looks IMO), but it has nothing at all to do with the Mini. 

In my view a large amount of the new minis success is down to it trading on the name and image of the old car. I would have had more respect for it if they had badged it a BMW and called it something else. At least then it would be pretending to be something it's not. 

The old Mini was a bit like the VW beetle, it was a cheap cheerful car that everyone could afford . Now, as VW did with the beetle, they have taken it and turned it into an expensive fashion accessory.

It don't care at all how good it is, because in a few years time, when it goes out of fashion, just like the new VW beetle did, it is going to look daft. biggrin1

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 05:36

It don't care at all how good it is, because in a few years time, when it goes out of fashion, just like the new VW beetle did, it is going to look daft. 

I think a couple of things mitigate against the MINI's likely demise as a fashion accessory:

1. It is a mental car to drive, which the VW isn't.
2. The "cutesy" stuff in the car's design is fairly true to the original, thus is more timeless. They cutesy stuff in the VW was the result of "caring, understanding, nineties' type" marketeers.
3. BMW have established a very clear marketing image of the MINI and sustained it. VW have given up on the new Beetle, because it's just another Golf/Seat/Skoda/Audi that happens to have an old shape.
4. I think BMW have been fairly true to the original Mini, myself: the ride, boot (!), interior, handling and proportions are all quite similar but updated for newer technology.

Anyway, only time will tell.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2005 at 05:55

You  may well be right Spokey.

I think it looks a bit like a Tonka toy, especially with big wheels on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic