FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIn car distractions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:51
Originally posted by Phillip Phillip wrote:

I see your valid point Nigel. And I don't want to appear "stroppy" but its also the serious point of "bad "drivers. These cameras cost money to intall etc..and there is a real issue that all the time there is an increasing number of drivers who drive drunk/drugged, not insured, no tax or MOT. Now I dont know the figures but there seems less police on the road watching drivers than ever before. I do 600 miles a week just to and from work and its a rare sight to see a police car (except parked in the little chef-with no-one in it) from one week to the next.

Over the entire Xmas period I didnt see one car pulled over, and I do drive around at throwing out time, and neither did a single person I know. Now whilst I realise that there are other police duties to be carried out I just feel there is a direct link between cameras and less "police presence" on the road. Peolpe are getting away with serious law breaking as mentioned above. Just to finish off, my own choice would be to see the guy who is drunk or drugged  or uninsured get pulled over--not the guy who goes over the limit at night by a few mph (speeding is bad, yes, but at least if a policeman sees you he can use his judgement to decide if 70 mph in the dead of night in a 60mph limit was actually dangerous or not, a camera has no discresion)

I agree with everything you say, but its still not a reason to remove the cameras.

The chief constable of an area has been set targets by our stupid government, unless he achieves these, bang goes his job and pension ( except Herr Brunstrom, old 6% seems exempt this), so who can blame them.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 12:55

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Nigel, I see you playing the devil's advocate on a point by point basis. My point is that there is an overall case (in my opinion a very strong case) against cameras, just as there is an overall case (in my opinion a very weak one) for them. Scameras are the symptom, not the cause. But they do help to sustain the cycle of bad thinking about road safety, because they're so "effective" catching people for something which is harmless 99.9% of the time. Even where it is a factor in accidents, it's only a factor.

I think where scameras and speed law fundamentally fall down is in the overall strategy. I get so annoyed when I drive into a village and I see a sign saying not "Drive Carefully", but "Drive Slowly". So, keep your eyes focussed on your speedo and don't go a mile and hour over the limit, but feel free to ignore kids playing by the roadside, etc.

I believe you are absolutely correct, now prove it, against a Gov that pays for research from establishments that the same gov also gives grants too.

They have all the figures to back up the "scameras saves lives" lie, and will always fall back on they are only upholding the law.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:02

I am also advised that speeding is a criminal offence, so if your convicted your a criminal.

Horsey or Jonners, is this true of false ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:32
 Nigel, its 110% political Crap.You KNOW the Quickness of the Hand--deceives the EYE-Just convince 32-, 000 , 000, MILLION DRIVERS and 100 BILLION £££££££££ paid, that they have NO Right,s.ALL Talk--NO Action

Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:53

Its still surprising though, that even when we know speed cameras aren't needed, aren't achieving anything, etc etc, we still haven't come up with a good argument for having them removed.

Its a good one that " they are upholding the law, whats wrong with that ?, you support law and order don't you ? "

Best Wishes

Nigel

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 15:05
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Its still surprising though, that even when we know speed cameras aren't needed, aren't achieving anything, etc etc, we still haven't come up with a good argument for having them removed.

I came up with several good arguments. What you're looking for is a "silver bullet" -- a logically irrefutable and unarguable case. And when there is money at stake, there will always be argument.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 15:39
Originally posted by Praktisk Praktisk wrote:

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Just something to make you smile Toby.

I have a Tom Tom Go sat nav system, a snooper radar detector, and a road angel gps camera detector, it was pointed out to me recently, by one of my collegues who doesnt like these devices, that all three units are mounted so as to be within the sweep of my windscreen wipers, making all of them illegal, well the mounting of them anyway !

Your dashdoard must be on a parr with that of the Nebuchadnezzar(Matrix ship) Nigel.

So many buttons to press, so little time eh?  ...

<Snooper S5i - "beep beep beep beep">  - "Damn, false alarm, it's only a pelican crossing!"

Put mine on Ebay last month, was doing me blinking nut in.

Sounds like mine, Sat Nav, Phone & Radar, no time to watch Road !

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
AdznKi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 18:51

Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

As the law has banned the use of mobile phone while driving unless hands free, does this mean the police are also banned from using there 2-way radios while drive as i spotted one today using one, in snowy conditions as well. He was the only one in the car as well? I was in stationary traffic on the way to work and delayed because of the smow. I called the work to say i was going to be late, as the engine was running why would this consitute an offence?

A colleague of mine got fined £30 for looking down at her mobile recently. She was on the motorway and making a call using a hands free kit, but the phone was on her lap.

A copper was overtaking her on the M6 and saw she took her eyes of the road to look down at her phone. Can you believe it, the copper was alone in his car, so surely he was not concentrating fully on his driving.

I don't agree with actually holding the phone whilst making a call, but using an ear piece kit and still getting done just takes the mick! Surely your equally distracted from the road if your reached up to press your speed dial on your phone if its dashboard mounted or not.

One rule for us and one rule for them, even if they are supposed to be exempt for such rules. Just another stealth tax on the motorist if you ask me!
Adam B
2001 E39 M5 - Titanium Silver
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 20:04

in car distractions...

what about out of car distractions ..

today i was doing the M62  doing about 90 ish as is the genral flow at that sort of time .and as i was passing a slip road.as i allways look what comes on and off .them .today exiting one.there was this volvo but with the not the norm lights on in daytime rouitine.coming off the slip.mr pma slows to 75mph ....just in case the lilly law were embarking on the rd.and the police have that canny knack of making volvo lights turn off on request..dony they

as the road was bisy mr lilly law passed me .to catch all those peaple that were crims ..and low and behold ..the two peaple sat in clothed uniform were .enjoying coffee and i think a hotdog/sausage roll in there unmarked car.

iam sure with all there driving training and skill they are more than adiquate to be take control of a motor car.and i really do think that .but what would have been the case.if they thought or had seen me drinking my drink ;lighter a cig while trying to find the remote for the radio..ive done this but not in all one single time..but it could have happened

would the same nice smilley faces that passed me today.would have welcomed my action of hotdog and coffee while talking to hq ...hmmmm   nope dont  think so

by and large rules are there to be placed as a genral censius and are good if used in the right context..however if you suffer from unusal working hours and have to travel late on or early morning   4 am etc 

you will all understand that gatso etc WORK at that time ..but will never save a life .as its only you on the road

Edited by pma1ums
its a dogs world out there
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 05:51

Item on BBC Look East.Bank Manager appeared at Peterborough on charge of Not being in control of car.Accused was seen by traffpol to be Brushing his Hair with hairbrush.Bloody fool--serves him right.

Accused agreed he did use brush--- while Stationary in a gridlocked traffic jam, which included the t/poll.Nobody could move.Case dismissed---as was the last grain of commonsense and respect.

SAFETYFAST
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 06:45
pma1ums - was there meant to be picture in there.....or something else...it seems unfinis....

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 07:22

mr coasting

there was a rant in there ...but i think or presume .that it has been edited for some reason or another ..

its a dogs world out there
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 08:01
Originally posted by pma1ums pma1ums wrote:

mr coasting

there was a rant in there ...but i think or presume .that it has been edited for some reason or another ..

No, but the font has changed to white.
Ciao,
Spokey

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 09:30
if cameras are working why are accident rates up every year they install more cameras.

bad driving kills people .
cameras dont see the stolen car going up pavements ant less than the speed limit .
they dont see people getting car jacked.
they dont see any type of dangerous driving at less than the speed limit.
i have seen a car driving on a pavement outside a school during a school day , i reported it to the police and all they did was ask if i was driving while on my mobile b#ll###t
speeding makes money , catching bad driving dont , catching any other type of criminal dont make money,
that is the real issue.
did they catch the burgaler that nick my old mums gold etc NO
but the next day they nicked my sister for speeding on the next road doing 35 in a 30 .
while cameras make money the government wont change anything.
i have spoken to many a traffic cop and they nealy all seem to say the same that its the 40 mph brigade mostly oldies that cause most problems and scooter rider.
i end up behind 40mph brigade every day 30 limit 40 ,,,,60 limit 40 ,,,70 limit 40 .
sorry long post again.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 09:46
pa1ums!  Get your font colour changed!!!

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 12:02
Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

i end up behind 40mph brigade every day 30 limit 40 ,,,,60 limit 40 ,,,70 limit 40 .

Ooooh -- I've got issues! I absolutely detest it when you get the hairy eyeball from some old f*rt for daring to overtake him while he's doing 40 in a 60 zone. Then you get to a village and slow down to 30, all of a sudden, he's back on your tail, right up your chuff like you're holding him up.

Idiots!
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 15:45

Wow, lots of strong veiws.

A couple of things spring to mind.

Skull, the bloke who was jailed for hitting the old bloke. Well if he genuinely only looked at the speedo then hit him he must have had his eyes down for a while. Unless of course the old bloke was running very fast. Otherwise he would have seen the man at the side of the road before he looked at his speedo. Also I can glance at my speed in a second. Not long enough for some old bloke to get from the kurb to in the middle of the road.

B7VP, you do like to make lots of anti labour statements including Bliars slime etc etc. If you think any other party will do it better then vote for them in the up coming election. How many of them have said they will remove speed cameras if they are elected? Er that would be none. 

Spokey, your ideas for making the roads safer are all very interesting. The thing that strikes me is that they would probably meet with the same kind of response as speed cameras. Can you imagine people wanting to take there test every 5 to 10 years!!

Coasting made a very good point. It's very easy to critisise, but not so easy to come up with a vaible alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I hate speed cameras and the whole idea behind them.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 16:02
Peter Fenwick--You do like to dream on, hoping if you ignore it long enough, like the Bliar Fantasy world, it will Lie away.If YOU get a Double Repeat of this weeks "Smile yer on camera" you could be losing your job.Party before Real World eh!!! Vote On.
SAFETYFAST
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 17:10

LOL...thankfully my job isn't dependant on having a driving license.

I don't think ignoring the situation will make it go away, I just don't think that any party (that is likely to win an election) will do anything to change it. Also the biggest obstical in the way is that a lot of people support the whole anti speeding issue. If there was a lot of support for getting rid of cameras the opposition would have jumped on the bandwagon in an attempt to get more votes. The anti speed camera lobby is either a minority not worth listening too (from a politicians point of view) or the issue itself is not considered important enough to affect an election outcome.

What you need to do is convince the general public that the issue is worthy of their attention. Once everyone cares about it then it will become an issue that the politicians will address. You need to get a news paper onside to tackle it in a way like the Daily Mail has done with imigration. It has been constantly kept in the public eye so that the polititians now have no choice but to deal with it.

Also don't forget that with many issues such as speed cameras, imigration, i.d cards etc etc, a lot of people simply don't agree with you and never will. Since we live in a democracy you can't have it all your own way. The only way that would happen is if you were a totallitarian dictator who made everyone live by your rules.

A final though. No matter how right anyone ever thinks they are, there will always be people who think they are wrong and almost every aspect of life is ruled by politics. I learnt that very quickly at work! Big Smile

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-February-2005 at 17:21

We have no politics at work.

What I say goes.

(thats a joke guys, please don't accuse me of being a dictator next...!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic