FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIn car distractions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: In car distractions
    Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:15
As the law has banned the use of mobile phone while driving unless hands free, does this mean the police are also banned from using there 2-way radios while drive as i spotted one today using one, in snowy conditions as well. He was the only one in the car as well? I was in stationary traffic on the way to work and delayed because of the smow. I called the work to say i was going to be late, as the engine was running why would this consitute an offence?

Also why is it illegal to eat and apple, drink from a carton using a straw etc, but not illegal to smoke, light a cigarette, change the radio station or cd, turn the volume up, shout at the kids in the back while looking at them, speaking with a passenger and looking at them(which is like speaking to someone on a mobile phone), wind the window up or down, open the sunroof. The point i'm getting at is there are more distractions in the car than using the mobile or eating an apple.

If the issue regarding the policeman usinghis 2-way is because he receives an extra days training then why does Joe public not get this extra training. Before anyone else mentions the policeman could be on his way to a buglary at my house, but he could also cause an accident on the way and never get there.

The law just seems to be screwed up!
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:32

So many questions...

The law on use of radios etc is very strange

I cannot hold my mobile phone...

I can hold the mic of my ham radio

The police  (and the other services) are exempt for radio use, as are taxi drivers, and ham radio operators.

If I were to have an accident whilst holding the mic of my ham radio, it would count against me, as it would the police officer etc, but to actually hold it is not an offence.

Strangely, if you were talking on a hands free mobile phone and had an accident, and it became apparent you were using the phone, I'm advised you would be deemed to not be in proper control of the car.

Its a complete mess, and this is what happens when the government tries to spin safety.

As for smoking in the car whilst driving.....get lost lol, but that is a personal opinion !!

Best Wishes

Nigel

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:39
Nigel

But we hear of people getting fined for eating an apple, is this not just the same distraction as smoking?

As you say the law is a bit screwed up!
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:43

It is stupid Toby, it really is, I can only advise you what I know to be the regs, I cant justify them mate.

I hope they dont try and ban smoking, I try to stay within the law, but I doubt I'd adhere to that.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:48

Just something to make you smile Toby.

I have a Tom Tom Go sat nav system, a snooper radar detector, and a road angel gps camera detector, it was pointed out to me recently, by one of my collegues who doesnt like these devices, that all three units are mounted so as to be within the sweep of my windscreen wipers, making all of them illegal, well the mounting of them anyway !

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 18:48
Time to get someone else to drive your car, so that you can pay more attention to the distractions.....

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 19:05
How about the story of a bloke in the good 'ol U S of A that was pulled for having a tv fastened to the bonnet of his pick-up.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 19:11

He deserved that....american tv is rubbish

Best Wishes

Nigel

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 19:32

On the subject of smoking while driving

Why dont the people get pulled over for flinging the fag end out the window?

I mean dont they have ashtrays in there cars!!

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-February-2005 at 20:51
pete the reason they dont get pulled is because they cause accidents where there fag ends up down some poor sods helmet or coat while he is riding his bike and causes him to crash ,
anyway plod are too busy checking numberplate sizes and bike exhausts to worry about anything that may kill a motorcyclist, and when one gets killed its his own fault.
seen this happen and plod wasnt interested, he just gave the motorcyclist a ticket for a aftermarket exhaust.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 03:11

I agree it has all gone a bit mad at the moment, although I don't think people should use mobile phones while driving. I've been behind someone who all of a sudden slows down and started to drift around a bit, then I noticed they were on the phone! I only tried to use a handheld phone once while driving and found it impossible to concentrate on the road, some thing I have no problem doing while talking to a passenger, eating an apple, smoking a fag (when I used to smoke).

Skull your right, no ones interested in actually addressing the real causes of accidents anymore. I got my first speeding ticket yesterday, for doing 38mph in a 30 zone. It wasn't a built up area however, it was a temporary speed limit for road works on a dual carridgeway. I musn't have slowed down quickly enough. I wouldn't car the limit comes into force anout 1/2 a mile before the road works. 60 and three points Angry

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 03:54
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I hope they dont try and ban smoking, I try to stay within the law, but I doubt I'd adhere to that.

banning smoking ..hmmmm doesnt bear thinking about does it.....all that road rage .incidents would be up ten fold if smoking was banned.i for one [whos is so nice to other road users] carnt get the 5 mile trip in to the city centre without having at least 2 marlboros .and a red bull .

what would that same trip mean to someone who has the a short fuse???

its a dogs world out there
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 04:43
I think the safety nazis are waaayyyy out of control in this time and place. You can't do this, you must do that, what a load of BS. Especially when you compare the amount of emphasis given to bashing drivers and making our lives unbearable.

I don't really like it when people use their mobiles, it definitely distracts people a lot more than most other things, and I don't really know why. You can almost always tell from someone's driving when they're on a mobile, they slow down for no apparent reason and tend to drive without any clue what so ever.

However, picking on someone for taking a swig out of a bottle or having a fag is ludicrous.

Here is an interesting statistic: did you know that hospital acquired infections from the government-managed NHS directly kill nearly twice as many people as all the traffic accidents in the UK? And that they contribute to the deaths of 5-6 times as many people again?

If you look at actual accident statistics and not the Big Lie of 33%, then speed directly kills only about 7% of all the traffic accident victims and contributes to about another 5% (my numbers are hazy but I think I'm in the right ballpark)

All this means is that for every person killed on the roads, where excessive speed was in any way a contributory factor, the NHS directly kills more that 100 people through not taking care of the hospital superbug and contributes to the death of 300 more people. So, in other words, for every death that excessive speed contributes to, the NHS contributes to the death of 400 others.

Now: I don't advocate people dying in traffic accidents, and I agree that accidents should be reduced, but I wonder about all the publicity given to punishing us for speeding because it kills versus actual government work on eradicating the MSRA superbug. I'm also not having a go at any people working for the NHS, let's be clear about that.

But the bottom line is that millions of individual motorists are persecuted for causing 0.25% of the preventable deaths that an institution, under direct government control, is responsible for. And then I'm not even including any other thing that the NHS might be doing wrong systemically or through the fault of its employees.

It just seems to me that the emphasis is wee bit misguided.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 07:25

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I think the safety nazis are waaayyyy out of control in this time and place. You can't do this, you must do that, what a load of BS. Especially when you compare the amount of emphasis given to bashing drivers and making our lives unbearable.

I don't really like it when people use their mobiles, it definitely distracts people a lot more than most other things, and I don't really know why. You can almost always tell from someone's driving when they're on a mobile, they slow down for no apparent reason and tend to drive without any clue what so ever.

However, picking on someone for taking a swig out of a bottle or having a fag is ludicrous.

I couldnt agree more

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Here is an interesting statistic: did you know that hospital acquired infections from the government-managed NHS directly kill nearly twice as many people as all the traffic accidents in the UK? And that they contribute to the deaths of 5-6 times as many people again?

If you look at actual accident statistics and not the Big Lie of 33%, then speed directly kills only about 7% of all the traffic accident victims and contributes to about another 5% (my numbers are hazy but I think I'm in the right ballpark)

All this means is that for every person killed on the roads, where excessive speed was in any way a contributory factor, the NHS directly kills more that 100 people through not taking care of the hospital superbug and contributes to the death of 300 more people. So, in other words, for every death that excessive speed contributes to, the NHS contributes to the death of 400 others.

Now: I don't advocate people dying in traffic accidents, and I agree that accidents should be reduced, but I wonder about all the publicity given to punishing us for speeding because it kills versus actual government work on eradicating the MSRA superbug. I'm also not having a go at any people working for the NHS, let's be clear about that.

But the bottom line is that millions of individual motorists are persecuted for causing 0.25% of the preventable deaths that an institution, under direct government control, is responsible for. And then I'm not even including any other thing that the NHS might be doing wrong systemically or through the fault of its employees.

It just seems to me that the emphasis is wee bit misguided.

I see your point about the NHS and the MRSA superbug, but stopping people from contracting MRSA is a lot more difficult than you would think. I would say the spread of MRSA has more to do with overusing antibiotics for a long time and the fact that in some cases the bugs appear to be wining the war. 

I do agree that the emphasis on targetting motorists is very misgiuded though and the time and effort could be spent elsewhere.

You talk about the actual RTA stats, do you know where I can find them?  

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 07:49
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Just something to make you smile Toby.

I have a Tom Tom Go sat nav system, a snooper radar detector, and a road angel gps camera detector, it was pointed out to me recently, by one of my collegues who doesnt like these devices, that all three units are mounted so as to be within the sweep of my windscreen wipers, making all of them illegal, well the mounting of them anyway !

Your dashdoard must be on a parr with that of the Nebuchadnezzar(Matrix ship) Nigel.

So many buttons to press, so little time eh?  ...

<Snooper S5i - "beep beep beep beep">  - "Damn, false alarm, it's only a pelican crossing!"

Put mine on Ebay last month, was doing me blinking nut in.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 08:27
nigel you can download and install onto your tomtom go all the static and mobile cameras info .

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php

that should clean up your dash .
just a little crazy.

My drive
EvoDude View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Zymol + Optimax Rock!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 08:32

Originally posted by skull skull wrote:

plod are too busy checking numberplate sizes and bike exhausts to worry about anything that may kill a motorcyclist

That would be the traffic department.

Im afraid they lose their power of arrest once they get into their big comfortable motorway car. Its a known phenomenon.
Motorbike exhausts are a lot more interesting than chasing a burglar

E36 ///M3 Evo - Dyno'd at 323.3 Bhp
Modded. Mint.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 09:03
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Youtalk about the actual RTA stats, do you know where I can find them?

Lots of stuff here
Debunking the one-third lie
Statistical analysis of fatalities
An official DfT report on the causes of accidents (PDF)

Hope that covers it?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 09:08
Hilarious quote from DfT website

Quote The tables published reveal that for 743 locations, casualties increased rather than decreased.

However, this does not mean that cameras have not been effective at all these locations:

They then go on to offer all sorts of statistical method-related comment, while denying drivers' organisations the right to make any comment on their own statistical methods...

Vote the pond scum out -- you know it makes sense!
Ciao,
Spokey

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2005 at 10:03
trouble is people believe what they hear because they dont think the men at the top lie .
what a joke.
just a little crazy.

My drive
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic