Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E34 Steering box adjustment
    Posted: 25-February-2005 at 18:18
Hi! My car's now beginning to self - steer a little. It's
obviously play in the steering box as I can wobble
the wheels side to side when the front is jacked up.
Can anyone give me a "walkthrough" of the
adjustment procedure? How do I know if the box is
knackered?

Cheers,

Shaun
Self confessed madman
1990 Brilliantrot 2 ltr M20.

Air force definition of explosives: A loud noise followed by the sudden going away of what was once there a second ago.

Sponsored Links

Jake View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 06:16

Hi Shaun,

The adjuster is on top of the steering box as you may know. It's just a small flat head screw with a jamnut to keep the adjustment. I adjust until the steering gets tight and then back it off just a tad. After each adjustment and before you check steering, tighten the jamnut again. I've found that simply tightening the jamnut affects the steering preload. If you loosen it up, play with the adjuster until its right, it will be wrong when you tighten the jamnut again. Know what I mean?

Another big contributer to this steering play syndrome is the adjustable collet on the steering column. This is the component that gives you adjustable reach; its a splined connection at the bottom of the column and it develops play over time like anything else. Truth is, I get better results from this than I normally do by just adjusting the steering box.

To tighten that up all you need to do is drop the lower access panel (above the foot pedals) and tighten the collet tension adjuster. With that panel off and your eyes on it, it'll be obvious what needs to be done. I use a large adjustable crescent wrench propped up in the foot well and then turn the steering wheel in the tightening direction. This is much easier than trying to hold the steering wheel while swinging a wrench in the foot well.

Beware however, that you can get it too tight. It's too tight when you cannot collapse and extend the steering column for the adjustable reach function anymore. On my personal car, since I won't be adjusting the reach anyway, I tighten it up all the way. When it comes time to sell I'll loosen it up a bit to bring that feature back for the new owner. But for as long as I have it, I'll take it with the solid feel of a fully tightened collumn.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Jake

whitey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 08:04

Always adjust the box with the steering on full lock otherwise you'll dial right into the wear spot. Basically it's trail and error. Put the wheels on full lock and then adjust the screw (some of the later ones require an allen key) inwards. Just a little at a time.

Worth remembering also that there are a hell of a lot of ball joints in the system and no amount of adjusting the box will dial out a worn ball joint. Try to get the car on ramps (not stands) and get someone to wobble the steering very lightly while you hold each individual joint. You'll probably find some wear in a couple.

Regards

Trevor

2000 e39 523i with full factory sport kit.
1989 e30 325i Convertible
1999 Golf GTI 1.8T
e34-520iSE View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2005 at 13:15
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info you have
given me. I will have a go at adjusting the 'box
tomorrow as long as it doesn't rain again!!

Cheers,

Shaun
Self confessed madman
1990 Brilliantrot 2 ltr M20.

Air force definition of explosives: A loud noise followed by the sudden going away of what was once there a second ago.

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2005 at 07:18
More info on adjusting the steering box Here

Miles

1991 525i Sport Manual

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic