Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW X Power (4x4 BMWs)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBluetooth in the X5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bluetooth in the X5
    Posted: 20-March-2005 at 05:25

Hi Guys,

Probably won't get a reply to this due the low amount of X5/3 owners using this forum! lol

A friend of mine (seriously, i wouldn't be embarrassed   has just a brought a 2001 X5 4.4.  It has the full spec (auto, Climate, TV, phone package) but doesn't seem to have the bluetooth fitted.

What my friend wants to know is:

1) is the bluetooth system already installed on this age of X5 and does it need to be activated with some other addons (i believe bluetooth needs some sort of aerial)?

2)  Does he need to fit a whole new aftermarker bluetooth system and is this expensive (yeah right) and any recommended companies in East Anglia?

By the way, he let me have a drive and this is the first X5 i have driven and its very good actually.  Plenty of poke and very little roll and very comfortable.  Not as nice to drive as my M3!

Thanks    

Rob.

E36 M3 Convertible,
Cosmos Black, Walnut Trim, Black Leather, B&M Short Shift, K&Ni Kit, **** off a shovel!
Sponsored Links

Gryphon View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2005 at 06:13

Which phone is he going to use?

Unless he has one of the ones listed on the official BMW website, you will find compatibility problems with the BMW system.  Most of them are only supported from 2004 onwards, and the supported models are nearly all out of production now.

The official site is www.bmw.co.uk/bluetooth

I believe the Bluetooth module is with the rack of equipment in the left rear storage area underneath the CD changer etc.

There were so many difficulties in getting answers out of BMW both in the UK and Germany that I gave up and changed the spec in my 2005 X5 3.0d to the professional car phone system.  Bluetooth is another one of these standards that different manufacturers can choose which bits to use or not use and the result is a nightmare.

It will almost certainly be hugely cheaper to have an aftermarket kit fitted.  You can get kits from about £70, but I can't help with an installer in the local area.

gonch76 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2005 at 07:13

I think he has one of those flash motorola razor thingies. not sure of model number.

Thanks for the location, we'll have a look. 

I have told him he is opening a can of worms.  Better to leave as is and speak to an aftermarker company.

I'll post how we get on.

Cheers.

E36 M3 Convertible,
Cosmos Black, Walnut Trim, Black Leather, B&M Short Shift, K&Ni Kit, **** off a shovel!
ralphy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-March-2005 at 16:36
Hi I have just ordered an x 3 with bluetooth prep and am told that functionality depends on the type of phone you use with the car. ie some nokia models that are blue tooth enabled do not show the address book on the radio or sat nav screen.
StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 05:03

Hi Ralphy

I get my aftermarket Nokia Bluetooth fitted Thursday, which is fully integrated with my Nokia6820 and it costs less than half the BMW b.t prep.

Hope you enjoy the car.  When's it due?

Stu

Boost baby, BOOST!
brynt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by ralphy ralphy wrote:

Hi I have just ordered an x 3 with bluetooth prep and am told that functionality depends on the type of phone you use with the car. ie some nokia models that are blue tooth enabled do not show the address book on the radio or sat nav screen.

I have the blue tooth prep in my X3 and have experienced the problem you describe and after i read the manual (how novel ) i found that you just had to set it up properly. The phone prep in the car will take upto 4 different phones as long as they are set up properly
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-April-2005 at 15:38
I've come across such problems with various pieces of kit, known in the trade as RTFI !!!
Best Wishes

Nigel

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic