Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYou should always wear your seat belt!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Topic: You should always wear your seat belt!
    Posted: 29-March-2005 at 03:47

apparently this is real* and the driver not only wasn't wearing a seat belt but also fell asleep at the wheel!
video clip...

* doesn't explain why a camera was in the car!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 04:38
if it was real  i feel sorry for that motor he was in ..i mean thats a large american bashing up the nice velour interior......still doesnt explain why there was a cam in the car ..
its a dogs world out there
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 05:14

Hmmm, I don't believe it for a moment.

The car took all that damage...yet the camera didn't budge?

C'mon guys, gullible or what!

On a more serious note though....I worse my seatbelt for about 60 miles on Friday for the first time in years.  I haven't worn one in a very very long time.

It's very wrong of me, I know, but I just hate their bloody discomfort.

Before a mass of people start to berate me for it, I know I should, I know I should, and anything you say is legally correct!

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 06:08

that's exactly what happened to me in the X (apart from sleepies).

this is interesting (and wrong, i know) but of all the accidents I have ever been in I have only ever got hurt when wearing a seatbelt.

when not fine.

I am not condoning anyone else not wear theirs, just my experience.

Coasting, go for harnesses, they are well comfy! probably look a bit of a d1ck tho'.....

Edited by sleeper
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 12:30

So Sleeper---Were YOU sleeper/ asleep--??????????? You Wrote off a Car--But -- your still here ???? BUT-- Belts gave you injuries and NO belts mean No probs.-- Are we impressed?? No ---anyone who thinks they are Tougher than steel are SAD--and are  No brainer,s which IS how you end up , Afterwards--the Only SAD thing is that someone ELSE has to change yer urine bag, and YER NAPPY, when Yer a Veggi----SEZ it All.Always Best to Switch Brain ON--before opening MOUTH.

PS-No Belters--NO Brainers--Its Uncomfortable//So IS DEATH !!

SAFETYFAST
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 12:36
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Coasting, go for harnesses, they are well comfy! probably look a bit of a d1ck tho'.....

and get those seat belt pad things
oh and some neon lights
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 12:40

Whoa there young man!

As I said I don't advise anyone to NOT wear one, this is merely my experience. I can't help it if thats the way it has been.

I WAS NOT SLEEPING by the way!

anyway, last time I tried death it wasn't uncomfortable, didn't really realise it had happened!!

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 12:41
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

and get those seat belt pad things
oh and some neon lights

is this from experience???

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 18:27

b7      i understand the point you are making ..and i would agree to a certain point .sleeper was only making a comment that i have to agree with from my own experiance...belts are very good in many many ways..but in certain circumstances   they fail .in what they was designed for..ive been foolish enought to have my head hit the windscreens of cars while not having a belt on .and ive paid the price for it...however i dont wear seatbelts  .i dont think its big or clever not to wear them [i do understand they are good and safe] but from  my own experiance ..the safty aspect of them can be a little over rated in terms of stats etc

sorry but only my opinion ..and my opinion only ..having come across cars hitting me at 70 mph plus on various bikes over the years{with out seat/bike belts]  id rather be slung free ..at my own discretion rather than someone else .telling me were and when belts are safe

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2005 at 19:21
With the way modern cars are designed (please ignore the chevette for now) with their super strong safety cell that won't crumple on impact, I'd much rather have my belt on and be retained within this strong structure than have no belt and be propelled through the windscreen at 50 mph. Also the active safety system in a car relies on the occupants all wearing seatbelts, if an airbag explodes with you spread across it from not wearing your belt apparently it has the power to break all your ribs.

My father doesn't wear his belt and I am continuously giving out to him, he too cites the personal comfort aspect of their use but to be honest I feel strange when I don't have mine on, it becomes habitual and I can honestly say I have never had a comfort problem with them. I'd rather be restrained in my seat during any sort of impact than thrown wildly around the cabin, free to hit other occupants and cause both myself and them more damage. It's personal preference of course guys (apart from the fact it is illegal not to wear one) but for what its worth, and the discomfort it may cause (irrelevant argument if you ask me when you consider the possible consequences) you are always best to have the belt on. Remember - 'Klunk, Klick!'
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 02:48
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

With the way modern cars are designed (please ignore the chevette for now)

"Modern"? "Chevette"?
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 06:18
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

PS-No Belters--NO Brainers--Its Uncomfortable//So IS DEATH !!

Well said. Not wearing a seat belt is just stupid. I know a lad who didn't and ended up braking a windscreen with his head. No pleasant.

They are only uncomfortable for a while then you get used to them. I don't feel right in a car unless my seatbelt is on. Oh and the notion that they cause more injuries than they prevent is rubbish.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 06:22

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

With the way modern cars are designed (please ignore the chevette for now) with their super strong safety cell that won't crumple on impact, I'd much rather have my belt on and be retained within this strong structure than have no belt and be propelled through the windscreen at 50 mph. Also the active safety system in a car relies on the occupants all wearing seatbelts, if an airbag explodes with you spread across it from not wearing your belt apparently it has the power to break all your ribs.

My father doesn't wear his belt and I am continuously giving out to him, he too cites the personal comfort aspect of their use but to be honest I feel strange when I don't have mine on, it becomes habitual and I can honestly say I have never had a comfort problem with them. I'd rather be restrained in my seat during any sort of impact than thrown wildly around the cabin, free to hit other occupants and cause both myself and them more damage. It's personal preference of course guys (apart from the fact it is illegal not to wear one) but for what its worth, and the discomfort it may cause (irrelevant argument if you ask me when you consider the possible consequences) you are always best to have the belt on. Remember - 'Klunk, Klick!'

Spot on, at least some people on this forum have a bit of comon sense! biggrin1

I don't let people in my car unless they use the seat belts, that includes in the back.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:04

Along the lines of Peter last post....

Does anyone here remember the add on tv not so long ago about the lad who got into the back seat of a car and didn't wear a seatbelt?

The line from the add went something like "after killing his mother, 'name' sat back down"

The car (a red Astra) came to a sudden stop after colliding head on with another car, the rear passenger got flung forward into the rear of the drivers seat with such a force that the whiplash broke the drivers neck.

I make all rear passengers in my car wear a seatbelt so they don't kill the front seat occupants!

Not wearing seatbelts = no brainer = danger to themselves and anyone else in the same vehicle. You saw in Killians video how that driver was flung about inside the cabin.  He would have killed any other occupants.

My other half is a hospital doctor.  She did a 6 month stint in A&E in Crosshouse near Kilmarnock near the A77/M77 (road of death!)  They would get numerous folk in from RTA's and would get people arriving at A&E dead due to lack of seatbelts and passengers from the same car who did wear seatbelts would come in with huge bruises and cuts but they could still, walk, talk and more importantly still breath than their 'hard man, I don't need to wear a seatbelt' friend who was found lying under the car etc after being flung out.

Christmas Day 2003 Crosshouse A&E ward, two kids seriously hurt after leaving the car, via a window after not wearing a seatbelt as their parents let them off from wearing them as it was Christmas.  Stupid, absolutley stupid.

Anyopne who doesn't wear a seatbelt should go and do a stint in a hospital A&E ward.

Peter, being a head banger (as per recent posts, not an insult to you sir!) you'll know what happened to Metallica's original Bass player.  Found squashed under their tour bus after being flung out a window in the bus as it rolled over. Again no seat belts.......

Rant over

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:04

Suncoast a link to all you seat belt lovers ....out there

thinking about it ....taxi drivers never wear seat belts [95%dont]  and they do a lot of miles per week ..so i would have thought .they were high risk cases ...and the law states they dont have to wear belts while carrying pasengers....could be there lots of taxi drivers out there who have scars on there foreheads..

Edited by pma1ums
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:18

No such thing as personal choice here then! I am such a naughty boy, but then so is coasting and pma1ums.

Fair enough if you have other people in the car but FYI its only ever me in my car anyway. If there are kids in the car (not for me) then yes they wear belts and you set an example. If you have rear passengers who could kill the front passesngers then they to must wear them regardless.

Me, I reserve my right to make my own decisions and if I choose to break the law and endanger my own life when on my own, that is my choice.

All your opinions are perfectly valid to me and I see your points. Just can't get the stubborn rulebreaker side of me to lie down!

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 07:38

No such thing as personal choice here then! I am such a naughty boy, but then so is coasting and pma1ums.

Fair enough if you have other people in the car but FYI its only ever me in my car anyway. If there are kids in the car (not for me) then yes they wear belts and you set an example. If you have rear passengers who could kill the front passesngers then they to must wear them regardless.

Me, I reserve my right to make my own decisions and if I choose to break the law and endanger my own life when on my own, that is my choice.

All your opinions are perfectly valid to me and I see your points. Just can't get the stubborn rulebreaker side of me to lie down!

Some good points there - fair enough, I have to respect that.

Klunk Klick everytime for me though. 

I bet you wouldn't do it if you drove a new Ford Mondeo.  They make this really annoying noise if they detect a person on the seat, with no seatbelt into the clip thingie and the car is in motion. 

Most annoying if you are carrying a heavy object on the passenger seat or your dad does it just to annoy you while driving in the B&Q carpark.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 16:47

[RANT=on]

Just to bore everyone to death, I watched a documentary on TV about lap belts breaking peoples backs when they were bent double in an impact.

From the next day onwards, I have always converted lap belts to a full harness with a kit that costs about £35.

Two years ago ( when we get to may the third ), I was involved in a head on bump whilst driving my old 5 series ( the first one ).

My little lad celebrated his ninth birthday last month, a few of you have met him, without that conversion I doubt he would have survived, let alone not wearing a belt at all.

Discomfort wearing a seatbelt ? what absolute tosh !

Attend a few accidents...see the carnage, and I mean carnage, go and knock on their parents/relatives doors and watch their faces when they see you.

Sorry chaps, I absolutely hate to see people not making use of genuine safety devices, if it causes you discomfort you will be able to obtain a medical exemption certificate as there must be something wrong with your body.

I'd quite happily see this offence raised to 11 points, you'd wear it then.

[RANT=off]

Best Wishes

Nigel

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2005 at 17:38
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

[RANT=on]

Just to bore everyone to death, I watched a documentary on TV about lap belts breaking peoples backs when they were bent double in an impact.

From the next day onwards, I have always converted lap belts to a full harness with a kit that costs about £35.

Two years ago ( when we get to may the third ), I was involved in a head on bump whilst driving my old 5 series ( the first one ).

My little lad celebrated his ninth birthday last month, a few of you have met him, without that conversion I doubt he would have survived, let alone not wearing a belt at all.

Discomfort wearing a seatbelt ? what absolute tosh !

Attend a few accidents...see the carnage, and I mean carnage, go and knock on their parents/relatives doors and watch their faces when they see you.

Sorry chaps, I absolutely hate to see people not making use of genuine safety devices, if it causes you discomfort you will be able to obtain a medical exemption certificate as there must be something wrong with your body.

I'd quite happily see this offence raised to 11 points, you'd wear it then.

[RANT=off]

a very fair point and i agree with it ..but seeing an 11 point for not wearing one is just a tad over the top .

its never nice to tell someones mother that there son has died through an RTA  but i have done it ...far more than the once ...and i wish id never have to again ..and belts DO work ..but i have to agree with choice that we have in the UK.. and thats wether we take our choice to have them or not........rember it wasnt that many moons ago .that drink driving/no complsory belt wearing/etc were allowed ..and did it help goverments stats then    ....??? 

apart fom my above post i whole hearted agree with the right saftey measures..but have to disagree.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic