Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow WILL you vote ? ? ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Poll Question: How will you vote in the upcoming elections?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
28 [49.12%]
17 [29.82%]
1 [1.75%]
2 [3.51%]
9 [15.79%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:40
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

decline of manufacturing in this country.

< id=kpfLog style="DISPLAY: none" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload=destroy(this)>

Its still going down, figures are massaged,  more & more manufacturing going to eastern Europe & far east, costs more to transport than salary costs, only downside to far east is possibly 6 weeks of rework on ship when arrrives, eastern europe re-stock in @24 hrs

< =text/>
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Sponsored Links

spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:51

Firsr of all where do I see the numbers? secondly how do you know that none of these people do a worthwhile job? Beacuse Micheal Howard told you? And thirdly do you really think the economy would be any better off with these people on the ranks of the unemployed?

You talk about people loosing there houses on a scale not seen before. You mean higher than when the tories were in and interest rates went sky high?

The reason I refered to you as an 'alright jack' is because you are talking about getting rid of these useless jobs with seamingly little regard for the fact that the are currently filled by people with families etc. It's very easy to talk about job loses when it's not your job!

The whole issue of jobs is part of a much bigger global issue to do with costs, shareholders and increasingly competetive world markets forcing companies to move manufacturing out of countries like ours. Unless the Government does something to stop this pretty soon there will be no manufacturing laft and we will be a nation of service industries. Even the call centres are moving out now.

I agree that creating jobs for the sake of it (not that I am saying that's what has happened in this case) seams daft, but how else do you stop unemployment going balistic as companies just up and leave.

What the tax payer in effect is doing is propping up an economy that is starting to falter as a result of capitalism. We all know the reasons comunism failed but  how many of us considered the effects of capitalism long term.

Without capitalism, there would be no BMW, and no-one would aspire to own one.

It is true that capitalism, as opposed to a free-market economy, has some undesirable side-effects. However, these seem to come mainly from when big businesses have an undue effect on the role of government, and on that basis, New Labour are far more snugly ensconced in a mutual and loving relationship with big business than the Tories ever were. So if you want to spank those evil, corrupt, government-influencing capitalists, you'd be better off voting Tory.

As a consequence of my "alright jack" job, I consult to a large number of government departments and the corporates they outsource to. This is where, up close and personal, I see niche-fillers, butt-coverers, and other assorted oxygen thieves every time I go to work. I would personally love to see everyone employed in a worthwhile and important job, but as a taxpayer, I'd far rather see people costing me as little money as possible. The best way of doing that is NOT to have them fill some meaningless make-work job that just balloons our tax bill and gives the country nothing but a useful statistic back. I think the economy would be better off with these people not employed in such a fashion, but rather in genuine jobs performing genuinely useful things.

Unfortunately, in that especially British way of capitalism, Messrs Bliar and "Face Like a Smacked Bottom" Brown have toadied themselves up to the large corporates, going out of their way to accommodate things that benefit large, cost-cutting, outsourcing (!) companies while squeezing job-creating, small businesses out of existence.

Everybody rambles on about how the Tories gave us Private Finance Initiatives, but the truth of the matter is that they spent millions of pounds getting consultants to advise them on how to do it, while not actually doing much of it. New Labour has grasped this ugly, big-bad-capitalist idea with both hands and taken it a hundred times further than the Tories dared, giving worthless companies huge sums of our tax money for very little benefit (cf hospitals and schools being PFI'd.) This gives both the government and the PFI companies to move billions of pounds off the balance sheet, but that expense is all still sitting there. I wonder if it was all factored in to the country's finances if we'd still be as happy?

I feel sorry for anyone left in manufacturing (MG Rover?) or agriculture because the government feels it is old-fashioned and unimportant to make things or grow things or build things when you can have glittering service industries that can easily be outsourced to cheaper countries ... er ...

So one glorious day, we will all work for the government, tovarisch, fulfilling the needs of the nation on the latest glorious ten year plan!

It's actually reasonably easy to encourage people to have businesses that employ people instead of getting them employed by the government -- give small businesses and start-ups tax breaks. But the issue for a bloated state is that if you're employed by the government, you'll vote for the party of big government to keep your cushy job.
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:57

But when Maggie was in power crude oil wasn't 50-$60 a barrel. Petrol prices are high and will remain high because the increasing world demand for oil.

Errrr.... When Maggie was in power, 90% of the price of petrol wasn't tax? I think that even if crude is $60/bbl, it equates to about 10p / litre. Certainly not anywhere near a pound.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 03:17
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

But when Maggie was in power crude oil wasn't 50-$60 a barrel. Petrol prices are high and will remain high because the increasing world demand for oil.

Errrr.... When Maggie was in power, 90% of the price of petrol wasn't tax? I think that even if crude is $60/bbl, it equates to about 10p / litre. Certainly not anywhere near a pound.

Ok then, during the 80's what percentage of the price of petrol was tax?

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 03:44

Without capitalism, there would be no BMW, and no-one would aspire to own one.

It is true that capitalism, as opposed to a free-market economy, has some undesirable side-effects. However, these seem to come mainly from when big businesses have an undue effect on the role of government, and on that basis, New Labour are far more snugly ensconced in a mutual and loving relationship with big business than the Tories ever were. So if you want to spank those evil, corrupt, government-influencing capitalists, you'd be better off voting Tory.

You're right without capitalism there would be no BMW. Dont' get me wrong, I'm more of a capitalist than a communist. The problem is that no one has considered the downsides of capitalism and how to deal with them.

I think the problems with capitalism are much more fundamental than just the influence of big buisness on government.

Businesses are always looking at their overheads and how to reduce them. They do this for several reasons.

1. To make more money for themselves

2. To make more money for their shareholders

3. To reduce the cost of the product and maintain competetiveness

This normally comes down to a fixed cost cutting exercise and one of the biggest fixed costs is people. For example in the business I work for, 60% of fixed costs are salaries. However if you move the business to India you can cut the salary bill by a factor of 10.

From an business point of view it is a no brainer. So until the economys, and salaries, of countries like india rise to the level of ours industry is going to continue to move out. In the begining it was manufacturing but as levels of education in these countries improves more jobs will go.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that in a few decades time there will be no jobs left in this country other than in shops and service industries.

All the factors that are causing this, i.e greed, competition, stock market pressure, are as a direct result of a capitalist economy.

but rather in genuine jobs performing genuinely useful things.

As I've said before I don't think in a few years time there will be any more useful jobs left in this country. They will all have gone to countries with cheaper labour either so companies can make more cash or simply stay in business in an increasingly competetive world market.

We argue about who to vote for but IMO the reality is it doesn't really matter since none of them know how to stop the migration of jobs which will eventually lead to a migration of wealth. 

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:04
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

People choose to remember or forget ,what fits in with their thinking.

New RED Labia came in on a NEW Party Image for the Young dynamic generation of the late nineties, the GO-getters-   BUT underneath they are as corrupt in thinking and actions as was their Communist  mentors--the Red flag flying over most of Europe and it took 70 years to get rid of them--BUT--Bliar and the slime let the old doctrine show more and more.

Your freedoms-Your choices are disappearing not only in our Motoring world each day, but in our Whole British way of life.Compare our restrictions with similar countries--WE are the 4th Richest as you know--What interference , what Big Bros Camera,s do YOU see in other countries--WE ARE the world champs in being watched 24/7--WHY ?????? when we are supposed to live in a democratic country--but have the dictator mentality 24 hours a day.

--Your memories are so short--So you have forgotten 61 TAX Increases since Reds got in,??- Every subject you look at that was going to be the best, BUT You must pay more for it-is a disaster, out of control--make it up as they go along, Stats that proove its the greatest --and NObrainers who believe their own brainwash.

Lies, Lies and more Lies from Iraq to MI5, From stealing Pension Funds, to Rigging Elections in Birmingham--BUT--seeing all the Corruption as Perfectly normal, as the Attorney General lies and lies, -So it Must Ok--init???.

People forget after a days paper or TV, so they know if you get an extra 50p, they can waste  the £1 billion on computer systems that dont work , But dont say anything--its only the press that dig out the brown stuff.

Yes--ALL politians Lie-But the Blues seem to lie a bit less than the others, and have given more encouragement to stand on your own feet, reward doers not freeloaders.

PS.Agree with spokey--Where is the money coming from to carry on financing the UK Ltd, when the Sh -t hits the Fan--YOU!!.

I have to say I find you views a little bit strange. Do you really believe that Tony Blair and the labour party are dragging us towards a communist state?

If I was being cynical I'd say these kind of coments were about trying to spread fear in order to get people to vote a certain way.

When you talk about a dictator, do you watch the news? How can you compare the government we have with someone like Robert Mugabe. I agree there are a lot of things wrong with what is going on in this country but to describe it as a dictatorship seams a bit over the top.

I've said this before, but a lot of the things that are happening, speed cameras included are down to public opinion. There are a lot of people in this country that want speed cameras, want a ban on smoking in public places etc etc. This is not the government trying to take our liberty away, this is every day people trying to have the country run the way they want, the kind of people who use the phrase 'it shouldn't be allowed'. The problem is that on many issues, like speed cameras, you have to realise that you and me are the minority.

The S**T is going to hit the fan in this country anyway regardless of who is voted in next election. Once there is no manufacturing left and countries like india have developed the expertise to develope and design as well, our wealth will disappear and we will be screwed. 

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:11
It's ironic, really. We are not competitive, because we are very well paid (as a country). Because we're well paid, everything is expensive, so we have to earn more. Because we're expensive, those same businesses that pay our salaries are pressured into looking elsewhere to cut costs, losing us our jobs, which would probably force prices down, which would make us competitive again.

However, this is a different issue from who to vote for, so I'd just like to say:

1. If you're worried about where your tax money is going and where Gordon might spend it next (and I definitely am);
2. If you're tired of being treated like an idiot by a government that recycles every spending announcement, sometimes for years;
3. If you're tired of a shameless government that allows shamed cabinet ministers repeated entry to the feeding trough of our tax money;
4. If you feel like you were lied to about the very serious issue of invading another country;
5. If you're tired of government by expediency;
6. If you're tired of watching billions of tax pound feed a thieving European bureacracy ...

then get out there and vote. The biggest mistake you can make is to assume that your vote doesn't count. I'm not going to say who you should vote for, but go and vote! Hold these shameless thieves, liars and vagabonds to account -- it's not just your right, it's your duty!
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:35

You are right there Spokey. Everyone should vote. If you don't vote you have no right to complain.

I bet if they said that anyone who didn't vote in the election wouldn't ever be allowed to vote again, they would get 100% turn out Big Smile

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:37

I have to say I find you views a little bit strange. Do you really believe that Tony Blair and the labour party are dragging us towards a communist state?

I believe that they would like nothing better than to run a communist state. Communism (or fascism) is the natural inclination of the politician. Imagine, a state where they can tell you exactly how to live your life, what clothes you can buy and where you can buy them, where every aspect of power and privilege is gained by government favour, where every aspect of your life is driven by government diktat. Where you cannot be voted out of power.

New Labour is the party of expediency, they say anything to win hearts, but do remember that most of these charlatans were the firebrand communists of their day. Although they like to present themselves as completely changed, how many people do you know have gone through an en-masse change of heart like that? Part of the reason I detest them so much is their blatant hypocrisy. They would really all like to be running a one-party state with total media control, but instead they have to chip away at us one step at a time.

And I don't believe for a moment that if we let New Labour get away with it, that the Tories (or anyone else) wouldn't try it on too. All politicians love power, the more power we give them, the more they want.

Every one of the little liberties we give away is a step closer to a totalitarian state. To pick one example: nobody wanted speed cameras before they were brainwashed into believing they're a good thing. Who did the brainwashing? Are speed cameras actually a useful instrument in preventing death on the road? Not as useful as they are at keeping an eye on people and making us all feel guilty. Imagine, when we've all had our speeding fine (or two), how are we going to object to a government that wants to introduce slightly more draconian laws to keep people in line? And from there, it's all downhill.

Paranoid? Perhaps, but I've seen it happen elsewhere and I have no reason to believe that Bliar is any better than the next man.
Ciao,
Spokey

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 05:49

IF by pointing out to people who have become used to a Government ruling by lies and deception,that they must NOT accept everything they are told--

IF by pointing out to people that they are losing their Freedom of choice and Democracy which is being eroded by stealth, and being told its for OUR good,--

IF by pointing out to people the danger of allowing a dictator mentality to continue, without question,--

IF by encouraging people to look beyond their noses, at other countries idea,s of doing things and to question why WE get Lies and cover ups,--

and if by being aware of these subjects people fear what could happen If they choose to do nothing, ----then the reason for posting comments on every forum, Tv Station and in Newspapers is Justified--

Ignorance is what Governments rely on, Bliars thrive on it.

So if our manufacturing world is going to come crashing down. would YOU not think that a caring intelligent govt, would be making companies life easier to do Biz, investing TAXpayers money in research and helping 24/7---instead of bringing in SO many regs and and demands--that companies no longer have an incentive to expand,

just the reverse--sound familiar--it should , its the state suffocating the life out of the industry--when market conditions require all the help it can get.

Edited by B 7 VP
SAFETYFAST
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:06
IMO, all politicians are liars, promise one thing, in the full knowledge that they cannot deliver. So who to trust............I have not got a clue.

Not to vote and then complain about the result is pretty poor, but when so many voters appear to be disillusioned with the politicians, who can blame them for not voting? Do you vote someone out or vote someone in? As if you vote because you don't like what the current government is doing, surely that isn't the correct way of using your vote?

Edited by M3AG

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:31

I'm not going to say any more on this subject (porobably) because I don't think anyone of us is going to change their views.

My last thoughts would be that I said a long time ago that the desire to become a politician should automatically exclude you from being able to become one. Anyone who has the desire to go into politics IMO only does it for power.

Despite this I still don't think that we are going to become a totalitarian state and I don't think we are heading down the road towards communism. That's like syaing that if the tories get in they will try and turn Britain into a fashist state.

You might as well tell me that aliens control our minds and one day are going to eat us. biggrin1

Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:39

You wouldnt be far off the mark with the mind control comment Peter .. I'd have money that its being / been worked on.

But judging by the sate of what came out of my bowels this morning, I doubt anyone would want to eat me!

Power - Power - Power thats all any government wants, total control and restriction of the population.

ID cards? - not on your nelly Charlie Clarke. Whether the Queen signs your pathetic control freak bill or not!

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 07:47

Those who hate Tony and all he stands for should find out which party stands the best chance of unseating the sitting Lab MP and vote tactically.

I wonder if the Libs will have a good result this time around?

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:02
Originally posted by M3AG M3AG wrote:

if you vote because you don't like what the current government is doing, surely that isn't the correct way of using your vote?

That is exactly the correct use of your vote.
Ciao,
Spokey

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:08

Hmm very intersting reading.  When I had a wee look see the torries were way out int the lead with approx 50% of the votes.  I didn't think they'd be that popular. 

Have the BMW owners from Bearsden, Newton Mearns and Milngavie been voting on here?

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:14
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Hmm very intersting reading.  When I had a wee look see the torries were way out int the lead with approx 50% of the votes.  I didn't think they'd be that popular. 

Have the BMW owners from Bearsden, Newton Mearns and Milngavie been voting on here?

Andrew

Nope, just the X owners coming out from the woodwork .

Only kidding.

"Only The Tyres Are Allowed To Smoke!" -- 2001 330ci Sport (man) - "Oh This Is a Saga Now!" -- E46 Section Remote CCTV Solutions
Praktisk View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:16

Originally posted by M3AG M3AG wrote:

if you vote because you don't like what the current government is doing, surely that isn't the correct way of using your vote?

That is exactly the correct use of your vote.

I agree with Spokey .. why not vote tactically?

Why would you want to use your vote to keep in a government whose policies you dont agree with?

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:38
My point was, if you don't like what the current lot are doing, but like the sound of one of the others policies, you'd vote one of the others in? Not just cast a vote for another party just because you don't like what the current one is doing? Surely that would be voting for the sake of it?
Therefore if you do that, what's the point of voting?

But in the end, there's so much bulls**t that gets spread around during a campaign, that regardless who you vote for, and who actually wins the situation stays the same!
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 08:41

AG - I guess the point of tactical voting is to unseat as many Lab MPs as possible to give tony a good kicking.

What are the national polls saying so far?

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic