Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:02
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

My views on MG Rover are well known....

I object to any more of my taxes assisting a dead company.

How can anyone "assist" a dead company!! Only a mortician can assist the dead, not Tony & his cronies.

What is Tony doing about jobs in customer call centres being exported to India? Is Tony giving 100m bribe to keep call centres in the UK 'till after the election?

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Sponsored Links

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:31

Ok then, subsidise instead of assist.

It's another bale-out.  The difference is it'll fail miserably - because that's the only thing they seem to be any good at doing these days!

The Call Centre "hype" is just that too.  There are also a heck of a lot more jobs at risk too - immeasurably.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:38

It is better for a local economy to subsidise someone to work, who then pays taxes, buys his shopping from local shops, heas self esteem etc etc, than paying the same money to someone on the dole.

Or am I missing something, and also like Peter, I suggest you dont believe everything you read, especially in the run up to an election.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:58
I reckon it will be a last minute recovery, making Tony out to be a hero - and thus giving him another few years to remove all our Britishness in favour of the euro and higher taxes (including a suspspected tax on food)
I may be wrong of course, its only my opinion.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:04
The Goverment should continue to bail out MG Rover
for the very reasons Nigel outlined. If they don't, it will
all go under. This will not only affect the 26'000
employess but countless suppliers who rely on MGR
and utterly decimate Birmigham and the wider West
Midlands.

What MGR should do is tell the Chinese to sod off,
get rid of John Towers (and his entire board of
directors) who are clearly having a laugh and milking
MGR for all they can get away with, and install
someone like Michael Edwardes who 25 years ago,
took BL by the scruff of the neck and kicked it into
shape.

MGR can design and build good cars - of that there
is no doubt. Today, they are so close to being a really
viable product (the MG ZT Estate is a superb car).

Back home, Mercedes Benz are in very serious
trouble. Smart is losing 5000 Euros on every car it
builds and for the first time EVER, MB will run the first
six months at a loss. At this rate, BMW will be buying
Mercedes in ten year's time. MB's reputation for
quality is now non existant and even the taxi driver's
union have voted with their wallets in the direction of
Japan and Opel.

GM and Ford are also in big, big trouble. GM is facing
bankruptcy after the big Fiat debacle and the cost of
its pension/healthcare scheme for retired
employees in the USA. Saab is moving production to
the Opel plant in Germany and is also losing
millions.

The most powerful car companies in the world? It
aint the Americans or Ze Germans. It's the French
who for the last 10 years have produced exactly the
cars people really want and in huge numbers.
Renault and the PSA (Peugeot Citroen) Group. Both
are in rude health having expanded wisely, unlike
Ford and GM who wasted billions on trying to revive
dying luxury brands like Jaguar, Saab and Volvo.

In 2015, the biggest car companies will be Renault,
PSA, BMW and VW-Audi. Some pundits think that GM
might actually implode and cease to exist by then.

Edited by Von Paulus
Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:20
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

Have Ford ruined Jaguar, or taught them how to build good cars, and make some money in the process?

Ford have ruined Jaguar. As already mentioned, they tried to turn a niche samll volume producer of high end luxury saloons and coupes into Britain's BMW. The S-Type, while well engineered and pretty to look at tries to milk the heritage a little too much. It smacks of tackiness. Superb car - if there had never been a mk2. The X-Type is an abomination, essentially a reskinned Mundaneo with some olde english wood and leather chucked in for effect. The new XJ is a sublime piece of engineering, designed in Britain and shows the world the way forward in luxury saloons IMO. I remember John Egan coming in after the BL fiasco when Jag almost went under last time and turning the company around, this needs to happen again before Ford starts to pull Jag down with it - Brown's Lane is gone, akin to the Queen selling off Buckingham Palace to save a few quid. Farcical, but then the decision was made by some faceless American board who care little about British jobs.

Almost all the major manufacturers are feeling the pinch with predictions of big changes ahead for most of them. What worries me most is the seeming ability of some of you to throw away jobs in the Midlands because it takes a few quid out of your pocket. Golden Brown is taking taxes off us like never before. If all the car factories and related industries go up the swanny, what's left? Electronics - no wait, all those are going/have gone already. Call centres - nope, gone too. Clothing - long gone. Manufacturing in general is gone. Design still exists here, but more and more foreign workers are being drafted in because they are willing to work longer for less. And don't say it's beacuse we are lazy - the french refuse to work over 35 hours a week and their manufacturing sector is thriving. Where do Renault, Peugeot and Citroen build their cars? France. So why could/should MG Rover be allowed to do the same here? If it costs me an extra 20 or 30 quid a year then I'm happy for that to be used in that way.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:40

There is also the case of training people.

When I was a lad, you either went to Rover (referred to as "The Austin" even now locally), Lucas, Triplex, or Cadburys for a trade apprenticeship, or the very few joined HM Forces, to gain the same training.

The smaller firms cant afford to train people, but need these people when trained.

Factories like Rover provide much more of a service than just building cars.

With the benefit of hindsight, just look at what happened regarding the miners, even the ministers who were serving at the time now wish they had lost, once something is gone, its very difficult to get it back again.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 18:57
well, talking about business going kapput, Terry's in York has closed, Nestl (Rowntrees) is hovering with production of Kit Kat going to Germany I believe. Next thing is the sugar beet plant may be going as the EU has decided we are priducing too much sugar and we have to buy so much in from europe.. WHY? The campaign counts for a lot of jobs in York, and its rumoured that one or two may have to close..
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:01

Its frightening Rhys, I cant understand why so many people cant see further than the end of their nose.

We must keep people in work, without it, everything just falls apart, and ends up costing us much more than the subsidies needed to keep these plants going.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:04
I know, Brum has Cadbury's - but York has/had Rowntrees, Terry's and Cravens.. oh well, there's progress for you..
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:17

But just look at what the Cadbury family did/do.

They built Bournville, all the housing, sports grounds, social facilities, schools etc.

I went to their grammar school, had free use of all their sporting facilities, including a swimming pool, lido, and reservoir, football pitches, rugby pitches etc etc.

There were Christmas parties, with jolly good presents every year.

I would imagine its the same with big industry in most towns and cities.

I know the Austin did/do similar things for local people, so did/do triplex.

They are so much more than just large factories.

Best Wishes

Nigel

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 19:42

jeeesh you guys are on a good rover tangent.......lets face facts here .

rover make extremly good shopping trolleys..and as a car for shop runs and cheapish price range ..it carnt be faulted

the peaple that buy the trolleys are fans of rover and laura ashley.your classic rover type wouldnt dream of shopping at ikea.

there normal customer that buys a rover .are over 50 [just check out who was daft enought to buy a city rover the next time you actually see one on the road] .....  sorry i just forgot .i did see a young girl in her early 20s driving one ..either for two reasons only ...1 she listens to her ageing father too much and goes on his car buying advice..or she was dropping it off to him after having to borrow it for the hour because her car was in for repair

if you do see a mint metro still driving on the road etc .its been owned by mr grandad from new .and has done 14000 miles  in a zillion years [glasse trade guide now have there own 15 miles per yr  on old rovers pricing]

oh i could go on and on and on and on and on ..but iam sure ive made my point   and MY  point only...

lets face it rover is as english as an indian summer these days ...the management   have had there bit of glory of resurecting the company from the grave yard .[i give them ten out of ten for having king kongs bits to do it].they have all pensions/and other perks in place and its time for them to ship out .i do give them good credit were its due ..who else would have risked there own money ?????? ok ok i know it was a bit of a steel at the money it was sold for ..but they still put some of there own money were there  mouth was

as much as id like rover to be inotive as a manufacturer  ..it isnt really going to hapen is it ...and yes they have been bold in the odd project   ..but as a marketing gimic to woo peaple in to thinking they actually mite something good.....well it worked quiet well didnt it .

good bye rover .your arnt a mans best freind anymore .

R.I.P

you will be missed from some peaples hearts ..but not many

Edited by pma1ums
its a dogs world out there
spokey View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 20:07
OK, here's a thing: I will start up a business doing IT, would you guys all mind sponsoring me if I don't make enough money? Doesn't matter if the tin I sell is rubbish, and the software is flaky and keeps crashing and my help desk is rubbish and tells you to format your hard drive when you call in for how to format a document, because at the end of the day, I'll be a) employing people and b) training them in vital skills.

Bottom line is this: Rover makes cars that don't sell. There is no reason on earth that we should subsidise them to continue making cars that people don't want. If Rover were making great cars and they were selling like billy-o, but they needed some sort of bridging stuff, that's a different matter. But the fact is, Rover makes awful, uninteresting cars, and not very well.

What Rover needs to do is fix this, otherwise we would just be pouring money into a black hole for ever. It's not up to us or the government to bail them out -- they should make cars that sell.

I can't believe that there are people here who are saying we should keep Rover alive, just because they employ people. We would be giving Rover 100M so that their directors can get more wedge, the workers would probably get shafted anyway, and we'd all lose.
Ciao,
Spokey

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:26
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

[QUOTE=Peter Fenwick]

Yes I think the loan is a good idea, I just hope that the management learn from their mistakes 

AND if they DONT learn from THEIR Mistakes-What Then????????????? Yes!!!!! Perhaps the TAXPAYERS can give them 200 million next time.

Words like Naive---------Gullible--------spring to mind--BUT-this is a family forum--so, In respect to our Mods--I will desist from further ---- --        Cos nigel may    and you would miss me

It kind of anoys me when people dismess my views as Naive. It's a bit like saying 'you would agree if you understood but you're not really clever enough'.

I still think it is a good idea.

You are right though when you say that our problem is that we are unable to make buisnesses work. You only have to look at what happened to ICI to realise that there is a significant problem with some of the decsion makers in big business in this country. As an example ICI sold the Petrochemicals business to Huntsman for a fairly small sum several years ago. They also wanted to get rid of the aromatics business as well but since it never made a profit they paid Huntsman to take it off them. In fact Huntsman were given something like the equivalent of 5 years loses.

Within 2 years Huntsman had turned the Aromatics business around as was making a profit. Why did it take the Americans to come in and show us how to run a business?

IMO one of the big problems in this country was the importance placed on education, class and status, as opposed to actual business sense and abillity.  

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 04:30
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

It is better for a local economy to subsidise someone to work, who then pays taxes, buys his shopping from local shops, heas self esteem etc etc, than paying the same money to someone on the dole.

Nigel , I made a very similar point in the who will you vote for thread.

I agree totally.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 05:06
Right, so let me get this straight:

Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

You are right though when you say that our problem is that we are unable to make businesses work.

and

Within 2 years Huntsman had turned the Aromatics business around as was making a profit. Why did it take the Americans to come in and show us how to run a business?

I agree totally.

I'm guessing that Huntsman did not rely on state subsidies to turn the business around and did not give a monkey's about the local economy. The reason that British business is not competitive is not some class or education thing, it's the urge to provide welfare that gets in the way. You can't have both a lean, competitive economy and a welfare state.

I've got a bone to pick with Nigel's assertion as well: it's the implication that you have to be given a job or you'll sit on the dole. What happened to the option of starting your own business, or finding a menial job and building yourself up? You wouldn't bother, because you know that the state will provide.

The failure of British business and the impending economic entertainment is a systemic failure, largely caused by the current belief that "somebody" will provide. When the state or a business runs out of money and cuts benefits or means tests them, we all know we're paying for something we know we're probably not going to get when it's our turn to need it.
Ciao,
Spokey

Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 05:18

There was a vast country that used state money to prop up every business regardless of financial viability. It was called the USSR. what happened to that country?

Could the BL workers be retrained into other skills that are in real economic demand? sitting on the dole is not an option. skills retraining and education. Tony has 100m spare for this need.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 05:46
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Right, so let me get this straight:

You are right though when you say that our problem is that we are unable to make businesses work.

and

I agree totally.

I'm guessing that Huntsman did not rely on state subsidies to turn the business around and did not give a monkey's about the local economy.

You obviousley know very little about Huntsman. You should try looking on there website.

Huntsman takes a much bigger interest in the local economy than ICI ever did. They have a department that provides charitable donations and supports good causes. They encourage employees to take part in supporting the local comunity by going into schools and colleges. They regularly bring in school children to show them round and provide equipment for leaning. However the biggest they do is cancer research. Since the comnpany started they have put massive amounts of cash into finding a cure for cancer and they now have there own cancer instititue that provides treatment for people who otherwise would not get the care they need.

Aswell as this they also do a great many other charitable acts within both the local comunity and elsewhere.

But above all else they made us believe in ourselves again and made us believe that together thay could make it work. They have done more for the local economy than any government could ever be bothered to.

I genuinely believe that Huntsman are an example to other companies and that if everyone behaved in the way they did we wouldn't be in such a mess.

The only problem is that they have become a victim of their own success. They have become too big for a Privately owned company and have been pushed into floating a percentage of the company on the stock market. Eventually shareholders will put paid to charitable work as it will have an impact on the dividend they recieve.

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:06
Yeah, the corporate website, that well-known impartial source of good information. According to my company's website, I work in paradise. I find the reality slightly less appealing.
Ciao,
Spokey

Von Paulus View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User
Cruisin the Reeperbahn

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2005 at 06:16
So Rover make cars that people don't want eh?

One of the most fashionable cars to have in
Hamburg (Germany's wealthiest city) is a Rover 75
Estate. Classy, subtle, well finished and BRITISH!!
Just like Cricket and Barbour clothing, some more
things Hamburgers like. The Italians also like them.
Rovers are not Rubbish - why do Brits always do
themselves over? Sure, the Montego and 800's were
pretty awful but if you want an example of a really
crap car, look no further than the C Class Mercedes.
made in Poland or wherever out of bean cans and
recycled bin liners.

No, bring back the 1750 Austin Maxi, all is forgiven!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic