Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMG Rover going bust (again)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Topic: MG Rover going bust (again)
    Posted: 05-April-2005 at 07:55

Reports today of emergency Govt (ie Tax Payers) loan of £100m to bail out MG Rover again, or the Chinese will pull out of the takeover deal.

26,000 jobs will go if they let MG go to the wall, or should the State keep bailing it out every few years?

Does Britain need MG?

Is it a good deal for the tax payer?

Are BMW glad they got shot of Rover MG?

I thought the EU had to approve State aid to lame duck firms?

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 08:09

I think it will be a sad day if MG Rover go out of business, especially for the 26,000 employees.

I don't know why they didn't use the money they spent on the V8 conversion for the 75 and that stupid sports car to design a replacement for the old 25 and 45 models. I'm no expert but even I can see were the mistakes have been made.

Yes I think the loan is a good idea, I just hope that the management learn from their mistakes.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 08:25
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Yes I think the loan is a good idea, I just hope that the management learn from their mistakes.

Yeah, let's keep bailing them out -- it's just taxpayers' money, and who cares about them?
Ciao,
Spokey

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 09:18
The chinese are just taking the mickey. For this deal they essentially get the whole company in return for £200m, £100m of which is apprently going to be supplied by the government. The deal leaves the chinese with a very fine range of cars they will build in China, and ironically will license MG Rover to build in the UK. MG Rover will have sold the family silver in return for a relatively small chunk of cash, and now the cupboard is bare so what next? I would love to see MG Rover survive and expand, but I'm not certain this will happen.

As for the 75 V8, the money used to design this would not have designed a door handle for the RD-X60 replacement for the 25/45. The SV is a derivative of a car called the Qvale Mangusta. The comnpany went bust a few years back and MG Rover bought the design for peanuts, blew it over and stuck MG badges on it. Total development cost £3.50 and a cheese sandwich. The result is a sublime old school badgers bum sports car with a brutal V8. Shame its 85k brand new - I'd love one!
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 11:57

It's the same old story weve heard for decades with British motorbikes and cars, we can build good ones but it seems not make a financial success of it. My first motorbike was a BSA Bantam, a late D14/4 model. Cracking little bike but couldn't get a mid size brit replacement when I wanted something bigger so ended up with a Honda.

Should the Government have endlessly baled out BSA, Norton, Triumph, Vincent, Royal Enfield(some of whom's designs are being churned out in India still)

And then there's all the car makers that ended up BLMC, BL, Rootes group/Chrysler/Talbot. What is it with this country that we can build such marvelous machines but not for profit - Concorde for instance!

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 13:29
[QUOTE=Peter Fenwick]

Yes I think the loan is a good idea, I just hope that the management learn from their mistakes 

AND if they DONT learn from THEIR Mistakes-What Then????????????? Yes!!!!! Perhaps the TAXPAYERS can give them £200 million next time.

Words like Naive---------Gullible--------spring to mind--BUT-this is a family forum--so, In respect to our Mods--I will desist from further ---- --        Cos nigel may    and you would miss me

SAFETYFAST
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 13:40

rubberknee,s 50 < is that the cc of the Bantam-thought my one was 49cc ??.I also started on the Bantam--like yer first Gurl--Never forget.Went on to a Triumph 21-348cc Twin, then the Bonneville 120, OOOoohhhh yes--never forget her .

WE can design-Engineer-Build the greatest on the planet------------------------------------BUT we cannot Run the BIZ that makes the PROFIT, that pays for the Repeat cycle.

WE let others come in, Buy up  for a pittance--and then sell us BACK our Heritage.

SAFETYFAST
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 14:08
There was a lively thread on this subject a couple of months back when this deal was first discussed.  It would make interesting reading to review the comments in light of the latest development.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
stephenperry View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 14:11

why would the government get involved in saving a lame duck?

simple!! its election year - if they pull it off, it makes labour look like heroes, the longbridge workers vote labour as a mark of gratitude, the companies who supply rover with parts etc vote labour cos it keeps them in turkey at christmas, etc etc

no other firms get the same kind of kid gloves  - in normal business if you dont keep the standards, you go bust, simple, you certainly dont get the government stepping in after john towers et al feathered their own nests by syphoning off any profits there may have been to the shareholders instead of pledging faith in the company by actually taking a pay freeze and diverting the funds into some much needed new models, rebadging or fitting loopy engines into pensionable cars doesnt count, nor does not reading the market by producing the folly that is the SV-R, a white elephant that is obscenely overpriced compared to its rivals in the niche market for which it was developed for, as an aspirational "halo" model it doesnt cut the mustard either as it bears no resemblance to the 'bread and butter' range, unlike most flagship sporting models produced by mainstream manufacturers

those who participated in the debate last year about the future of rover may remember my prediction of "there wont be a rover this time next year", and it looks like my prediction is coming true, i for one won't lament its passing

Edited by stephenperry

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 14:47

< id=kpfLog style="DISPLAY: none" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload=destroy(this)>

Now look at this logically, what was announced today ? what do gov need to take peoples minds off the Sadam & WMD issue ? Why ........look how good we are, saved all these jobs in UK aren`t we good.... Who is saying the deal is floundering ?, A Government Leak, same as in WMD issue.... think this sounds far fetched......

< =text/>
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 15:16

Wonder if Patricia Hewitt checked with Gordon before throwing our money around???

£100m loan/gift to BL means £100m less for rail, roads, school dinners, NHS, old people, gypsy camps! etc etc.

If BL/Rover MG make cars that do not sell enough to make a decent profit why keep the company staggering along on handouts?

£100m could retrain the 26,000 BL dependents into other jobs, or grants to go to uni.

Ex-miners must wonder why their industry didn't get handouts. why is BL special?

Philip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:03
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

£100m could retrain the 26,000 BL dependents into other jobs, or grants to go to uni.

Ex-miners must wonder why their industry didn't get handouts. why is BL special?

Agreed on both counts, if the original plan of Alchemy (the venture capitalists who intended to buy, break up and sell off rover) buying rover off bmw went ahead then theres a good chance that all the workers at longbridge would have retrained, reskilled and would have other jobs by now, instead they got Pheonix (the consortium led by the aforementioned John Towers), who gave them false hope, which is in my view worse than no hope at all

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:27
Originally posted by stephenperry
<P> </P>
<P> </P>
<P>Agreed on both counts, if the original plan of Alchemy (the venture capitalists who intended to buy, break up and sell off rover)  </P>
<P>[/QUOTE stephenperry

Agreed on both counts, if the original plan of Alchemy (the venture capitalists who intended to buy, break up and sell off rover) 

[/QUOTE wrote:

< id=kpfLog style="DISPLAY: none" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload=destroy(this)>

Intere

Interesting View, Alchemy were infact going to close rover & run the company as a low volume sports car manufacturer using MG name. plan was to keep under 2000 enployees from what was then nearer 10,000

Why let facts get in the way of an interesting story   or as i think i posted last time a blinkered view < =text/>

Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:33

Oldies amongst you may remember the 1980s?

Ford tried to buy BL. BL's premium (ie high profit) products such as Range-Rover (which BL didn't even try to sell in the USA at that time) and Jaguar would have had access to Ford's US showrooms and Ford knowhow about how to sell cars to Americans. Ford might even have taught BL how to make cars that don't break down and have Air Con that works in American conditions. there was a huge outcry, Tory MP's waived the Union Flag and the deal was killed off. Ford got Jaguar a few years later in 1990. Have Ford ruined Jaguar, or taught them how to build good cars, and make some money in the process?

Just imagine if some good decisions had been made when BL was still a large concern. It could have been turned around like other lame duck car firms of the 70s that got state aid like Renault, Chrysler etc.

Philip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:34

im sure you realise by now that i'm not rovers biggest fan lol

i may be a little hazy on the whys and wherefores of the deal but the basic premise is still the same - Alchemy wanted to buy and strip, where Pheonix promised to buy and invest, shame they didn't come through on their promises

i was very surprised by your previous post on this issue:

"Now look at this logically, what was announced today ? what do gov need to take peoples minds off the Sadam & WMD issue ? Why ........look how good we are, saved all these jobs in UK aren`t we good.... Who is saying the deal is floundering ?, A Government Leak, same as in WMD issue.... think this sounds far fetched......"

do i detect sarcasm?  do i detect a scent of rover not being quite as lily-white as previously thought?   i must have mis-interpreted it

Edited by stephenperry

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:41

"low volume sports car manufacturer".... yeah, you're right....

very low volume, i've already mentioned the SV-R, who remembers the RV8?  (the MGB for the 90's, yeah what a brilliant idea, replace one rose-tinted-glasses bucket of sh... errr... nuts and bolts with another heap of junk)

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:45

My views on MG Rover are well known....

I object to any more of my taxes assisting a dead company.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Peter H View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:50

All i`m saying is don`t believe all you read, some of this is being "Manufactured" by parties looking to their own interests (Votes)

Jaguar is reverting to a low volume manufacturing status after Ford found out the hard way that they could not sell the same volumes as BMW, Audi & Merc

New XJ is virtually identical to old except for use of aluminium, Minor mods to look different from Aston with pricing just below

< =text/>
Das Wolperdinger

AHN-NYUNG-HEE GA-SEH-YO
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 16:58
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

who remembers the RV8?  (the MGB for the 90's, yeah what a brilliant idea, replace one rose-tinted-glasses bucket of sh... errr... nuts and bolts with another heap of junk)

RV8's were VERY popular in Japan I believe. In Japan you can also get a little Nissan saloon with a cloned Jag Mark 2 front end stuck on. Jap passion for olde worlde British heritage. they also love Van Den Plas Princess and other Brit rubbish.

Philip
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2005 at 17:01
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

[QUOTE=stephenperry]

...Jap passion for olde worlde British heritage....

A Golden Age which never existed

*groan*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic