FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSuspension Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension Dilemma
    Posted: 28-April-2003 at 20:26

Hello folks! - New here, but expect me to become a regular. (Probably asking for more help than I can give!)

I've got an E30 318iS... Bought this particular model for the M42 powerhouse (powerhut? powertent?) and the M-Tech suspension and brakes. I'm only 23 and my previous exploits in a '92 Mini Cooper put insurance way out of my reach for anything bigger.

Was looking at putting a Koni Sports damper and spring kit on. - When I went to their website they had 318is listed as non-M, and a seperate kit for M suspension. - Feeling curious I phoned local BMW bods and asked whether it was M or not. They told me (from chassis number) that my car didn't have the sports suspension, which was an optional extra.

I'm gutted!

Can anyone confirm what type was fitted as standard, and whether the optional extra was just lower/harder springs etc., as I've been told that's a possibility and that the actual suspension will be M anyway.

Thanks in advance, you're all 's

Sponsored Links

ajbm325ic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2003 at 08:19

Not 100% for the 318is, but the one i owned included the mtech setup, which i believed to be standard fit on this car.

My 1991 325i Motorsport convert has the mtech setup AGAIN, after taking off 40mm lowered replacements which were fitted in error (selling 40mm soon if anyone's interested). I recently went to a BMW dealer to replace the mtech setup with new standard fitments. I found that the part number for the inserts was the same number as standard 325i inserts with only the springs having  "mtech" option part numbers. The "mtech" part number for the springs applied to all E30 body styles.

I do believe that only the springs are mtech and not the inserts. A new set will cost you £250+. I have found the mtech to be the best all round performers

Hope this helps.

Andy

Omi318is View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2003 at 18:57

Right... Thanks to the great website provided by our very own b318isp I have ascertained the type of suspension I have, right down to the 51mm struts.  Cheers BP!

I now have to decide what type of damper/spring combo I need. - Bearing in mind that money IS an object, what do we recommend in here? Been offered a G-Max kit for £300 which will drop the car 55mm... Sounds horrid.

Suggestions?

skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2003 at 23:02

i had the koni fully adjustable on my cab ... to be frank  it was the best damn thing i did .

it made the handling great and i enjoyed scaring myself going round corners even faster then useual.

just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2003 at 13:21

If you want a little bit of comfort go with the Eibach/Bilstien combo. Change to H&R for a little harder.

Koni's are great dampers, but seem very slightly second best to Bilstein on the E30. Be cafeful about their adjustablility (unnecessary, and leave them on the softest setting for a few weeks after installing them).

Overall you are better upgrading the dampers first if money is tight - but springs should be available 2nd hand.

I personally would not advocage drops of more the 40mm from stock (25mm from M-Tech).

kickerbimmers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2003 at 22:53

The H&R products are fantastic, my wifes e30 and my e36 both have the coilover kits on them and they are the best ride and handling sets I have come across.  the spring sets are very sure footed for the money too.

If you buy direct from Motorsport Wheels, the UK importers, you'll save a fortune one the RRP's.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic