Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĂ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAircon Gas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aircon Gas
    Posted: 23-April-2005 at 12:14

My beloved 328 is coming up to 50k on the clock - barely run in I know - and an Insp II looms with one green light to go.

How often should the aircon gas be checked? Car is '96 and can't find any previous record amongst paperwork of this ever having been done. Aircon works fine with no problems but as Insp II is due may be worthwhile getting aircon sorted too.

PM
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2005 at 11:47

If the air con is working fine, then it shouldn't be touched, no need, although it is recommended to run it all year round in order to protect the seals & system, & stop any leaks.

The trouble with R134a is that while it is not itself an ozone depleting substance, it does however posess global warming properties & it is now illegal to charge any system with refrigerant, unless a leak has been identified & repaired, or all the existing refrigerant has been reclaimed, eg for a change of type refrigerant.

Hope this helps, & just keep it running mate. 

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2005 at 12:43

For anyone thats interested, I met this crowd today, at the Stoneleigh bash.

Although they were there to make money by re-gassing peoples systems, their advice was free, and I saw two instances where they turned down work, as they didnt think it would be in the customers best interests.

Case 1 was an E30 320i soft top, the advice was to change the drive belt ( owner reported noisy aircon).

Case 2 was my own E34 525i, 17 years old, covers less than 5000 miles a year, aircon has never worked since I've owned it, advice was not to bother, as they thought I didnt use the car often enough to justify the expense of getting the system working, and it was unlikely to stay working with the veryy little use it would get.

Honest advice indeed.

The company : Cool It, Four Barrows, Eweleaze Dairy, Dorchester, Dorset, DT2 9JN, tel office 01395 889843, tel workshop 01305 889234, It is run by two people, Noel Marsh mobile 07968 727095, & Alan Brown mobile 07971 890285.

http://www.coolit-ac.co.uk

Hope that helps someone.

Best Wishes

Nigel

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2005 at 15:43
It's good to know you can still get honest advice from some companies.  
E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

pma1ums View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2005 at 15:55
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

http://www.coolit-ac.co.uk

Hope that helps someone.

tut tut tut   ..lol   i dont know a nod doing a spot of advertsisssssssssing    .

only joking .....in fact i was asked by a freind down south whom to see ...so you saved me a job of posting for one   

its a dogs world out there
328Coupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2005 at 17:58
Originally posted by ally323 ally323 wrote:

If the air con is working fine, then it shouldn't be touched, no need, although it is recommended to run it all year round in order to protect the seals & system, & stop any leaks.

The trouble with R134a is that while it is not itself an ozone depleting substance, it does however posess global warming properties & it is now illegal to charge any system with refrigerant, unless a leak has been identified & repaired, or all the existing refrigerant has been reclaimed, eg for a change of type refrigerant.

Hope this helps, & just keep it running mate. 

Thanks for that - much appreciated. Its running fine so will just leave it.
PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic