Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1.8is starting grief

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1.8is starting grief
    Posted: 25-April-2005 at 13:27

Hi there and let me start by saying that one day I'd like to be dishing the advice out not always asking for it - the dream of a reliable E30 or as is rapidly becoming the case, the dream of an E36!

Was bombing about over the w/e very happily, go down the shop this a.m. no probs, go to start up on way home and nothing, just a click from v. dead battery.  Jump started okay but turning on radio or wipers all but kills the engine and the tacho was dead too.  Another jump start just got me home before cutting out again on switching lights on.

So, reading some of the other topics I think its probably the alternator not charging the battery maybe??  But, cannot explain why switching on ancillary systems would kill the engine since the power would be getting provided by the engine not the battery no?  Also, no warning light on the dash either which I would expect if alternator is not doing its job. 

So could it be just battery has died?  Suppose answer is get a jump start, check current from alternator etc yeah?  Second opinion(s) would be appreciated, cheers guys, Pengers.

Sponsored Links

micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2005 at 13:35
I would say Battery imo.Get someone to test it and take it from there.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2005 at 14:55
also check the earth.. may be loose
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2005 at 07:20

I agree. Check all major power connections first, 'cos that's free.

Suspect battery or alternator. The fact that switching on other circuits kills the suggest the alternator is at fault. One or two of the diodes in the rectifier can fail and the light won't come on. Actually, if the bulb in the light has failed, this may stop the alternator charging. Even if it's the alternator, the battery may have died as well.

Cheers, Neil
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2005 at 08:26

The rule I follow with this type of thing is to remember that mostly everything feeds from the battery, the battery is the reservoir of power and the alternator feeds that reservoir.

If the battery cannot hold a charge then switching on ancillaries can draw too much power from the alternator feed and the brain can be starved of voltage as well as other critical electrical systems as the battery cannot sustain the amperage draw the car needs. I don't believe the alternator is really designed to directly power the whole electrical system either so cannot sustain the amperage being drawn but may be wrong there. If the alternator's on its way out then that would just compound the issue.

Definately check all the connections and earths, then do a cold test on the battery, should be about 12.5v to 13v with nothing on, then a running test against the battery with a voltmeter to see what is being sent to the battery from the alternator, should be about 13.5v - 14v

Rob 

Edited by Madrab
1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
pengers View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2005 at 09:13

Thanks guys, new battery in and everything fine, amazing what a dead battery can do to a car and equally amazing at how rapidly it died but not terribly amazing that it decided to pick a v. inconvenient time and place to let go.

Cheers, pengers.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic