Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 Headlamp Units

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 Headlamp Units
    Posted: 25-April-2005 at 18:22

Can the lens cover of the headlight unit be removed?

I want to get inside the covers and clean them out but believe they are sealed. Read somewhere that the only way to remove lens cover is to remove the sealant. On looking at the BMW parts data base the lens cover looks like a seperate part that is removable? So now confused!

PM
Sponsored Links

ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2005 at 05:09

Hi mate,

There are two ways of doing this, either remove the flat lens from the front by undoing the 4 metal clips, & cutting the sealant away, or remove the headlight completely, separate the unit by undoing the 3 clips along the top, & two at the bottom. The inner lenses can then be removed by cutting the sealant around them, & you can get in to clean that way too. Not sure which method is best though, & if you are feeling flush, it's best to treat her to new lenses, but obviously try cleaning em first & see how they look.   

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

328Coupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2005 at 12:46
Originally posted by ally323 ally323 wrote:

Hi mate,

There are two ways of doing this, either remove the flat lens from the front by undoing the 4 metal clips, & cutting the sealant away, or remove the headlight completely, separate the unit by undoing the 3 clips along the top, & two at the bottom. The inner lenses can then be removed by cutting the sealant around them, & you can get in to clean that way too. Not sure which method is best though, & if you are feeling flush, it's best to treat her to new lenses, but obviously try cleaning em first & see how they look.   

Thanks for that. Much appreciated. Had considered new ones but will give cleaning a go first.
PM
Malc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2005 at 04:03
Yello,
Be VERY careful if you remove those little clips that hold the glass in. They WILL dissappear ( PING !! ) into the surroundings, never to be found again.

Cheers Malc...........
328Coupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2005 at 10:20

Originally posted by Malc Malc wrote:

Yello,
Be VERY careful if you remove those little clips that hold the glass in. They WILL dissappear ( PING !! ) into the surroundings, never to be found again.

Cheers Malc...........

Thanks Malc. Might just save my Mrs and near neighbours hearing loud obscenities if they did go ping!

I take it you have removed headlamp lenses? How easy/difficult was it - apart from the obvious ping? What sealant did you use when re-assembling. I've been advised to use low modulus (LM) sealant but can't find it anywhere.

PM
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2005 at 11:23

if taking off outside lense then you will need new seal from BMW Dealer

you would be besttaking headlamp out and taking the front half off like Ally says

Then take out inside glass and you can clean from there

Just replace the glass using black silicon sealer

Or if you have a spare £100 get new ones from GFS As it makes so much difference with new lenses

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2005 at 12:31
Mines have misted up something terrible since i fitted the ccfls, & i have done the mod at the back covers with the drill, dunno if it's cos i removed the inner lenses then replaced them or what, but I think i'll need to get new lenses too.  
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Malc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2005 at 03:33
Yello,
>> I take it you have removed headlamp lenses? How easy/difficult was it - apart from the obvious ping?

I refitted a complete new unit as one of mine was smashed by a stone. But out of curiousity I had a quick play with the glass clips. PING !! D'oh !!   

Cheers Malc.........
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2005 at 06:55
Yeh, I took em apart & it was easy enough, just cut the sealant away around the inner lenses, but I haven't tried taking off the outer lens, left that well alone.
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic