Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nick DE View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: car sitting idle for 9 months
    Posted: 05-May-2005 at 07:50

You shouldn't have any major problems. Turning over a sleeping car is bad for it - don't use it at all, or take it out for a good long run.

Put your wheels on and check the tyre pressures. Check all your fluids, drive belts, hoses, wires etc. Recharge the battery (really you should have taken it out, stored it somewhere dry and trickle-charged once a month). The tank should be full before a long rest to reduce rusting - you should have only one tank unless someone added the supplementary tank (very unlikely).

Unless the oil was extremely old it should not have solidified in 9 months. Disconnect the lead from the condenser to the distributor, and then turn over the motor until the oil warning light goes out. This will pump oil back through the motor, plus allow the fuel pump to refill the system. Reconnect the lead, and hopefully it should start. Run until warm, then do a full service (oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs etc)

The brakes may be a bit stuck/rusty after 9 months - try them gently a few times before relying on them, and check them often for the next few weeks.

Keep a close eye on fluids etc for a few weeks as hoses etc may have deteriotated.

If you want to be good change the gearbox oil, differential oil, brake fluid and coolant - depends on how long it was since they were last done. Check your cambelt is not overdue.

Finally vacuum, wash, polish etc and enjoy

Go Darkness
Sponsored Links

mal51 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2005 at 22:13

Hi Bimmers

I am returning to Galway in a few weeks time after spending 9 months working in New Zealand. During the period I was away my 1990 BMW 318i has been sitting on bricks with the wheels removed.
Could anyone please tell what problems I may encounter when I attempting to start the car after it standing still for such a long period. While I was away I had no one to turn the car over for me.

The only problems I can think of are the obvious ones.

Drained Battery
Solidified oil in the engine sump
Evaporated petrol in the fuel lines
Rubbish in the petrol tank

How would I get fuel in the infection units?

If possible could someone also tell if the above car has a single or a double petrol tanks and is the petrol guage level part of the fuel pump. Which fuse covers the fuel guage. The Bentley BMW book does not cover these issues.

Many thanks
Malachy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic