Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Motronic or L-Jetronic
    Posted: 02-May-2005 at 14:10

Hi

This is a very stupid question and I probably should'nt own an E30 BMW anymore after asking this, but how the hell do you tell whether you're car is a Motrnic of L-Jetronic System. My 1987 320i seems to have been made right at the time that BMW switched over to Motronic. One parts person at BMW says it is L-Jetronic and then another one says it is Motronic. My mechanic keeps changing his mind also. Is there a quick fire way to tell the difference?

Thanks

BeemaBoy

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 14:34
Motronic cars had the fuel pump inside the tank (under the rear seat behind the driver) whilst Jetronic ones had the tank under the car near the rear passenger wheel.
(I stand to be corrected)
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
RedOctober View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2005 at 15:35

Motronic cars had the ignition timing mapped as well as the fuel injector settings. L-Jetronic only had the fuel settings mapped in the ECU.

Because of this, the distributors on Motronic are very different from L-Jetronic. Motronic Distributors don't have to vary the ignition timing and simply consist of a rotor arm and cap.

The Motronic rotor arm and dizzy cap are driven directly from the camshaft, and are situated at the very top front of the engine, right at the end of the camshaft-you'll see all the ignition leads going there.

The L-Jetronic dizzy has the ignition timing advance mechanisms built into it, and is situated on the passenger side of the engine block near the front, about half-way down.

The L-Jetronic dizzy cap is removed upwards, whereas the Motronic dizzy cap is removed forwards off the end of the top cam pulley timing cover, at the top front of the engine.

All E30 325i's were Motronic-early 320i's were L-Jetronic with a single exhaust pipe and 125bhp. Later Motronic 320i's had 2 small tailpipes coming out of the rear exhaust silencer box, and had 129bhp. I think 1988 may have been the change-point, unless someone out there knows better!

Hope this helps!

Alex

"I was just clearing out the cylinders, Officer"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic