Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW X Power (4x4 BMWs)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThe X3’s ride. Is it just me??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The X3’s ride. Is it just me??
    Posted: 08-May-2005 at 15:53

Ive had my X3 3.0 SE for about 6 weeks and driven almost 2,500 miles. I first test drove a Sport model but found the ride almost unbearable. My wife was in the front and my mother in the rear and both commented on how uncomfortable it was. I then drove an SE and it seemed better and I thought I could live with it. 6 weeks on Im not so sure. I love the performance and handling but the ride!! How did BMW get it so wrong? I have owned 3 BMWs with Sports suspension: 328SE (with optional sport suspension, 330 Sport Convertible and a 330D Sport Touring. While they all rode firmly they did not jitter as much as the X3.

I travel regularly between my home on the South Coast and Wolverhampton using a selection of roads including M27, M3, A34 and M40. At times the car glides along but once the surface deteriorates the ride gets very twitchy and at times I feel slightly nauseous.

I bought my car second hand. It was an ex- BMW GB Management car with only 700 miles on the clock. It was fully loaded with Professional Sat Nav, TV, Leather and a host of other extras. The current OTR cost would be 37,000 but I got it for under 30,000.

I have no complaints about the quality of the fit and finish, although some of the plastics do mark easier than on my previous BMWs.

Im hoping I get used to the ride but if not I dont see our relationship lasting more than a year.

Sponsored Links

StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 07:56

Hi Gaza

I've had my 3.0SE since last June (purchased new) and the ride has improved, a little.  It can still only be described as hard at best.

I've also been in a sport and I think it's barely different IMHO.

Haven't noticed any aftermarket kits available as yet.

I'm now cr@pping myself on the trade in tho as I have a 3.0d on order for this September and if you paid <30k for yours with 700 miles, heaven knows what they'll offer me on mine...

We're at 15,500 miles of happy and fairly rapid motoring so far, but I've a feeling the residuals may give me more pain than the ride

Boost baby, BOOST!
Gaza View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 08:39

I'm glad it's not just me! I've posted a similar comment on the American bimmerfest board and the views there are very different. Most seem happy with the ride. This seems very strange. During my many vists to the US I found their roads to be worse than ours. I can only assume that BMW use a differnet suspension set-up over there.

They also seem to be able to get a 3.0 with a manual transmission but we can't.

Residuals don't seem to be holding up as much as predicted. A quick glance at the Sunday Times Motoring section reveals quite a few low mileage, high spec X3's for sale at around the 30k mark. Dealers also seem to be struggling to shift their ex-demo stock. One dealer I spoke to has had a FULLY loaded car sitting on his forecourt for a couple of months priced at around 37k but with no serious offers.

I almost bought a low mileage 2.5 Sport that had a good spec (around 34K OTR) that was being punted for 29K. An inexperienced salesman brought up the "what they paid" part of the computer system and I saw they had bought it in for 28K four months earlier. According to my local dealer they had been offered the car but had bid about 27K. The first dealer had steadily reduced the price from around 32k.

I am sure residuals will settle down. I suspect there were quite a few speculators who ordered and bought cars when the prediction was for X5-like 18 month wait times. Due largely to the unfavourable reception from the motoring press the waitlists have vanished and with them the speculators expectations of large profits. Most will be cutting their losses and bailing out.

My local dealer reported 5 cancelled orders in the wake of Clarksons demolition job on Top Gear.

I suspect that BMW will be keen to avoid pissing off their customers and will try very hard on the "price to change" for those buying another BMW.

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2005 at 09:48
Makes me wonder what they handle like offroad, will be having a go in one at Rockingham soon, I know what the X5 is like (had a choice of either so went for the X5 last time, this time its just the X3)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
StuB View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Z Head

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2005 at 05:44

Been in the X3 at Rockingham and I thought it was very good.  Bryn also came along (another X3 owner) and compared the car very favourably with the Landies he instructs in (on standard road tyres with standard road pressures!).

Asked the BMW instructor what the difference was between the 5 and 3 - overhangs and ground clearance only was the answer, which are the things that make the 3 better on road than the 5 (IMHO).

Will soon see about the price to change.

Boost baby, BOOST!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic