Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked318ti problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 318ti problems
    Posted: 06-May-2003 at 20:11

I am having some possible problems that you guys and gals might be able to help me with.

I have a standard w reg 318ti sport compact with m series supsension which I have only had one month and I am experiencing the following problems:

Miss firing? - not all the time but it feels as though the engine coughs?

Idle speed - its running at around 850rpm idle but the whole car is shaking ever so slightly. Almost as if the automatic choke is kicking in the stop the car from staling

Exhaust - its rasping when I give it a bit of throttle, happens at about 3500 4000 rpm

Staling - I am getting this quite a lot on start up and then I have to use the accelerator to get the car to fire?

Are these common problems or is there something really wrong? This is my first bimmer and I don't know a lot about them, the idle speed thing is rather worrying.

Any ideas, anyone

Sponsored Links

Mole-E30 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-May-2003 at 08:56

In response, I have a 316i sport compact, and my father had a 318is, we have had some of your problems...

Miss firing, this was caused on the 318is engine, by problems with the valve tapets, our local dealer fixed these under waranty.

Exhaust rasping, I have had this on my compact, found to be the Cat baffles shifting, these were again covered and fixed free of charge under the waranty.

Hope this helps

Bruce

Chris View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2003 at 00:02

hi robjohn

I had the idle speed problem too does your gear stick and seat shake abit, when you open the engine bay the engine block is shaking, when I had my dakar yellow compact took it Menzies bmw in Stirling twice where I bought it they told me the twin cam M44 engine is like that....

I then took it to easten in Edinburgh where they told me the M44 engines latter on had its cam timing changed authorised by BMW as a important change, and my car slipped through the systems. To cut a long story short I had to pay £200 to get it done because my X 2000 compact only had the one year warranty and it expired 3 months ago.

The end result it was ok for 2 months and the shaking re-appeared again, by than I was too pissed off and was going to modify my car alot so wouldn't have much of a case later on to get them to fix it (chip, ram air induction kit, exhaust, short shift, adjustable roll bars, springs, bike cam exhaust) so just left it in the knowledge another BMW garage ripped me off....

But I have sold the car now with 25,000 miles and it still shakes and idles poorly but i soon got use to it and stopped thinking about it i don't think it will cause any damage because I've driven it for about 15,000 miles with the idle problem....

As for the exhaust not sure changed mine to bike cam exhaust, regarding the stalling I had to problem abit when I started it in the cold or left the car for a week without driving it had to call out the A&E bmw services to get my car started. The friendly chap told me the M44 engines don't have the systems like the E46 models to vary the start up (something on those lines!!!)

I hope this helps i understand your problems, I loved that motor it attracted so much attention I miss it just replying to this post...

Take Care

Chrisss

b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2003 at 14:19

I think that you may want to clean you Idle Control Valve. Easy enough to remove - clean it with some carb cleaner while operating the valve with a screwdriver or similar.

There is no auto choke.

The exhaust noise sounds desirable!

robjohn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2003 at 14:43
thanks for the replies, as for the axhaust sounding desirable, it doesn't trust me. sounds very very bad

I have booked the car to go back to the main dealer where I got it from so we'll see what they say. I let you all know what the outcome is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic