Forum Locked159mph, and he got off???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 15:37

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

The police round here train on the by-pass, and have been sean doing well over a ton. 2 volvo's one in front weaving about 2nd following.

Think they'd mind if some of us civilians joined in procession?

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:05

Leave the copper alone.

He wemt a little over the top, and got away with it, good luck to him.

Other officers think he was over the top too.

Most of your gripes ( Stephen excepted ), are down to the stupid way speed limits are both set and enforced at the moment.

Despite cretins like CC Brunstrom, this has very little to do with the Police, they are often ignored at the partnership meetings and stick up for higher speed limits etc than many of you think.

Your real problem these days isn't the police, its the scamera partnerships, the do gooders on councils who listen to every bleating mother who wants Johnny to be able to play football in the middle of the M1, and the likes of brake and transport 2000.

Although over the top the PC is trained, so lets leave him alone to protect us.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:12
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

....the PC is trained, so lets leave him alone to protect us.

Hey, I'd like some lessons in proper high-speed driving. What'd he charge us for tuition?

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:14
Make a start doing your regular advanced, see what friends you make !
Best Wishes

Nigel

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:15

When's your next training session?

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:17
To be fair, I have been known to do 155 indicated a couple of times in the tubby Supra but in this case of the copper, surely it should be that OK he might have been trained etc, I don't dispute that, but didn't he abuse his position as a copper just a tiny weeny bit and the way he is portrayed in photo's today in the papers etc he doesn't do himself any favours, he looks smug and that just enrages people even more. OK he was effectively cleared but there is no need to look smug about it, thats like sticking a finger up at every other motorist and saying 'Igot a way with it, but just you try it in my patch and I'll get you'.

I don't think its the speed he was doing, although that was bad, its the seeming disregard for what might have happened. He may be highly trained but that car could still have gone out of control and possibly killed him and others.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:23

Leave the copper alone.

I think twice the limit on the motorway and 3 timees the limit on other roads is more than a little over the top!

There should be a system by which this sort of driving can be authorised and monitored, otherwise how can he rate his performance, and without the control room's involvement how can they state as a fact the road was clear and it was safe. At nearly 3 miles a minute he had no way of ensuring that on his own.

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:34
Originally posted by rubberknees50 rubberknees50 wrote:

Leave the copper alone.

I think twice the limit on the motorway and 3 timees the limit on other roads is more than a little over the top!

There should be a system by which this sort of driving can be authorised and monitored, otherwise how can he rate his performance, and without the control room's involvement how can they state as a fact the road was clear and it was safe. At nearly 3 miles a minute he had no way of ensuring that on his own.

Knowing your/our background Ian, I'm surprised at your comments

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:35

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Sunday AM, why, want to come ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 17:46

Sunday AM, why, want to come ?

Where?

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 18:16
Its in Worcester Horsey, but is a proper IAM observer training run, so I won't be breaking any speed limits.
Best Wishes

Nigel

billgates e30 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 18:23
Nigel, what do you think of the RoSPA certidicates, any good or not??
Bill Gates aka Chris

BMW Club NE
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 18:26

...Its in Worcester Horsey, ....

Any chance of you doing a session nearer Herts.?

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 18:28

Originally posted by billgates e30 billgates e30 wrote:

Nigel, what do you think of the RoSPA certidicates, any good or not??

I think any advanced driving course is good.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 18:30

...Its in Worcester Horsey, ....

Any chance of you doing a session nearer Herts.?

PM me your name, address, & phone number, and I'll get your local people to deal, or...come to an event that I'm at, and I'll give you a demo run, and an assessment drive, in whichever order you prefer.

Best Wishes

Nigel

whiterider View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2005 at 19:27

Why? He's not saying it isn't necessary to do these sort of test drives, only they should be under control. Would either of you been allowed to take an RAF vehicle off base without authority on public roads and behave like this with no comeback?

Would you be pleased to hear they do these sort of sspeeds on the roads around your home whenever they took a fancy to?

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:06

Leave the copper alone.

Most of your gripes ( Stephen excepted ), are down to the stupid way speed limits are both set and enforced at the moment.

Despite cretins like CC Brunstrom, this has very little to do with the Police, they are often ignored at the partnership meetings and stick up for higher speed limits etc than many of you think.

Your real problem these days isn't the police, its the scamera partnerships, the do gooders on councils who listen to every bleating mother who wants Johnny to be able to play football in the middle of the M1, and the likes of brake and transport 2000.

Although over the top the PC is trained, so lets leave him alone to protect us.

Well said Nigel.

I haven't read all of the replies since I last looked but a lot of the comments people have made are about "why shouldn't I be allowed to test my car out and see what it can do?"

The simple answer to this is because it isn't your job to pursue criminals who are very likely to break the speed limit in order to get away. Some of you guys would be the first to complain if the Police weren't allowed to break the limit in order to chase a criminal. 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:24
My own personal opinion and no doubt I will be yelled at for it but I just get the feeling this officer let his adrenaline get the better of him. We have all done it at least once. But the problem with this case as I see it is that he was not in pursuit and he was 'getting to know the car'. Getting to know the car should not mean going that fast that he puts his own life in danger, let alone anyone elses. That car was new to him, he had no idea what it might handle like or if indeed it would handle at such speeds, especially as alot of pursuit cars are heavier due to added equipment on them and we have all had a car that has a potentially dangerous fault. He showed scant disregard to this and he should have been punished in some way for what he did.

However, he didn't and his 'You can't touch me' attitude as he left the court was entirely unjustified and just made matters worse.

He could have killed himself in that car, in the same way I could have killed myself in mine either on the road or on the dragstrip. The trouble is, as I see it anyway, I get the feeling the adrenaline kicked in and he ignored the side of his training to keep it under control. He acted like a child with a new toy, and for whatever reason not only did he get away with it but his demeanor enraged people even more.

I am sure that had he rolled the car and died the headlines would have been 'Hero cop killed in tragic accident', but he didn't die, he was lucky and he and the car got back to base in one piece.

Its not the speed he did but the smugness of his attitude at being let off that has enraged people far more.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:35
Originally posted by whiterider whiterider wrote:

Why? He's not saying it isn't necessary to do these sort of test drives, only they should be under control. Would either of you been allowed to take an RAF vehicle off base without authority on public roads and behave like this with no comeback?

Would you be pleased to hear they do these sort of sspeeds on the roads around your home whenever they took a fancy to?

I would be very surprised if Ian never abused his uniform, or rank to suit himself, never used an crows footed battery in a civvy peice of kit, never used HM Equipment for his own benefit, including vehicles.

The reason for all the publicity when this stuff happens is due to the stupid enforcement of stupid motoring laws to pander to the politicaly correct, gobby few.

The Police in some ways ask for this, but the press make it ten times worse.

I didn't see any complaints when West Mercia ( this guys force) nicked the camera van.

The far worse event recently was when the Manchester head of road safety ( a high ranking policeman) was caught doing 100 plus on the M6 toll road in his own car.

The PC was almost certainly enjoying himself, there probably was an element of test to what he was doing, even in some of his colleges opinions he went too far, but he got away with it so good luck to him.

The lady with the apple is another good example of how the Police can cock it up, although I'm sure we will never know the truth about that.

By pandering to the press idiots on stories like this I think you are actually helping groups like brake and transport 2000.

On BBC radio two yesterday even the IAM wouldn't speak out against the officer, even though everyone there knew what he did was at the very least a bit tounge in cheek.

Everyone who drives seems to be feling bitter about how the motoring laws are enforced, but on the whole it isn't the police.

You would be amazed at just how many officers have been procescted for doing 35 in a 30, on duty, in Panda cars by the scamera partnerships.

And they have been nicked, not let oiff, the odd story hits the headlines like the Ambulance driver on the motorway with the donated organs for an op. One of the scamera partnerships involved (not the Police ) just wouldn't let this drop, so the government eventually made them, then they said they were just clarifying the law !

How many times have people on here been stopped and "given advice", I certainly have.

At some point we need to support our Police, and fight the real enemy, the road safety campaigners who would have us all back to a man in front with a red flag.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2005 at 03:42
I accept your feelings wholeheartedly Niggles but this has moved on from the speed he did. He could have come out of court and said how stupid he was and that he let his adrenaline take over and that he was sorry and that he wouldn't be so stupid in the future and that he wasn't thinking etc etc

But he didn't, he just looked as smug as he could and gave off the wrong signals. He showed no remorse for his own stupidy. That demeanor made him look like he didn't care that someone might have got in the way of his professional joyride and that he might have been killed because of it.

The police have a hard time getting respect as it is, only a couple of days ago another officer was suspended on racial issues, this one has enraged people initially by the actions behind the wheel but far more by his scant disregard to peoples feelings afterwards. That does not win any favours in respect towards the police.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic