Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 09:50

Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

[

Having used the A13, I came to the conclusion that 145 was the average speed of many of the drivers....

And that was on the hard shoulder..........

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Sponsored Links

Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 09:56
How about this for a twist...

Taken from todays Sun..Clarkson writes...

"....However, I simply do not believe that PC Milton was travelling at 159mph.

I mean, for crying out loud he was driving a ****** Vauxhall Vectra. Even though his model was the 3.2 V6, it would be all out of puff by 155mph.

According to the Top Gear Mag, the top speed is 154mph, so why didn't he use this in his defence?

Well that would mean admitting that the on-board video equipment which is used to snare you and I must have given a false reading.

Its possible.

Last time I was prosecuted for speeding in 1987 I was filmed doing 104mph in a car that could only do 101mph.

And last week Police who pulled me over on the M40 said I was doing tween 80 and 85, when the speedo in my car was showing 70.

So sorry but I believe the equipment was faulty. And if PC Milton was going to be charged with anything, it should have been in possession of an offensive moustache."
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 11:18
Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

....Taken from todays Sun...

You're a fan of kwalitee newspapers, then

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 11:27
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

....Taken from todays Sun...

You're a fan of kwalitee newspapers, then

not really but it passed the time a way
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2005 at 15:19

A friend of mine was pulled over on the M2 years back roadtesting a Suzuki 500. When the officers asked him if he knew he was doing 85mph on a road where the limit was 70mph he replied " No officer, I thought I was doing a ton"

Heard nothing for ages (while every officer on traficc had a good laugh?) then it was dropped. Who says the police don't have a sense of humour!

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 03:34
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

If its so important to be able to "Hone Your Skills" ala PC Martin without breaking the law,  get yourself off to the 6 Thousand Km of Autobahn still Unrestricted--I Hone each year @ 260kph + , and sharpen up the reflexes for 3 days on the NurburgRing--- BUT-- I dont do 130kph in a 48kph zone.

Many posts have pointed out the Real problems with OUR countries Govt attitude to the Motorist, being political and revenue motivated Only. This Govt pass ill conceived laws and then the public have to accept a feeble , unsupervised, ill advised response from the Courts, CPS and Police , Headless chickens in ever decreasing circles.

If YOU dont like what you get--AND have been getting for some years, You were invited to Vote it away---BUT you didnt want it enough.

So NO good complaining about one law for them, one for you----You have 4 years to think about it.

I wondered when you would appear and try and move the subject onto the government. Big Smile 

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 08:04
The main problem of course is would any of the other parties do it any different!
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 09:56

Originally posted by rubberknees50 rubberknees50 wrote:

The main problem of course is would any of the other parties do it any different!

Of course it would be different, I cant imagine the tories spouting this much rubbish for so long.

This government hates cars and their drivers, and will use every trick in the book, plus some, to extort more money from us under any guise so they can support whatever good cause they next want to play with.

Who the hell votes labour ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 10:01
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Who the hell votes labour ?

I didn't...

Had to do a postal vote and seeing as I didn't know who to decide on for the Izzle, I stuck a pin into the sheet of paper and did it that way...stabbed the Liberal Democrat person.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 11:26

I didn't but none of the other main parties would do anything different, the Tories included.

I still don't know what this has to do with a police officer doing 159mph though.....................

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 11:36
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

I still don't know what this has to do with a police officer doing 159mph though.....................

I thought we'd done that one, he did it, presented his reasons in court, and got away with it.

I can't see anyone launching a retrial just because we want to have a go at speeding from time to time, when its safe to do so....me included.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2005 at 11:58
Its all politics..

Everything is politics, and if not politics, its religion.

If person 'A' speeds its politically correct to lock them up and chuck the keys away..but if person 'B' does the same thing and wears a uniform at the same time..well we all know the answer there.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 03:26
How about this one then lads...

Yesterday a copper had his case thrown out of court.

He was driving his Astra through Bolsover in Derbyshire at 90mph in a 30mph zone. Another police car was following him. They were both responding to a 999 call.

The lead car went out of control, hit a car and then went into the side of a house. The black box in the car registered it as doing 90mph at time of impact.

He was taken to court for careless driving in a built up area, the second car was proven to be going slower than the one that crashed.

Here's the rub...

The black box was 'lost' after the accident and after it had been read. The court threw out the case and apologised to the copper for the inconvenience caused and blasted the CPS for lack of evidence and for not knowing where the black box was after it left the hands of the police. The second car driver said that both cars were doing less than 60mph at the time of the crash.

I hope the owners of the car and house he hit get a healthy amount of compensation from the copper concerned as this one definately stinks of police getting rid of evidence...ie the black box...as it was the same division that these two officers worked with who were sposed to hand over the incriminating evidence that proved he was driving too fast in a built up area. 999 call or not, there are strict guidlines that should be followed for driving in response to a 999 call through built up areas.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 05:40

All this bitterness towards the police regarding speeding is, in my opinion, caused by ill feeling towards speed cameras and their operators.

This is NOT the police, they still do their speed campaigns where they are needed, but are not in control of scameras.

I assure you lots and lots of policemen and women have had tickets for breaking the speed limit , whilst on duty, driving police vehicles, and they do pay the fines, and take the points.

Training or 999 shouts, what do you want ?, do you want them to respond to you as quickly as they think they can ?, ( we are all open to mistakes )

Hindsight is always a great thing, and the report you get over the radio can be very different from whats happening in reality.

The officers themselves are demoralised enough with all this stuff, as are fireman and ambulance drivers, who get nicked in equal numbers.

Why should they get away with the odd mistake ?, because they are serving us, day in, day out, whichever service they belong to.

If your bitter about how traffic laws are being enforced, try your mp, bombard your scamera partnership etc, the police force is still a disciplined service, and as such they are required to do as theyre told.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 05:58
It isn't 'bitterness' at all.

Just a protest by many about the one rule for one, and another rule for everyone else.

Losing evidence isn't new and it does happen. And it often happens more where police are under investigation. (This I do have experience of thanks to late parents employment).

We are told we must respect the police, fine but until a certain number can respect the uniform they wear and the job they are entrusted to do properly, then no-one can blame people for not having respect of them as a whole.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 06:06

Its the bosses I want lol, the one who was in charge of road safety from manchester, brunstrom etc.

Not the rank and file guys and gals.

The likes of brake, and transport 2000, red ken etc, they are the real problem.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 06:11

Several people have mentioned that the PC should use a track for that sort of speed while "testing the car", as track day user on the bike I think you can learn a lot about the vehicle on a track but in all honesty, not a lot of that is relevent on the road, on a track you know there is nothing coming towards you, you ignore/tape up mirrors, know the road surface is free from oil and so on.

I think the police should set an example, that is part of their job, but I also think think that they need to constantly train themselves, by courses and by driving fast in real world circumstances, if my girlfriend was knocked over by ordinary car driver who drove off from the scene and the police pursued them I would hope that they have enough training to catch the "bad person" (I remembered the moderators )

The only thing that, in my opinion would have helped thie PC is if he had someone else in the car to assist (observation etc.) - that would have reduced the "going for a jolly" out-cry by the press.

Cheers,

Bryce

Bryce,
Volvo FL614/Saxon (1996)(HFRS).
BMW 525i SE touring (1992)
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 06:22

Even his fellow officers think he was a very lucky chappy indeed to get away with this.

He is not a good example to use.

I'm not too disapointed, as if I ever get stopped for a few miles over the limit I shall claim I have new tyres or whatever, I'm trained to advanced level, and I was testing the vehicle etc.

I hope you will all come and visit me in HMP Whatever

Best Wishes

Nigel

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 06:26
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

The likes of brake, and transport 2000, red ken etc, they are the real problem.

They might have the ideas but its the government who choose whether or not to make them happen. Maybe some of their ideas are ridiculous but they don't have the last word as to what is and what isn't put into being.

In respect to the law enforcement side, while you still have persistant racial problems, persistant speeders who use the uniform as their cover and persistant obnoxious coppers who use their uniform to be little Hitler's, then sorry and all that but the entire police force will always be tarred with the same brush in alot of peoples minds.

The bad apples might be in the minority but its those that we hear about and see in the media the most. And its the actions of that minority that the rest are measured upto.

It isn't the fault of the media. The blame lays squarely on the shoulders of those in charge...the ones above the Chief Constables. The Chief Constables are just the puppets of those above, they do the least they can to stamp out the minority of bad apples so that when one of their own is had up on something they can just say 'we tried to stop it happening but...'

Its all hogwash.

I will respect the police uniform when it as a whole gets its act together and weeds out those within the ranks who use the uniform as cover for their law breaking and their higher than the almighty attitude towards people.

Edited by Goldryder

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2005 at 07:05

To expect there will ever be a Police force in this country or any country for that matter that doesn't have a few bad apples is unrealistic. In any job or walk of life there are bad apples and the police are no different. 

The fact that you only ever hear about the bad ones is because as a general rule only bad news makes good news.

What evidence do you have for saying that there are some of the Police are persistant speeders who use the uniform as a cover? Just because there have been a few high profile cases of the Police being caught speeding doesn't mean that the individuals involved are persistant speeders.

As a final thought, the Police need to operate, on certain occasions, to different rules than the rest of us in order to do their job. If you rang the Police because a man had broken into your house with the intention of raping you would you not want the Police to be there as soon as possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic