Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOwner ship

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: How long to you plan on keeping your current car and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [16.67%]
5 [7.58%]
4 [6.06%]
10 [15.15%]
36 [54.55%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Banned User
Banned User
Andy K

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Owner ship
    Posted: 28-May-2005 at 12:23

I have had lots of cars in my time both old and new and the best car i have ever owned  has to be the bmw e34 ,that is why i have now gone back to one, not because its all i can afford but because its such a great car in all aspects.

And now i have finaly found one again i plan on getting it as close to A1 as i can i would sooner spend my money on this than going out and buying any other car, im 37 years old now and can not see myself ever selling, unless something really drastic goes wrong with it.

Hence this poll, i was just wondering how many others felt the same way?

Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 13:28
When mine is paid off I might get something else. The compact is a sensible practical solution. It has a good load space, is economical with a light right foot and and solves parking issues being 8 or 9 inches shorter than the coupe/saloon.
The E39 looks quite nice, but was out of my liit at the time I bought the ti (for a nice one anyway)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
speedy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 13:46
Seeing as i have a spares donor car i can afford to keep mine for quite a long time 
1995 520i se auto 24v saloon
MattE View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 14:17
I will probably keep mine for about 2 years. This is only due to the amount of mileage I do (around 45k a year). I will definately buy another BM though, probably another E39 though as the new shape really hasn't grown on me...... well not yet anyway!

This is my first BM and I never want to go back, I've never had a car that I can do 4/500 miles in a day and not feel tired... it's great!

2002 E39 530i Steptronic Sport Touring
Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 14:25
I was going to keep mine 3 years...but its looking like it maybe 3 months....we will see. 
Philip
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 15:01
I intend keeping mine (528)as long as possible, it's well specced in pretty good condition and it goes and handles well enough - with a few tweeks,lol
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
e34-520iSE View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 15:57
I really would like to have mine in 5 yrs time. By then
it will be 20 yrs old and turn more heads that it does
already! I have a shedload of spares, a complete
engine & box I could drop in immediately if needed,
and half an engine to build a 2.7 out of. I know I've
spent 2k+ on it but I love the comfort, handling and
sucurity I have when I drive it. E34's? A future classic
methinks.....

Cheers,

Shaun
Self confessed madman
1990 Brilliantrot 2 ltr M20.

Air force definition of explosives: A loud noise followed by the sudden going away of what was once there a second ago.

jamie (e39)528i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 16:40

I cant see me selling the e39 528 for a while yet as it does everything i need it to!!

However i may be swayed by a touring version when i do come to sell as my family is getting bigger and could do with the extra space ie buggies etc......

I like to change my car every 2 years roughly but that can be subject to change as i kept the e30 for 4 years and the e34 only 18 months!!!!

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 18:36
I have had my chevette now for almost two years and I love her to bits. Would only sell that if someone offered me a ridiculous amount of money, and even then I'd think twice. Can't see that ever leaving my driveway. The E28 was a cheap purchase, and that hasn't turned a wheel in my ownership as it is still not MoT'd (any day now......). However, on the very brief late night short drives I have had, I have loved the smooth cruising ability and the kick in the back on kickdown.... plus the alarming ability to drink unleaded. My astra will probably have to go in the next couple of months to finance the upkeep of the 525e. Sad to see her go, she was my first car. So, one will never be sold, the second will never be sold, and the third may have to go shortly against my wishes.
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
320ci View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 22:11

Had my BM 6 months, love her to bits, I know its only a 3 series, but its my first BM and I can't see myself driving anything else really. Would love a 5 though  

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 11:23

never never never I just love it, its going to cost me but it I think its werth it. at the moment.

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
micky_h View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2005 at 15:17
Well I have had my E36 M3 for about 8 weeks now.I'm only gonna keep it for about 2 years.Having owned my other realistic 'dream' cars,a Mk2 Golf Gti 8v and a Peugeot 306 Gti,I had to have an M3.When I bought it it was the last chance I could have a car like that,as I want a house next.My next car will probably be another MK4 Golf GTTdi or Passat or maybe an E39 Tds or a ........
chazzer View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
V8 Baby !!!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 10:36

i have had my e34 nearly five years and would never sell it, i have done about 60k in it ..the head has been done, which wasnt cheap but worth it.. some people (mainly the missus) think i am crazy spending money to keep it mint and running well but i think it is well worth it ! just flew through another mot with 178,000 on the clock..  

if i was to get another car it wouldnt be anything but BMW and probably e34....

Current : 1995 BMW E34 540I Auto 98K Fully Loaded, Leather, Sat Nav & Dvd. Previous: 1991 BMW E34 520I Manual(non-vanos) 185K with full leather. 1990 BMW E34 525I Auto 113k in sterling silver
& 1993 BMW E34 520I SE in dimond black
chasseur View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 12:45
I've had this car 14months now & nothing has gone wrong , this is my 3rd beemer & is the nicest. I think the E34 is very practical , roomy , very quick when its needed & above all  safe, I know that in a accident its one of the strongest cars around.
J7 VNK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 13:10

i've never kept any of my BMW's longer than 6 months, because i get bored!! but the sport is staying until i get another E34 M5

the E46 should go within a few months, although i've been loving driving it, this weekend the sport came out! don't want to sell but could be forced by the right car

1999 528iA Sport Pack,Aspen Silver,17" MTech's.
1994 525i Sport, Avus Blue,SOLD (BMWCC Member)
1999 323i SE E46, Black, man, Sports Leather.
My Cars

"BMW's are for life, not just for Christmas"
oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 18:04

I bought an E34 a couple of months ago and it's allot of car for not much money. Everything is accessible if you feel like playing with stuff. It does drink a bit compared to my previous cars but then again my previous cars have been new and the depreciation on new is a killer.

For some reason I don't get irritated when spending money on it. Obviously I'd rather keep the cash but a car this substantial does deserve it. In 2 or 3 years I might even get classic insurance on it!!

Wife likes it, kids like it and I like it too. I plan to keep it for as long as possible!!

Laura520i View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 18:35

My first post, and my first BMW! Only owned 1 "car" before this one, a ford fiesta that I passed my test in  

520i SE 1990 was the same car my dad had when I was in my early teens, loved the feeling of being dropped off at m8's houses in something so cool also loved the long drives south in the summer from cumbria, dad used to say he'd never seen me sleep so well as I did on the back seats, so smooth n comfy was the ride

So pleased with it and so is my mum. My turn to drive south now, her turn to snooze in comfort

Message to Speedy!!! thank you for the free spare parts! if i ever pass your way...that drink i owe you will be a very large one

Laura520i SE Diamond Black.

kena530 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 03:14
Ive had my e34 530 now for 11 1/2 years and just cant see me selling it i love this car and its all mine , been paid for for a long time, just needs a liitle paint work doing now but runs like a dream with 289k on the clock. I just love it. Had quite a few tweaks done to it now
Kena530
PaulS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
East Anglia BMWCC Regional Chairman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 05:04

Owned my E34 for nearly two weeks and still very impressed with it and will be keeping it for several years - on my 6th BMW now, having the 528i for two years, E28 520i for nearly three years and two 320i's and a 316.

Paul

95 E34 530i V8 Auto Maldives Blue
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2005 at 11:11

I've owned my car for about 2 years now but I expect to change it in the next few months. Mechanically it's sound but body wise it's getting a bit tatty. Little bits of rust are starting to appear all over the place so I want to get shot before it gets really noticable. I could pay to get it sorted but it would end up being practically a full respray and I don't see the point in spending that kind of cash on the car now.

Also my Fiance wants to learn to drive and no one will insure her on a 328! Big Smile

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic