Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended Warranty
    Posted: 31-May-2005 at 10:24

Alanmo

A short point about BMW suspension - the price to be paid for the fine handling and balance of the BMW cars through the years has been that some suspension components are considered consumables.  On e30, e34, e36, etc. the consumables included track rod ends, front ball joints, bushes, top mount bushes on the rear, etc.

As they moved on to the e39 and e46 they made changes that means that the main consumables on these cars are the track control arms (the whole arm has to be changed rather than the end only) and ball joints, front and rear. 

There are a number of reports on these threads of rear ball joints requiring replacement on e39's and around 80k seems to be a typical figure (I replaced one of the rears on my 523i at 77k - the dealer did flag up at the previous service that there was some wear and that a replacement might be necessary at the following service). 

Typically the warranty covers replacement of parts where their lifespan is reduced by manufacturing defect or abnormal or unreasonable wear and tear.  I'm not sure that 82k amounts to unreasonable wear and tear in the case of ball joints.

Also typical wear and tear items are excluded, e.g. shock absorbers, tyres and in many cases clutches. 

You are right to be annoyed at the inconsistent message coming from BMW but the fact that the ball joints are excluded does not seem unreasonable to me.  If the problem occurred at half the mileage then I would consider it somewhat unreasonable.

I would question the value for money of the warranties as the prices seem to have increased significantly recently, unless the car is on the more exotic and complicated end of the range and/or known to have some weak spots (e.g. vanos on an e36 EVO, con-rods on the e46 M3's or oil consumption on the M5).

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sponsored Links

Alanmo View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2005 at 14:42

Hi

I'm new here and looking for advice please.

I have a 540 and recently extended the warrenty to the tune of £970.  At the time it had done 82,000 with an X plate.

I reported problems and it was found to need a replacement rear wheell bearing and the ball joints were worn.  The car has full BMWSH by the way.

I was informed that the bearing was covered by warranty but the ball joints were wear and tear items and hence, not covered.  After my initial complaint they did offer 30% off the cost of parts only, as a goodwill gesture.

I therefore sought to find out just what my grand covered since in theory they could say that any part was failing due to wear and tear and my warranty would be worthless.

They were unable to tell me which parts were subject to the wear and tear clause.  They couldn't tell me what the expected mileage was for ball joints before the wear ant tear kicked it.  They said they made decisions based on age and mileage but couldn't tell me what the guidelines were for any components.  They didn't understand that large numbers of 540 owners might be concerned that 82000 miles is beyond the expected life of ball joints.

Basically I entered a contract for a warranty and paid handsomely for it.  On their side it seems that they can't provide basic information so that I can judge whether they are fullfilling their side.  The local dealer was, by the way, dumdfounded that the ball joints had been excluded.

I have had a number of incredible conversations with BM customer care "executives" and also their warranty section.  Don't have time to relay all but for example :- "The ball joints are rubber and so wear", "The technician would have given a report about how the car was driven and whether it has been worn"!!!!!

Any advice or similar experiences??

Oh, and beware if you have claims in the future the warranty may not be worth much!!

Best wishes

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic