Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNew to BMW game

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to BMW game
    Posted: 01-June-2005 at 04:05

Hi guys,

My name's Ciaran, I'm planning on becoming an E46 320Ci owner in the coming months. Budget's there and ready, insurance quotes have been got, just need to get cracking on advertising my own car providing you lot dont scare me away with anything I should be looking out for in a 320Ci (which i doubt).

My brothers have been driving them for years now, and they've never changed marque's since. I hope I can get the same enjoyment, reliability and satisfaction from one.

Also just 2 weeks ago my friend picked up his 01 M3 (thats another thread, what a piece of engineering/work of art). 

So fire it at me, if you would. What should i be looking out for in one and how much is too much to pay for one privately and from a dealer?

Spec i'm looking for is the SE model, leather and the M-Pack is a must.

Thanks for your help  

Edited by ciars
Sponsored Links

Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 04:13
Firstly,welcome to the forum. The first thing I'd say is don't buy the car over here.Head off to the UK and save yourself a few quid.Much easier to pick up the higher spec models you're after.
If thats not for you and you're gonna buy in Ireland,be prepared to pay through the nose from a dealer.Personally I'd buy private and have a competant mechanic look it over before any money is handed over.

Not really aware of any major issues with the 320ci. try get a fully serviced low miler for peace of mind.
Richie

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 04:21
Main rule is buy as high a spec as you can afford - leather / air con/ sunroof should all be there. UK is the place to get them.
ciars View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 04:49

cheers lads.

heading to the uk is looking more and more the option. im aware of the tasks involved in doin so with VRT and the like. is there anywhere in particular were i will find what im looking for? or is it a case of searching autotrader etc one day and heading over the next?

MOT & HPI checks are most important here, so i presume just walk away if they are lacking. 

Red3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 05:30
1995 316i, 2002 520i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 05:52

Ciaran

There are some reports of the 2.2 engine having a little thirst for oil, but it doesn't seem to be a harbinger of doom if it does use a little.

E46 weak points are the front track control arms, bushes and balljoints front and rear, rear springs (they can snap near the base - they don't need to be abused for this to happen), etc. 

What sort of year are you aiming for?

If buying in the UK, Autotrader is the main source (or the Top Marques version) and yes, its a case of keeping an eye out on a weekly basis and being able to move quickly if the right car comes up.  BMW UK Approved Used car section on www.bmw.co.uk is a good source for better spec'd, lower mileage cars but they won't be cheap.  Ignore any ad that doesn't list the mileage.  You can do an online HPI check at https://www.hpicheck.com/  Its not too cheap so you'll probably want to just use it as a final check on a car that you've already got a good feeling about.  Even if the vendor has already done a HPI check and offers you the paper work, do it again yourself.  Note the servicing dealer on the service book and ring them, the service manager will generally verify the details of the service history for you and may also give additional information about warranty work, other wear and tear items, etc.  Personally I wouldn't buy without a main dealer history.

Sunroof's are relatively rare on e46's in the UK so it'll take a bit longer to find one that matches all your requirements if that is a definite requirement.  Climate control should be standard and most 320ci's will have pdc, auto dim rear view mirror.  Not 100% sure but I think the coupes have elctric seat adjustment as std (at least the earlier ones did).  There wasn't an SE spec in the UK until fairly recently.  The M-tech option isn't common in the UK in the way that it was sold here.  They got a Sport spec that had a bodykit, 18" MV alloys, sports seats, etc.

For resale, colour is fairly important, so stick with the more popular, safer, (metallic) colours such as Titanium silver, Orient blue, black and avoid brilliant red or sienna red, sea green, etc.

The numbers available in the UK are huge so don't feel pressured in to making a rushed decision and don't be afraid to walk away if the car is less that an absolute 100% car.  They'll be more along in a minute.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
owenw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 05:55
Welcome to the forums.

MOT, HPI check and FBMWSH with all the receipts for servicing, inspection I, inspection II and any other work carried out to date. No harm comparing mileage on last receipt to current mileage on the clock to ensure it hasn't been wound back a few thousand miles!

There are huge numbers of these cars sold in the UK and loads of well cared for models with tons of extras, so you can afford to be fairly choosey - as kdevitt said get the best you can afford.

Good luck with the car hunt!

OwenW - E36 318is
ciars View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 11:31
lads thanks a lot for your replies so far, much appreciated to hear it as it is from actual owners.
i dont mind waiting for the right one to come along as ive waited for a 3 series since i started driving nearly 8 years ago now!
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 12:04
The end of the month might bring something nice out of the woodwork here - the dealers are going to be under pressure to get new regs out on the roads by 30th June so they might have taken in some nice stuff against them. Keep an eye out and it might be worthwhile.
Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2005 at 17:56
Try buy from a BMW dealer, if not make sure it has a BMW warranty still on it. What this means is you can renew the warranty before it runs out for a cost. This should be entended every year. Once a BMW warranty is over, you can never get one again.

Having a BMW warranty is a good thing no matter what you might think. I made my mistake by getting mine without. Independent dealer I got it from is a nightmare.

Deerpark Motors, stay away from them. They are great when the try to sell you your car, after that they do not want to hear from you.
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 00:24
Just a quick one, not to get off topic, but if you purcahse a car in the Uk with a BMW warranty is it transferrable to the car when it is re-registered in Ireland ?
E39 530d Touring

ciars View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 04:56
I'd presume it is nn_dd - providing its a manufacturers warranty and not a dealer warranty
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 05:00
Is Bmw Ireland not a subsidiary of BMW Uk now? I think it it so they should honour the wannanty but I'd check with them first before presuming it does.
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 05:05
I'm not sure that it is transferable because BMW seem to operate the UK and Irish business as two seperate organizations (this was very apparent when Mac was having his nikasil problems last year).  You may need to return a car to a BMW UK dealer (e.g. NI) for warranty work.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 05:21

Are we not in the EU?? A manufacturers warranty will cover you no matter where you buy your car or product from within the EU so the UK BMW is valid here

Topazman

Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 05:26

Ciaran I have the 2.2 M54 Coupe and all the current 6 cylinder engines burn a bit of oil and this is normal so no worries on that part I have had mine since new and have had no real problems the last one was with the fuel sender units which gave up working but got them sorted under a good will gesture other than that its a sweet little car. this is the last of the 2litre engines in 6 cylinder form as the next/current gneration are 4 cylinder 2 litres and the sixes don't begin till the 2.5 litre cars 

Topazman

mackeroo1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
IRISH REGION MEMBER ///MACKEROO1

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 06:17

pius niall it has that torch and , auto dim that richie does not have

topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 06:21

Leave him alone John we are going to make him loose his mind

Yeah Richie you don't have them and no screwdriver also

Topazman

ciars View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 06:43
Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

Ciaran I have the 2.2 M54 Coupe and all the current 6 cylinder engines burn a bit of oil and this is normal so no worries on that part I have had mine since new and have had no real problems the last one was with the fuel sender units which gave up working but got them sorted under a good will gesture other than that its a sweet little car. this is the last of the 2litre engines in 6 cylinder form as the next/current gneration are 4 cylinder 2 litres and the sixes don't begin till the 2.5 litre cars 

Topazman

I'm not too worried about it buring a little oil - nature of the beast. I'd rather it burned that than some rings or something :)
I think I can safely say that if I get my E46 soon, there will be no worry of me leaning towards the newer E90! I had a test drive of a couple of 2.2 6 cylinders now, I'm amazed at the differences between the semi-auto sport type box in the 2005 model and the manual in the 2004 model. Manual all the way for me, so thats another must have on my list 

topazman View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2005 at 06:49

Ciars go for the manual and then install a ssk as this makes all the difference

Topazman 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic