Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthe E36 compact nice car- naff car?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 13:51

In response to editfmah:

I do really believe you have to have an extra angle on this! Dont get me wrong but im driving along and in my rear view a bm comes up behind me and i think that looks nice! when they pass and i see the back end my face goes all twisted and contorted when i realise its a compact, i just cant get on with it. Its like other manufacturers meddling, the Audi A3 , the Mercedes compact, they just dont do it! the only small car that does it is the MINI .If you were to put to a poll other BMW owners opinions of the compact you'll be quite surprised. Im a touring man through and through.

Just Touring....
Sponsored Links

editfmah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 14:15

I do hear you and of course it is just your opinion, but I think the compact looks quite good really.  The saloon to me and probably to me alone is quite ugly, it looks proportionally wrong.  Much in the same way that the boot is just a little high to be very attractive on the compact.  But the Coupe and Touring are very stylish indeed.  The touring it replaced was a better looking car, but the compact is just not as ugly as the press it gets.  My main point was about the fiscal side of things, as everyone could argue all day over how the damn things look, over the past few years Ive lost a lot on BMWS, as everyone gets one and they start appearing for Mondeo money the only ones that have kept their head up quite well are the Compacts.  It's odd I know but they are a sound investment, if you like the style.

I will not be buying an E46 compact as they are quite amazingly ugly from any angle bar the side but once again those prices are very strong.

Anyway everyone to their own!

E36 328i Touring + E36 Compact 318Ti
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 15:33

Snapon,

While I agree the compact does not look as good as the saloon or the coupe, I think it looks better than the touring. Not a fan of estates myself. As for the Mini, ok if you live in toy town and your best mates a called Big ears, but other than that no thanks biggrin1

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 15:48

ive never like the compact as said before its a entry level for those who cant afford a real beemer,that may sound abit snobish but i think they made a mistake with this model same as the x3,when i see one i just think its a cheaper version of the X5 and naff.

each to there own tho,im sure there is alot of people that ont like my car but its all to do with personal taste and what you can afford.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 03:22

Mell, you mean to say you don't think the X5 is naff. If BMW made a mistake IMO it was going into the lifestyle 4x4 market. Great for profits poor for image biggrin1

As for the compact being a car for people who can't afford a real BMW, well if ever there was a coment designed to wind up compact owners.........

Do you think the same of the new 1 series?

Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 03:27
Having had the pleasure of driving Rhys's compact last year, I found it to be a really nice drive, very responsive and despite the 'kicked up the rear' looks, its a good all round car and being a hatchback definately comes in very handy. His car carried my old 28" telly, his pooter and a telly stand with room to spare yesterday.

Its a very practical car, very comfy to drive and as said, an all rounder with grunt built in. I found no fault with it at all tbh.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:01
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Mell, you mean to say you don't think the X5 is naff. If BMW made a mistake IMO it was going into the lifestyle 4x4 market. Great for profits poor for image biggrin1

As for the compact being a car for people who can't afford a real BMW, well if ever there was a coment designed to wind up compact owners.........

i love the X5!! i was agreeing with what others said about being the more afordable range of the bmw for those who cant aford a real one lol

hey its just my opinion,doesnt mean im right,as i said each to there own,i just dont like the look of the compact never driven one didnt see the point as i dont like the ar$e ot the car,and the facelift is even worse.

gold do you have a licence?i didnt think you could drive.

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:25

I think BMW entered the SUV market based on the fact that there was no top class performer in this sector and it remains the best in it's class. Don't forget they built the Range Rover aswell which is the another step up in luxury and pretty unbeatable IMO.

As for the compact, being an entry level model meant it was always going to be slated, but it did make the BMW marque more affordable to people who otherwise might not be able to afford a new model. As stated before, i've owned the the E36 version and never regreted a minute. I bought it as it was the cheapest BMW to insure as it was'nt considered a sports model like the coupe. 

5 years on i drive an E36 M3 but i owe it all to the compact putting me on the ladder

I meant to add, the E36 compact was a successful model for BMW as is the X5 but i think they may have got carried away trying to make new niche's in the market like the X3, i mean what is it suppose to rival.....the Freelander? i don't see the point.

Also, the more i see the new models against the old version, the more convinced i am that something special has been lost in design

Edited by Robbie Bradford
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:30
Originally posted by mell mell wrote:

i love the X5!! i was agreeing with what others said about being the more afordable range of the bmw for those who cant aford a real one lol

hey its just my opinion,doesnt mean im right,as i said each to there own,i just dont like the look of the compact never driven one didnt see the point as i dont like the ar$e ot the car,and the facelift is even worse.

Mell, for heavens sake, I was able to drive until a few months ago, as I clearly stated in another thread months ago.

I had been driving since 1981..motorcycles, cars and articulated lorries, oh and drag cars too but you need an FIA licence for that, which til 1989 I had one of those too.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:39

hey its just my opinion

There are two opinions, mine and the wrong one LOL a_smil17

Only joking of course.

On issues of styling it is pointless arguing since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:43
Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

Mell, for heavens sake, I was able to drive until a few months ago, as I clearly stated in another thread months ago.

I had been driving since 1981..motorcycles, cars and articulated lorries, oh and drag cars too but you need an FIA licence for that, which til 1989 I had one of those too.
FOR HEAVENS SAKE calm down lol

i was just askin a question,as i remember you saying that you couldnt drive thro health reason,no need to be so touchy i wondered if you were driving again!!!

mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 06:45

hey its just my opinion

There are two opinions, mine and the wrong one LOL a_smil17

Only joking of course.

On issues of styling it is pointless arguing since beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

very true we cant all be beautiful can we haha j/k

the compact just aint my cup of tea

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 07:20
The compact is a practical car, it isn't meant to be pretty. Very few hatchbacks are pretty, and those that are can often be impractical, such as my old Mk3 Supra Turbo - hatchback but hardly any bootspace due to a full roadwheel instead of a spacesaver and next to no space due to its styling. The BMW compact is perfect for the task it was designed to be, spacious, comfy, safe and multi-purpose.
Nick 45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 09:13

The BMW compact is perfect for the task it was designed to be, spacious, comfy, safe and multi-purpose.

That sounds suspiciously like "You don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire" to me.

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 09:46
Originally posted by Nick 45 Nick 45 wrote:

The BMW compact is perfect for the task it was designed to be, spacious, comfy, safe and multi-purpose.

That sounds suspiciously like "You don't look at the mantlepiece when you're poking the fire" to me.

Apart from the Touring BMW's, on a purely practical slant, the compact is the most practical car in the range. Its still a BMW but has been designed to be an all round car and not just someone's status symbol as so many others in the range tend to be looked upon as.

Its a nice car to drive, cheap to insure and does what you want it to do without being dressy. Looks are not everything, the Ferrari Testarossa is a pretty car but totally crap for the weekly shop in Sainsbury's whereas the compact BMW may not be pleasing to the eye, it most definately carries anything you want to.

At the end of the day is what you want out of a car..practicality and inexpense to insure etc or something that looks pretty but the bootspace of an old Mini. You pays your money and you make your choice, but I definately wouldn't look down on the compact just cos it looks like its been shunted up the rearend.
Nick 45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 09:57

I take your point mate but I know what first attracted me to BMWs was how great I thought they looked - particularly the E30 - when I was growing up.

The Compact struck me as the first car they'd designed that just looked ... wrong. Of course having seen the one series, the Compact now looks relatively handsome ha ha! 

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 10:08
Originally posted by Nick 45 Nick 45 wrote:

I take your point mate but I know what first attracted me to BMWs was how great I thought they looked - particularly the E30 - when I was growing up.

The Compact struck me as the first car they'd designed that just looked ... wrong. Of course having seen the one series, the Compact now looks relatively handsome ha ha!

Never be fooled by the look of the compact, its quite sparky and is also quite popular too. The old saying 'never judge a book by its cover' definately applies.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 10:45
The rear of this one is a bit shorter than most (as is the front)

What about this? Karmann conversion..

V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Nick 45 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 10:54

What the hell is that?!!! It's saying "Renault Megane" to me!

mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 12:15

gadtzzzzzzzzz and theres me thinking they couldnt make it look much worse lol

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic