Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthe E36 compact nice car- naff car?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 17:50

ive never like the compact as said before its a entry level for those who cant afford a real beemer,that may sound abit snobish but i think they made a mistake with this model same as the x3,when i see one i just think its a cheaper version of the X5 and naff.

Touche!!!!

Just Touring....
Sponsored Links

snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 17:54
Boy have we hit a raw nerve here?
Just Touring....
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 18:02
My other half says, if you want an estate - you should buy a Volvo, anything else is just rubbish. People buy BMW estates because they think they look cool, it's an estate - so how can they? People buy estates 'cos they can get 7 dogs in them and the kids...

Do you think she's right?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Goldryder View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 02:43
The compact IS a real BMW, just a more practical, family orientated one that was designed for the people who wanted plenty of space but not an estate. The hatchback is the middle variant, both sporty and able to carry anything and everything with relative ease.

People may think that the hatchback BMW goes against the grain of the marque as a whole but they have definately proved popular, and not just to those wishing to own their first BMW either, they are a damn fine all rounder and its a shame that it gets slated so much.

Granted, I was a bit put off by the shape but once I had driven Rhys's, well tbh when driving the car it feels and handles just like any other BMW, that is extremely well for a car of its class.

Its an impressive little car, perfect for those who want practicality without losing performance. I think Stephenperry will agree on that one, seeing as his car was matched alot of the time by Rhys's compact in Scotland last year...and I can tell you that Stephen was not holding back either...the compact proved to be a very nimble car.
October 2-6 2008 - Houston, Texas - Long Distance Wedding
March 15-April 1 2009 - Transatlantic Cruise
October 10-25 2009 - China, Korea, Taiwan & Japan Cruise
snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 05:25

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

My other half says, if you want an estate - you should buy a Volvo, anything else is just rubbish. People buy BMW estates because they think they look cool, it's an estate - so how can they? People buy estates 'cos they can get 7 dogs in them and the kids...

Hang on have i missed the point again? quote: people buy BMW estates because they look cool? buy a VOLVO? 7 dogs? kids?

The BMW E46 Tourer stands out in a class of its own ,its refined its elegance, it has more of a pedigree than the compact, in fact tell your wife does she know her shopping lights are still on!

Just Touring....
snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 05:28

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

The compact IS a real BMW, just a more practical, family orientated one that was designed for the people who wanted plenty of space but not an estate. The hatchback is the middle variant, both sporty and able to carry anything and everything with relative ease.

People may think that the hatchback BMW goes against the grain of the marque as a whole but they have definately proved popular, and not just to those wishing to own their first BMW either, they are a damn fine all rounder and its a shame that it gets slated so much.

Granted, I was a bit put off by the shape but once I had driven Rhys's, well tbh when driving the car it feels and handles just like any other BMW, that is extremely well for a car of its class.

Its an impressive little car, perfect for those who want practicality without losing performance. I think Stephenperry will agree on that one, seeing as his car was matched alot of the time by Rhys's compact in Scotland last year...and I can tell you that Stephen was not holding back either...the compact proved to be a very nimble car.

Lol, family orientated? if you have half a car how can you say family orientated? why compromise on a tourer for a compact? you been drinking?

Just Touring....
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 05:42
Snapon, Having driven a compact and travelled in the back of the same car, they are surprisingly roomy for a medium sized car.

Family orientated in respect to safety as well as size, kids in the back can't open the door before parents and maybe be run over etc cos there aren't any doors at the back.

Just cos they have the hatchback does not mean they are 'half a car', they have alot of room inside and by saying they are a fraction of a normal car you are obviously thinking of the two seater BMW's, which the compact most definately is not, its a full 5 seater with plenty of legroom..even for a 6 footer like me to be comfy in.

An estate car suits some people, a saloon suits others, the compact is the perfect compromise for those who want saloon comfort and space without the boxed rearend, and who want the extra carrying space given by a hatchback.

The compact is a nice car, well designed for the purpose it was advertised to do. Seems you don't like them, thats fine, to each their own but those who do own them like them for a variety of reasons that may not sit comfortably with you, but you shouldn't knock the car or those who like it just cos you can't stand the car yourself.
Terrier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 09:22

Originally posted by Goldryder Goldryder wrote:

Just cos they have the hatchback does not mean they are 'half a car', they have alot of room inside and by saying they are a fraction of a normal car you are obviously thinking of the two seater BMW's, which the compact most definately is not, its a full 5 seater with plenty of legroom..even for a 6 footer like me to be comfy in.

Don't want to be picky here but the Compact is ony four seats...or at least mine is.

The handling is nimble on these blighters, I'd say a damn sight better than on my old A3 1.8T Sport. Plus the boot swallows more or less everything, I had a collasped bunk bed in the back of mine (although with about two foot of it hanging out the back!)

E36 Compact
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 09:33
Rhys says, The Compact is a 5 seater as there is a lapbelt in the middle of the back seats, which also split and fold flat (something some other models don't do..)
Rhys also says he has had his other half and her family in his, 3 adults in the back with no problem.

(He is here atm)

Just loaded the back with a LOT of boxes, which there is no way you would get in a coup, the difference is that when the seats go back up, and the parcel shelf slots back in - it's anormal car again (that's if there is actually a definition of normal we can all agree on )

Edited by Goldryder
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 14:24

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Yes, IMO she is biggrin1

My Fiance hates estates and says they all look awful. The BMW estate may look a bit nicer than a volvo estate but in terms of practicallity its is miles behind.

Buying a BMW estate is a bit like buying a pair of wellies that are made of silk. Sure they look a lot nicer than good old green ones but they aint water proof so what's the point! a_smil17

All IMO of course.

Edited by Peter Fenwick
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 14:33
Originally posted by snapon snapon wrote:

ive never like the compact as said before its a entry level for those who cant afford a real beemer,that may sound abit snobish but i think they made a mistake with this model same as the x3,when i see one i just think its a cheaper version of the X5 and naff.

Touche!!!!

You could take that argument as far as you like though couldn't you.

If they didn't make the compact you could say the 316 is an entry level for those who can't afford a BMW with a proper engine. If they didn't make a 316 either you could then make the same comment about the 318.

You're right it does sound snobish.Big Smile

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 16:47

nothing wrong in liking the better things in life,if that makes me a snob then so be it lol .

i had a 318 when i was 18 and it was slow sluggish and basic,but i still managed to write it off into a granite wall lol to be honest it was the best place for it.

Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 16:56
Absolutely nothing wrong in wanting the good life and all that goes with it, but some..and before you jump, I don't mean you Mell...seem to think that the smaller and more basic spec and the hatchback BMW's are either half a car or not 'real' BMW's and thus are targetted for really unneccessary unpleasantness.

The BMW marque in general has always had an aire of being out of reach for many years, which is where alot of the bad reputation has come from in respect to drivers being snobby and obnoxious. When the smaller engined cars, including the compact, were produced they were aimed primarily at those people who had wanted a BMW but felt they were out of financial reach. This doesn't mean they are downmarket or substandard cars, it just means the range is within reach for more people. And by being within reach to more people, those same people can gradually work up the range should they wish to..just as you have done Mell.
mell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 17:03
i havnt worked my way up gold ive always had nice cars,it was what i could get insured on at the time,i dont feel you get a proper beemer until you go up in the range same as mercs,you drive a c180 and they are a bag of sh1te,your better off with your money buying a car that doesnt have a exspensive name and get a better drive and more for your money.
Goldryder View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 17:25
The only BMW I owned was the 6, but that doesn't count cos I only drove it to/from garages. I drove Rhys's compact and was pleasantly surprised by the spec level and its performance and comfort.

I started relatively small/basic when I first started out as a driver back in 1981, my last full time car was the Supra Turbo which I loved to bits and have regretted selling every day since I sold it.
Hammer1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 18:00

For my troubles i own a sport compact and if i had a choice i would probably get a coupe but the hatch is perfect for what i need.

BTW bmw estates dont float my boat much or estates in general,never like their looks much but if i had to have one it would have to be one of these beasts http://www.t3.co.uk/reviews/auto/estate/audi_rs_6_avant_plus ?SQ_DESIGN_NAME=print_t3  anything else is a poor alternative to this beast

e36 318ti sport
snapon View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2005 at 06:22
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Mell, you mean to say you don't think the X5 is naff. If BMW made a mistake IMO it was going into the lifestyle 4x4 market. Great for profits poor for image biggrin1

As for the compact being a car for people who can't afford a real BMW, well if ever there was a coment designed to wind up compact owners.........

Do you think the same of the new 1 series?

lmao....
Just Touring....
editfmah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2005 at 13:07
Yeah but a volvo estate doesn't have a world class straight six engine!
E36 328i Touring + E36 Compact 318Ti
editfmah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2005 at 13:13
Oh and exactly how much cheaper was a compact than the saloon, what was that? not at all! I mean my 318Ti when brand new with air con and alloys was more than a 318 saloon.  Better spec, far superior engines than the saloon! 4 pots anyway.  Yeah, the cheap issue doesn't stack up, same as the one series over 30k (source top gear, I think, may be wrong) can be spent in the most obsene configurations and custom paint options.

If I remember rightly the compact was about 15k and the 316 saloon was 15.8k.  But as i said before the compact is worth at least 1k more than the saloon spec for spec now.  Why the higher price, demand.  Someone must also like them.
editfmah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2005 at 13:15

Don't want to be picky here but the Compact is ony four seats...or at least mine is.

The handling is nimble on these blighters, I'd say a damn sight better than on my old A3 1.8T Sport. Plus the boot swallows more or less everything, I had a collasped bunk bed in the back of mine (although with about two foot of it hanging out the back!)

Nope mine definatley has a lapbelt in the middle, and mines an early one.

And your right about the  nibleness, the saloon doesn't have that and the coupes just a firmer bloater.

Edited by editfmah
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic