Forum LockedGot an M5 finally

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got an M5 finally
    Posted: 13-June-2005 at 02:10

2001, 22k miles.  It's a peach.

So, it says the tyre pressure monitor is inactive and the manual reckons I should take it in.  No problem -- it's got a BMW warranty -- but any ideas about fixing it myself?  Can't help thinking it'll be something daft.

What a car though.  I think it's about a million times quicker than the E36 3.2 I had before it.  And that V8 howl, reminds me a bit of a Honda RC45 I used to have.

Somebody told me I'd not regret it and so far they're jolly right.

Andy

Sponsored Links

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 02:27
Originally posted by __Andy__ __Andy__ wrote:

Somebody told me I'd not regret it and so far they're jolly right.

Andy

congrates, you'll just get feed up having to pop into the petrol stations.
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 03:04
M5, M3, RC45 - you certainly have my respect as a man who knows his tools!
'95 328iSE with S50 conversion
'98 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja
andrewc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 03:10
Nice car Andy....Ive been looking at a few M5s and they are a real hoot to drive but in my opinion they are only quicker than a well sorted E36 3.2 in a  straight line...... In the twisty bits the M3 kills them....but with that mighty V8 you might be able to get enough of a lead from the straight to make it not matter
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 04:25

Yes I'm quite sure it's not as nimble as the M3, but actually not too bad either.  Also, I just drove 130 miles from Norfolk to Surrey this morning and it's showing an average of 25mpg.  Mostly 90mph, odd 120 bit, 30 minutes of 50-70 on the M25.

I think that's about the same or even perhaps a little better than the M3 would have done, which surprises me.  Both averages were 22 when I picked up the car.  They tended to 21 on the M3.

No RC45 any more sadly, and soon no 2004 fireblade since I need to replenish the old finances after my new purchase.  And no Tigcraft Rotax supermono racer either...  Anyone interested? :)

Andy

Andy

GMaster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 05:32
 Conrats Andy, great choice, but then I'm biased.......
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 07:32

Hi brother :)

How does Silverstone Blue compare with Le Mans Blue?  Or is yours that bluish silver?

Another question for you:  Where do your water/oil temp guages normally live?  Mine aren't in the vertical plane but both read nearer the blue end than did the M3's.

I believe the last orange light between 6500 and 7000 is supposed to stay illuminated too...

What a car though.  And the servicing costs seem less than the M3 too!  Why would anyone buy an E46 M3? ;)

Andy

GMaster View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 09:32

Andy, Correct : Silverstone Blue is the lightest of the blues available for the E39 M5, the others being LeMans (2000 on), Estoril (2001 on) & Avus (Earlier M5s).

Water gauge normally near the middle/slightly towards the blue side.

Oil gauge seems to be slightly to the left of middle when fully warmed up, topped it up at the weekend,the car has used hardly any since I bought it last November

Orange light is supposed to stay on, correct.

I have the BMW warranty on mine also,very useful & gives great peace of mind

M5 is the only car you ever need.......

Steve

msportman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2005 at 19:17

Andy

Interesting to see you were getting 25mpg

Out of interest I've also been looking at the net recently for second hand examples ranging fron 15k-20k.

Apart from the seemingly high oil consumption what other things should I look for ?

I understand the timing chains are costly at 100k

I assumed from Evo mag that the M5 was a better more balanced drive than a E36 M3 ?

I was going to use mine regularly on track...are they as good as an E36 M3  or are they too heavy.

My present track car is comparable to a E30 M3 ie good chassis and power to weight...it's a good old MK2 16V 2 litre Golf running 200bhp and a diff.

Ian

Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2005 at 19:49
Boy I am getting about 11-12mpg, but I do drive in Dublin city. I did drive down from Holyhead to London to see the Gumball rally and got about 18-19mpg. That might have something to do with the "excessive" speeds I was doing at some strights tho.

Great buy, hope you enjoy it. How wait till you start modding it. Start with a SSK. If you want less roll in conering go for aftermarket struts and get some strut braces that won't brake as well, OEM tend to not last with hard driving.
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 03:15

Just turned another 140 mile / 25mpg journey on the motorway.  cruising at about 100 for ages, occasionally up to 120, then round the M25 averaging about 70/80.

The car is standard, and since I'm not Sterling Moss, I'm not planning to dick around with it at all, seems quite good as it is.

As far as the track potential goes, I've not been out in it yet, but on the road it has more agility than the E36 M3 evo I used to have.  It seems to show the same propensity to understeer though, but with that monster engine that can be turned easily into oversteer (especially with those rubbish continentental tyres).  Traction control is annoying because it seems to want to come on all the time -- even exiting 3rd gear corners at like 70/80mph.  Although in the rain it's a godsend -- I think it saved my rrrrs several times through Friday's monsoons in East Anglia.

I'm certain it'll lap quicker with the same or better cornerspeed combined with different planet acceleration.  Brakes seem strong too but I can't say if they'll fade away after two laps like the M3's did.

As far as oil consumption goes, I've done about 1500 miles in mine and haven't had to add any oil yet, although the dipstick never seems to read the same twice (I'm just going to post another thread on that) -- sometimes almost full, sometimes 25% up from low.  It's a facelift though and I understand there was a piston ring modification to the original.

Andy

msportman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 06:03

Cheers Andy

Are there any other pitfalls with these cars or are they pretty much bullet proof ?

Ian

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-June-2005 at 06:14
Be sure to buy it with BMW warranty and keep renewing it every year. If anything does go wrong, and as it gets older it will at least you are covered.

My DSC controler failed on my a few weeks back and it cost me €1200 to get it diagnosed and replaced.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic