FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedClarksons M5 Test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clarksons M5 Test
    Posted: 13-June-2005 at 10:42
Anyone read clarksons test of the M5 in the times on sunday. It took him until the very last sentence to say something nice about the car. What a langer!
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 10:57
I spotted that Keogh's in Limerick had what was probably the first "used" M5 for sale in Friday's IT.  It didn't indicate if it was one careful owner or one of those that had the kna*kers thrashed off it at Weston!
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Tom Elliott View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 11:31
saw a blue one in cork... didnt get the reg though
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 11:48
Amazing that Tiff Needel found the M5 to be absolutely amazing in every way yet Clarkson can't say a good thing?? How can the car be that different for two car testers??? Clarkson just hates BMW and thats that.
Richie

AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 12:00
Anything British gets thumbs up from Clarkson even a Ford Transit Van . He's also partial to a bit of Italian also, loves Ferrari. He's see's German cars as big mile munchers and lacking style. Where the Ford Transit comes in the style stakes I dont know.
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
97 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon (sold)
Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 19:18
Well Tiff can drive and Clarkson can't. Says a lot. Clarkson now drives a Ford... 

M5 is the untimate Wolf in Sheeps clothing. No one ever know what car in traffic is making all that noise, the M5 just sits there unoticed.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 20:22

Clarkson is an entertainer, he knows sod all about good cars,

for ages he said how much he hated volvo's, old mans car etc. etc. now hes driving an XC90,

He doesnt appreciate german car's because there too good, they're not going to break down and give him something to winge about, but now he has a Ford! problem solved!!  

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Graham G View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 04:19

Couldn't believe it when I was reading the article.  I skipped to the top of each column to see if he had actually got off his soap box and to my amazement I was at the end of the article before he mentioned anything of the car's performance - how could The Times print such rubbish? 

Clarkson is a journalist first and a car critique, well, not at all.
Top Gear lost all their motoring credentials when Tiff and Quentin left.

Shame we were deprived of a review of such a quality car...

Red3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 04:24
Hes about as consistent as clinton morrison, one minute he likes german cars the next he doesn't. He drove a merc sl55 amg for years and he picked the bmw m3 based weismann (think thats what its called) over the TVR tuscan 2 on sundays show.  Hes just a mouthpiece.

Edited by Red3
1995 316i, 2002 520i
AHEALY View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 04:58
I think the best one was the time he did his review of the old Ford GT40. The car was built for small slim racing drivers and not big British Meat Heads. They had to make a bubble in the roof so that his head could fit. THat was worth a laugh in itself. 
Ado
'97 523i & 95 M3
97 Subaru Impreza WRX Sport Wagon (sold)
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 05:27

It strikes me that JC's Sunday Times column is where he actually demonstrates some of his best writing talent - but you can't really judge it as a proper car review.

He uses analogies and humour to set a scene and the less the comment on a car is - the more you know he's either loved it or hated it.

Personally, I enjoy reading the column (and you can read them all online on the Sunday Times website).

On the subject of the M5, well I actually agree with him - except I won't have inserted the final caveat that gave the car the thumbs up.

Having driven one I can only report that the car disappoints - for a BMW.

It is without doubt a peerless out and out straight line animal and it'll destroy 99% of other vehicles with it's back snapping abilities.

However, it's not involving, it doesn't engage you, it feels nothing like the minimum of £63,000 that you'd have spent to own one, it looks no different to a car costing half the price (I accept that is part of its attraction too) and it's interior is frankly appalling.

To really appreciate what you can get for your money I think you have to do yourself the justice of looking at other cars in it's price range.

That includes the Porsche 911 C2S - a car that isn't nearly as quick as the M5 yet I found much more preferable in EVERY respect.

Then you have the forthcoming AM V8 - a car that, if you'd specified all the options on an M5, would again be within reach of it.  However, it's a more desireable car in almost every respect and gives the M5 a serious challenge up until 140-150mph.

It's a marvel of a car without doubt - but it's not a car I could realistically consider as a new purchase.....and wait until the depreciation starts to kick in on them. 

If you've driven a previous M5 I think you'd be very disappointed with the feel of the new M5 - because you'd feel like the car had just driven you somewhere...and not the other way around.

Surely the latter is a large part of what BMW Performance has always been about.....feedback....the ultimate in feedback.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 05:31
I dont think the M5 can be compared to A Porsche or the AM v8. The M5 is an executive saloon which can carry 5 people.Not exactly fair to be comparing it to a two seater sports car now is it.
If I was comparing it with something in it's price range it would be the e55 AMG or somethin like that.

The people who go for this car are obviously after somethin big with huge performance otherwise they'd have a Porsche.
Richie

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 05:45

Richie is right, the M5 is targeted at the E55 AMG, XJR and Audi S4, RS4, and S6 market. All of which have automatic gear boxes, and are not normally aspirated.

M5 is the FASTEST Saloon in the world and that means around a track, no straight-line.

No other car can out handle a M5 without having some passers-by calling you a **** when you drive past.

I am over protective I know...

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 10:38

Originally posted by Kin Mak Kin Mak wrote:

No other car can out handle a M5 without having some passers-by calling you a **** when you drive past.

Are you saying no other car in it's class can out-handle it?

That might be close to the truth, but surely you're not saying no other car regardless?

On the note of the cars that the M5 is up against, well I'm sorry but I disagree.  I have seriously looked at one and the fact it can carry 4 people in comfort means very little to me.

Very very few people invest £60k+ from a practicality point of view - the people who buy these vehicles tend to have at least one other vehicle that they use too.

Furthermore, I know of 3 people that have actually taken delivery of M5's - and not a single one of them looked at the cars you have mentioned above (although one of them does own an RS6+).  The S4 certainly isn't a competitor in any shape or form either.

They all bought it for it's out and out straight line performance and build quality. 

I think the comment on what the car competes against is based on a personal opinion of other buyers rather than the facts.

I can only say what I have found from experience and knowing those that have bought them - so it's a genuine example of fact.

People buying new M5's are car enthusiasts on the whole - practicality is simply a by-product in the purchasing process.  They're looking at 911's, Aston Martin's, and every else in the price bracket.

The fact they can use the BMW as a daily driver is by the by - because you can also use the 911 and the AM as a daily driver without any issue at all.  Okay, so they won't seat 4 people, but that's when you roll the standard saloon car out instead - thats what most of these buyers do.

Practicality really is not a big issue for most M5 purchasers - it's performance, build, pedigree and engineering excellence 80% of the way and nothing more.

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 11:00
Wanting a shockingly quick yet understated car but also needing the comfort & practicality of four doors and a good sized boot was exactly why I went for the M5, so I think it's a case of horses & courses

Edited by Derek M5
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Red3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 11:01
What an individual includes on their shopping list are their direct competitors and not what BMW thought for the m5.

Edited by Red3
1995 316i, 2002 520i
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 11:12
The major factor is the Manual transmission in an M5, that is why there is so much stink now that the new one is not offered in a stick.

Most M5 owners I know say that the fact it is a 5 seater saloon has a lot to do with their decision buying one. If you don't need a 4 door saloon I would agree there are better cars.

If someone can tell me of a better car in it's class, please tell me about it. The only thing I would say comes close is the RS6.

M5 chasing a DTM tuned RS4

Just to let you know the RS4 is producing close to 1000bhp
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 11:46

Yes, I've seen that clip before.

However, I thought we were talking purely about the new M5 here and not the old model.

A standard RS6 will leave an older M5 without too much effort anyway and an RS6+ will leave it even quicker.  The RS6 is simply a far faster vehicle.

However, the new M5 would of course leave an RS6+ in a straight line even with 2 wheel RWD drive as opposed to the Quattro - the RS6+ has a PTW ration of 253bhp per tonne against the new M5's 300bhp per tonne.

All said, well it's individual choice.

I was merely quoting a few facts from those I know that have bought new M5's and that was to point out the competitors for the NEW car aren't what you might think they are because the buyers don't use the same purchasing rationale as someone buying at 2-3 years old or more.  They're power enthusiasts, mainly, who want the very latest in technology and power - and they have a thirst for speed that over-rides a lot of facts that creep into the used purchasing process.

The old M5 can't be described as shockingly quick though, nor can an E46 M3 - but the new M5 can.

However, getting back to my original post, the old M5 offers a vastly superior overall driving experience to the new M5.  Hence, in my opinion, it's a better car (the old M5) to drive and receive feedback in.

I just found the new M5, well, boring.

BM Fan View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 12:38
This is an interesting debate -
Saw the article and have to agree that it was very lacking in any real technical  information but I suppose the last line really sums it up.
"It became a full-on M5. And praise doesn't come higher than that.", then you have his german spiel on the cover "I love this car".

I reckon theres not much point in rehashing everything about a stupendous piece of engineering so he has to find something to fill the pages with hence the waffle which can be entertaining dribble.

As for the competition - I want to read Autocars test - heres a quote from DAM998 on the M forum.
Just had a wee peek at this weeks Autocar - they have a test of the new M5 vs. new Ferrari F430.  M5 wins the test!  Must be VERY good. It's nearly exactly as fast the Ferrari - even 0-150MPH the M5 is only 0.5 seconds slower [& the M5 is nearly half the price of the F430 - if you are prepared to wait 2 years! - though the Ferrari has just a long waiting list]

As for technology - thank god for it, otherwise we'd still be talking about the handling of an ass and cart, wonder how much less feedback the model T had when compared with the horse!?!?!?!?! Actually come to think of it cos we wouldn't have thsi forum let alone BMs to complain about.

Dam, I miss the feel of an ink Quill on parchment!!

Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

SULLY View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 20:43
In Clarksons last dvd he tests a m3csl and has nothing but praise for it.Engine sounds fantastic and has handling second to none.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic