FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede34 rear cigarette lighter fitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e34 rear cigarette lighter fitting
    Posted: 13-June-2005 at 16:45

Can anyone advise which wires I need to hook into to fit a rear cigarette lighter (back of centre console)?

I took out the original blanking plate and found a loose white/translucent connector behind it with 2 round female plugs but looking at the back of the cigarette lighter socket, it has nothing to do with this plug.

The cigarette lighter appears to require two sets of wires. One set goes to the bulb in the cigarette lighter and another set for the lighter itself.

I need to get a torch in there but at the moment all I can see is one set of wrapped cables (feeling slightly sticky as they do) coming out of the top of the transmission tunnel and another loose set (2 brown and two or three thinner ones \- maybe more others). My problem is I don't want to tug on these loose ones and find I've disconnected something else.

Any guidance from anyone would be welcome. I've looked at the wiring diagrams and could not see power distribution for a rear cigarette lighter (only the front one) although I'm no sparky hence I don't know what colours I'm looking for or even if the wiring has been fitted for a rear lighter to start with - I'd be surprised if it had not though.

Nev

Sponsored Links

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 16:52
I don't think the wiring is there unless the car was fitted with the rear cigarette lighter as standard...I couldn't find it in mine...

1991 525i Sport Manual

rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2005 at 18:31

The easy way to go is connect off the front lighter wires and run them up the middle to the rear. you may or may not need the one for the light depending on if the socket in the rear has one.

I usually end up doing this on my E28's as in these days of dvd's mobile phones, cooler boxes etc etc it's handy having a second one in the rear. Hope it helps.

IanT
E28 528, E23 735
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 03:52
I've just won one off EBay for my E34 - Cigarette socket with black surrounding - haven't fitted it yet though.

I won it, then checked for the wires for the fitting, luckily enough they are there! (few!). I'll be fitting it later on tonight and will let you know how I get on.

Current: E34 1996 525tds 113-125k
Previous: 9xE34s, 5xE30s, 2xE39s, 1xE32, 1xE36.... phew!
My Ebay bits: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZseany69ukQQhtZ-1
EZi525 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 03:58
When i changed my interior recently the new centre console had the cigarette lighter at the back, my wires were folded over and tucked under the carpet almost as far forward as the handbrake, doubt i would have found them without removing the centre console rear section.
1990 525i auto,M-Tech body kit, M-Tech suspension, M steering wheel etc ACS engine chip.Cleared front rear and sides, black grill,leather soon.Oz racing alloys 17" x 8" 235.40.17 all round, complete leather recaro interior and soon to fit climate control from a donor 535
oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 09:06

I've got a funny feeling mine are shoved all the way forward towards the handbrake but just slightly trapped by the carpet as EZi525 said. I can pull about 1.5" of slack on the loose wires but as I said I fear pulling too hard in case they're not what I think!!

How easy is it to loosen the centre consol and get 10" feeler gauge type fingers in there for a rummage? I can see two rear bolts where the cig lighter. Does the rest pop off?

cheers all

Nev

e34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 12:21
Mmmm might have to remove the rear part of the center console and see if i can find the plug then....

1991 525i Sport Manual

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2005 at 16:46
Got the Cigarette Lighter fitting today, one slight problem - it came with the wires chopped - about 4 or them.

The connector which is meant to connect to this has 2 wires connected to a female plug?

Anybody know how these connect together? I'll post a few pictures tomorrow to make it a bit clearer.
fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2005 at 11:46
Okay, got some pics - can anyone help, how the hell do you connect this up !!!

oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2005 at 13:48

fingerman, you've got exactly the same situation as me, except I've not got the chopped off wire portions on my cig lighter, still at least it's a clue as to what coloured wires go where.

I also have the same mystery female plug flapping around with no home- no idea what its for. I could not get a reading from the volt meter with the ignition in any position with this mystery plug. Stumped!

Going back to the cig lighter, can you see any matching coloured wires going forward to the handbrake area, ie as though they've been folded that way and trapped by something?

Nev

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2005 at 16:16
Hi Nev,

Sorted!  Put my hand right in to near the handbreak, found a bunch and wires and gave them a good pull - Thinking that I bet my leccy windows don't work anymore!

Anyway, found the wires, 4 connectors, matched them like for like with my cut lead and I now have an extra power outlet in the back of my E34 ! Will definately come in handy .

If you can get to the wires and need to know what goes where then I'll send some more detailed pics.

Only thing is the bulb doesn't work so I'll get that sorted next (as well as my 2 back window bulbs!)

Still don't know what the other 2 pin female connector is for? Anyone?

Oh well, result
oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 14:08

Yes, please . If you've got the pics I'd love to see what goes where and if the wires I can see going forward to my handbrake are the same as yours. Did you have to loosen the centre consel any?

Well Done !!

Nev

fingerman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 15:22
Hopefully these will help, I didn't have to loosen anything, just gave them a good tug!

oddball View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2005 at 13:45

Job done! I think this hot weather made everything slide out a little easier and out popped all the right wires bundles together!

Nev

GaryP View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2005 at 11:04
I have just fitted this myself but there were no wires and had to run a lead from the back of the cigarette lighter at the front. Wasn't a problem though and works fine. Biggest pain was taking the centre console out.

I run a second set through in case I maage to get the lighting unit to go with it. If anyone knows of one going begging hint hint ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic