Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > The Big CoupĆ© Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan’t Explain This II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can’t Explain This II
    Posted: 16-June-2005 at 18:38

After arriving at work last Saturday noticed sometime later after parking car that the fan was going. Took it for short drive but would not stop. Kept going for a couple of hours.

Managed to take it down to Independent who had a look and said that fan needed replacing as it had burnt itself out (Not a common problem on 328's evidently but common on M3's I was told)

This was not good news as had a short break planned to Jersey from Sunday and was taking car. Only solution was to remove the fuse when the car was at rest so it did not flatten the battery and fit it when driving so it did not overheat. The other blow was that the cost of the replacement fan (auxilliary or "pusher" fan - the one in front of the rad that is part of aircon system) would be £256!!! (inc control unit) £320 fitted!!!

Anyway, got to Jersey and followed advice given. Lots of short trips (its a small island with a max 40mph speed limit) I did not remove the fuse everytime (i.e. overnight) and had no problems with the fan at all.

Bit of a dilemna now - I'm thinking about getting a second opinion about the problem. If it is a replacement fan I can't justify £256 for the part alone. Don't think I can get a recon unit unless someone knows better.

PM
Sponsored Links

stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2005 at 18:51

have you tried www.gsfcarparts.com and www.eurocarparts.com ?

failing that, a local breakers yard might be able to sort you out with a replacement

http://www.locallife.co.uk/bristol/carbreakers3.asp

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
paul palmer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 14:02

The cost of £256 dose not suprise me BMW parts are seriously expensive only brought my 328 c few weeks ago excellent car untill things start going wrong so I was told after I brought it. Lets not forget when these cars where new they where mostly brought and owned by rich buggers who could afford to maintain them. Ten or so years down the line maintance for these cars will always be well above your run of the mill makes like Peurgeot and fords

Also I thought that even if the fan is not running in the front of the car the 328 has a constant running fan the engine bay side of the radiator.

I made a bad mistake of not tightening the radiator cap up properly after topping up, cost me £120 for the RAC to come out and release the airlock created in the cooling system youve got to really twist the bugger on tight.

328Coupe View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 18:38
Originally posted by paul palmer paul palmer wrote:

The cost of £256 dose not suprise me BMW parts are seriously expensive only brought my 328 c few weeks ago excellent car untill things start going wrong so I was told after I brought it. Lets not forget when these cars where new they where mostly brought and owned by rich buggers who could afford to maintain them. Ten or so years down the line maintance for these cars will always be well above your run of the mill makes like Peurgeot and fords

Also I thought that even if the fan is not running in the front of the car the 328 has a constant running fan the engine bay side of the radiator.

I made a bad mistake of not tightening the radiator cap up properly after topping up, cost me £120 for the RAC to come out and release the airlock created in the cooling system youve got to really twist the bugger on tight.

I agree that BMW parts can be expensive although I have found some parts surprisingly reasonable. When I got the car I realised that it would not be cheap to maintain if things went wrong - thats the price of having a quality car I suppose. I'm not so much bothered about the cost of the new fan (because I'm sure I can pick up a second hand one) its the intermittent problem caused by it. Its going in to the dealers tomorrow for a full check so hopefully I will get a definitive answer - I will be sitting down when they call and straight on the 'phone to the bank manager after they've finished no doubt

The auxilliary fan works with the aircon and other technical stuff I'm not familiar with lol.

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident with the radiator cap. We live and learn.

The 328 is a gr8 car. Best I have owned so far. Have you any pics? Whats the spec?

PM

PM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic