Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnnual BMWCC Ireland event?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Would members be interested in attending an annual event/show?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
53 [92.98%]
2 [3.51%]
2 [3.51%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Annual BMWCC Ireland event?
    Posted: 21-June-2005 at 08:54

As stated above and having briefly discussed the idea of an annual club event/show, i have decided to open a debate on this issue.

Each member vote once and please post replies as normal.

Your reply should relate to the following issues and it is important that everybody express their views, be they good or bad!

1. Place to hold such an event.

2. Time of year most suitable for the event, obviously early/late summer, month & dates?

3. Would you be willing to attend and/or support such an event?

4. Do you think it's a good or bad idea?

I would like the see an event of this nature organised for club members as the showpiece event on our calender.

My proposal is to use Emo court and the estate grounds to host the event. Emo is a small village just outside Portlaoise 5 mins from the motorway, for those of you not familiar with the area. It would provide a perfect backdrop for all models, both past and present to be displayed.

Aswell as Irish car club members, i would hope to invite members or sections from the UK to display their cars at the event. Ultimately i evisage an event once a year for all BMW enthusiats with trade stands etc. and hopefully backing from BMW Ireland.

So please vote and reply with any comments/concerns or ideas you may have aswell as suggesting something i have probably left out!

Lets make a date next summer for the first annual BMWCC show 2006.

I like the sound of it anyway

Cheers,

Robbie

Edited by Robbie Bradford
Sponsored Links

Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 08:56
Ok i've set the wheels in motion, now lets get a lively debate going please
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 08:59
I think it's a great idea.
Obviously has to be a summer event.
Backing can come from the shops like Otto,GSF,BMW by invite to display and sell.
Portlaoise (EMO) is a fairly central place for everyone and after checking it out on the web it looks like a cool backdrop.
Good on ye Robbie.
Richie

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:01
Cheers Richie, thats the sort of positivity i'm looking for......you have set the bar
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:10
I like the idea, the central location is important and facilities for those less taken with motors.  The key to making it work needs to be a big PR exercise to get the members that don't usually get involved in events or use the forum.  May or early September would be my suggestion of the times when you'd most likely get people.  Might it also be an idea to try and tie it in with or share it as an event with another club?  The last Mondello day with both Porsche and BMW represented made it a bit of a spectacle as well.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:11

Sounds like a good location; nice and central for people to get to. 

August would be the ideal time for me, but it is very close to the likes of Bimmerfest, etc, which would make it difficult for people to either free up several weekends at the same time of year, or decide which event to support.  June seems to have less on, therefore probably making it easier for people to go to, except that a lot of people plan their holidays for June/July.  In September the kiddies go back to school, so some people are under extra pressure.  Would May be too early?

As for attendance, I'd be delighted to go.  Gives members a good chance to put faces and real names to usernames (name tags with username and real name would be essential!!!), and would give people with no imagination (such as myself) and low budgets (ditto) ideas of things they could do with their own cars to make them a bit more personal.

Excellent idea all around.  Good man, Robbie!

Decisions, decisions!!!!!

owenw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:36

Excellent idea Robbie!

Agree with above posts regarding location, sharing the day with the Porsche car club & inviting club members from the UK.

April / May might be the best time - reasonable chance of good weather and getting in ahead of holidays etc.

Getting word out there wil be one of the biggest challanges/expenses.

I'd like to see new / unique models (e.g. new M5, M3 CS) and maybe some of the racing cars (M3 GTR) being displayed if that's possible to arrange. A lot of this would depend on BMW Ireland getting on board I suppose?

Show and shine contest? (so we can justify our massive Megs budgets!!).

In line with Fey's comments about ideas, it'd be great to see some stands displaying or selling aftermarket parts along with some show cars.

OwenW - E36 318is
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:39

The time frame will be between July, August and september as this is the only time in the year we are almost sure of some sun. Granted most people take holidays during this period but i think we'll have competition from other events and activities during this period anyway as kids are off school etc.

I'm not of the view that we would need to share with anyone else as i think alot of people have an interest in cars in general and marques such as BMW in particular without necessarily owning or driving one. The event would advertised as a BMW show or event organised by BMWCC Ireland, but for the general public to enjoy aswell as enthusiasts and members.

Like has been said, the location and PR are the two main factors i feel. In my opinion Emo is perfect and with the right sort of backing would make an excellant location with activities and entertainment for all.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 09:49
Originally posted by owenw owenw wrote:

Excellent idea Robbie!

Agree with above posts regarding location, sharing the day with the Porsche car club & inviting club members from the UK.

April / May might be the best time - reasonable chance of good weather and getting in ahead of holidays etc.

Getting word out there wil be one of the biggest challanges/expenses.

I'd like to see new / unique models (e.g. new M5, M3 CS) and maybe some of the racing cars (M3 GTR) being displayed if that's possible to arrange. A lot of this would depend on BMW Ireland getting on board I suppose?

Show and shine contest? (so we can justify our massive Megs budgets!!).

In line with Fey's comments about ideas, it'd be great to see some stands displaying or selling aftermarket parts along with some show cars.

I too would like to see what you have mentioned, BMW GB might be interested.....maybe. I'm sure some tuners/performance houses would be interested in some exposure in this country and may bring race spec cars etc. Tim Harveys BTCC racer springs to mind. Maybe if i buy a carbon airbox, Moseley Motorsport might bring it over

mackeroo1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
IRISH REGION MEMBER ///MACKEROO1

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 10:12

excellent idea robbie , and i think emo would be perfect .

time of year perhaps june or september away from most peoples holidays

i would def attend as im sure most members would ,also make it a saturday  to give travellers that extra bit of time

Ravenelli69 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 11:04

Suggestion;

Could this be tied in with next years National Country Fair - held three weeks ago in Emo?  There was a classic car show there over the weekend, so I dont see why we couldn't have our own section.  Turn out was huge for the weekend with thousands off people in attendance. 

Great idea Bob!

Geoff

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 11:27
Suppose tying in with the Country fair would be less hassle than trying to organise a seperate event.
Simatic View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Irish Region Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 12:52

Definitely something that with the right organisation could be something special.  Agree that requires input form the not so active BMWCC members and non-forum contributors.

Early June nearly guaranteed good weather to tease the students sitting the state exams.  Any later in the summer will clash with to many holiday arrangements for people.

The Classic Car Club hold an excellent annual event which may be something worth considering tying up with.  Last year they have some other clubs attending (unfortunately this included a small minority of “max’d” motors).

As for support, I’d defo contribute any way I could.

I miss me beemer!
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 14:16

But we already have an Annual Rolling Road day, an Annual Connacht Drive, an Annual Leinster Drive, an Annual Munster Drive, an Annual Spring Track day, an Annual Show and Shine.

Soon we will have hopefully an annual Autumn Track day and an Annual  classic day at Terenure.

My point is we already provide a wide variety of events for members. I don't think making any type of event a figure head event is going to work.

How is that for a comment to get the debate livened up. 

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 14:29

This is all true Gerard. I'm still of the opinion that a "main" event like this would attract a greater number of members as a kind of yearly get together. If circumstances prevented certain members from attending local meets then they could meet up with fellow BMW muckers on a fixed date every year.

I'm well aware that everybody has their own lives to get on with and it's not possible for every member to attend every event. My point is that members from each region will attend the events closer to home and this makes the club a bit fragmented IMO.

In my opinion a showpiece event once a year would attract greater membership and make the club more accessable to the public in general, but then again this is a debate so all input is welcome as this is a proposal for everyones benefit and not just my ego

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 14:47

How many Irish Members are there?

How many Irish Forum users are there?

How many people are in both?

How many people not associated with either are using other forums?

I ask because getting a realistic look at numbers interested would be good.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 15:07

Fey dude, go to the bmwcarclubireland homepage and click on members. This will give you a pretty good idea of numbers in the club.

I'd imagine "most" forum users are members also, but i think there are alot of members who don't use the forum at all.

Edited by Robbie Bradford
Dee* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2005 at 16:31
As a fairly new bmw owner and member, have to say that the get together over in Galway a couple of weeks ago was brilliant fun and a great introduction to the forum! - it's good to be able to put names to faces!!

Think that an annual event's a really good idea Robbie, having one main event that stands apart from the others gives it a bit of critical mass that'll build some momentum and get people talking, even if they do go to the local events during the year.

A weekend in June would probably be a good bet for it - primary schools aren't off yet, so people with kids haven't headed off on their holidays and the weather's (sometimes.....) quite good!

Emo court looks like fantastic location!

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2005 at 02:44

If Eamo can establish the Show and Shine as a midlands event in Tullamore, it would make a good event to be high profile annual event. Since there is no driving element it can be more family friendly (MacDonalds is just down the road from the BMW dealer!)

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Richie View Drop Down

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2005 at 03:22
I don't think the Show and Shine at a dealers in exactly what Robbie is getting at here Ger....I think he's trying to lift the bar a little and have a proper big event.
Richie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic