Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 8 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAre there any 8ers out there?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are there any 8ers out there?
    Posted: 18-May-2003 at 20:52

Interested to know if there are any other 8 owners in this forum

PhilC

1995 840Ci
Sponsored Links

Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2003 at 08:52
Me! But you're right...it is a bit dead in here!
Sniff
850 CSi
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2003 at 08:13

G'Day,  yes there is another 8 owner here!

Ian

94 840Ci

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2003 at 09:25

hello, at least that's three... We'll have to organise a meet in Vladivostock!!!

How do you get on in Aus with your 8? Any Pics? Where is Aus? most of my family emigrated 20+ years ago, now they call me a 'whinging pom'.

1995 840Ci
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2003 at 09:48
Correction.... Where IN Aus?......

1995 840Ci
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2003 at 12:45

G'Day Phil

Great to find a board with another RHD E31 on (and also one where the language is in English :)

I get on pretty well with the E31. If you take the www.e31.net/lieferungen_e.html stats there are about 68,000 humans per E31 in Oz (about 20,000/E31 in UK)  which roughly I reckon equates to about 3 x times more of a wait in getting parts.

I'm lucky enough to do programming for my local independant BMW repair centre here in Melbourne so am able to keep the service costs in check. BMW is the biggest luxury import brand here so plenty of local experience in 540 / 740 engines, power trains etc..just have to be a little more patient in the E31's 'special needs'   :)

Pics (including my recent upgrades) are at:
http://members.roadfly.com/aussie840/aussie840_upgrade.htm

Sniff I saw the photos of your E31 in the other post...very nice. I used to assist in
installing crash test data loggers in Oz - http://www.minidau.com/MINIDAU_System/minidau_system.html - trained at Kayser-Threde GmbH in Wolfratshauser Straße - Munich (used to spend my spare time at Olympic Park BMW muesuem and visiting BMW FIZ (R&D centre) - (been there?)

Look forward to loading the 840Ci onto an Antonov for the meet in Vladivostock.

Ian

P.S. Why don't you emigrate as well? You don't need a criminal record to get in any more you know.

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2003 at 17:03

G'day Ian

Thanks for the wealth of information!! Great site with the overall numbers shipped abroard... The "-1"'s got me. Does that mean sent back??

Now I'm a member of the exclusive 645.16/E  club...

You may be able to get parts quicker from the US. (apart from the obvious RH drive stuff). Try http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e31/ (if you are not already a member) Its a fantastic site full of e31 fanatics. The archives are a great source of info especially if you want to work on the car yourself, or find out about different mods.

Enjoyed your 'before and after' site. Great car. Throwing stars look great. I have the original throwing stars. Take some beating on the 8 in my book. Only 18" Alpinas and maybe M parallels come close :-)

I've had my car since last Sept. Only home for half the time since. (writing this from the Gabonese jungle in Africa). Just love my car. Learnt alot about the car since I bought it and there's lots of mods I want to do to it after reading so much about what other people have done. Not done anything to the car except clean it (alot) and drive it (alot). The car is still under warranty so there's a limit to what I can change at the moment. Says alot for BMW when they will continue their used car warranty past 100K miles. Got the TIS and ETK although I cannot find the ETM anywhere.

Emigrating..... there was a time when I wanted too, after I spent 9 weeks roaming around Aus visiting long lost relatives. Loved the country. Especially Adelaide and Coffs harbour. Loved the VB, Kings Cross, Utes, Barbies, schooners, Ford Fairlaine's, wild wallaby's in the garden, vegimite, ski-ing in the snowies, I could very easily adapt.

Unfortunately, I have many piss poor excuses for living in the UK. Wife's career, kids growing up in this school system etc... Workwise the UK is the best place to be for me if I switch to consulting as all the best paying consultancies are there!! Fancied Woodside in Perth for a 2 year assignment but nothing ever gets advertised and if it did I'd not be the only applicant.

See you in Vladivostock!!

Cheers

Phil

1995 840Ci
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2003 at 00:21

G'Day Phil,

Yeah I guess the -1s must meen sent back or they sent it to the wrong address!  Yeah I have used the roadfly site before, helped me with BMWs stuff up sending wrong t-starts down under.

Its not bad waiting the 2-4 weeks for parts - it really depends how you time with the air freight flights from Germany. When I got the car about a year ago (last car was a 325e) the exhausts were cactus and I had to get some made up in order to pass roadworthty and the get it thing registered.  They sounded terrible, (OK from the outside) but sent the cabin into resonance between 40-70kmh.  So took about a month to get the BMW exhausts from Germany. 

I agree the t-stars & Alpinas look the best. The t-stars obviously the best - there is no way I would put a gravity or pressure cast alloy on this car.  2 tonne at 200 kmh on a pot hole calls for forged wheels!

I was about to get Alpina when the 4th air freight flight after 6 months finally turned up with the correct t-stars. I still can't see what the attraction of chromed wheels is - dipping perfectly good Aluminium / Magnesium wheels into a vat of chrome being a few roos short of a paddock I reckon.  The M Parallels look nice but I would rank them no .3 choice after the other 2.

Crikey! Gabonese jungle of Africa..you do get around! I'm planning to take the E31 for a run in the Northern Terriotory soon - no speed limits in a lot of it - and HUGE lengths of nice sealed roads (very few humans though so must keep an eye on fuel and water...and the big reds)

Well you seem to have Aus down pat...there are sooo many pommies in Perth now its amazing.  Think it might be some subversive plan to take the country back actually.

I see your interior colour seem is same as mine is the exterior schwartz as well? bit hard to tell on this laptop. Aussie specs probably got the same colour schemes as UK anyway since the build compliance laws are so close they probably built those RHDs in same production run.

Seeya Ian

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2003 at 03:47

G'Day Ian

I can see the E31 becoming an obsession. It is a complex car and that for me is the attraction. Trying to figure out why BMW did things the way they did. All those quirky things like the subversive little water tank at the back of the car, I assume is a safety feature as the petrol tank may be part of the crumple zone!!

I did notice your pics were off Roadfly. Were you a member of Club E31? A really excellent forum thats dead now. RIP. I'd just joined it just before it went tits up. Alot of knowledge and some good opportunities for big European meets.

2-4 weeks delivery. That's excellent considering.

Forgings.... never really thought much about it but since it does end up with the best mechanical properties it makes sense. As you say 2 tonnes at 200km/hr, and I imagine there are castings masquarading as copies of forged wheels out there. I've no experience with scrapping an alloy but I can imagine that castings can be subject to brittle failure with shock loading. Forgings are tougher and can withstand shock loads without brittle fracture.

I have some experience with driving in Aus and you guys have serious pot holes. I rember taking a 4WD van into the Flinders Ranges and it was safer driving on the plain than the road!!! Also, I was daft enough to think I could get some sleep on the Greyhound from Sydney to Coffs. 18 hours of potholes. Still I saw the cane fields alight and wouldn't have missed that for anything.

Agree on the Chrome. Can spoil a good looking car. Only had it once. I bought a new Ford Explorer when I was living in Muscat. It had chromed wheels and they got dusty after every trip down the road. Got sick of cleaning them.

I do travel alot with my work. Just about to finish in Africa. Ready for a move after 2 years. Back off to the desert in the Middle East, Syria. Good work good package and I can play golf in the desert. Lose too many balls in the jungle!!

Northern Territories - Is that where the Kakadoo National Park is? Fantastic. I can imagine some long straight tarmac roads. Hopefully flat. Big reds I assume roos the size of camels.

Poms have been making great in-roads into Perth and Adelaide. LOL. My family have managed to breed out the pom. Makes me laugh all the bullsh*t about the Queen in Aus. I can imagine most Australians don't give a toss, most Brits don't.

Looks like the interior colour is exactly the same. Can't remember the exact BMW name for it. It was all too grey for me so I have some custom car mats made with dark green bordered with grey leather (exterior is Oxford Green). Aluminium heel plate. The BMW plastic studs and little plastic roundel all fitted easily enough and it looks great. Green piping on the leather trims of the seats would look great too. Another one for the wish list.

The specs must be the same. Not sure about emmisions stuff but I doubt that there's much you can do about changing anything on the E31. I'm sure the cats are standard. The E31 is full of mysteries. I had a persistant oil leak, small but irritating enough to have it in the shop three times. Only on the 3rd attempt did they find it. There was a loose grub screw in the engine block which could only be accessed through the front engine mounting plate. None of it was on the TIS/EPC and my dealer had no idea other than it looked like a sensor port that may be used for something in the states. Pressure, temp??

Cheers

Phil

1995 840Ci
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2003 at 23:39

The E31 is a dead set legend mate, it makes a 3 series look like a dinky toy. No offence to the E30/36/46 ers out there...I use drive to one too.  Maybe that water tank is the washer bottle for the front head lights?  The thing I like about the E31 from a crash test point of view is the distance between the driver and the outside doors skins and the huge amount of structural reinforcing between..its a tank.  Even with a massive T bone you'd have to be pretty unlucky to break the side window with your head unlike other cars where the side windows are much closer.

I must try and organise an Aussie meet one day.  Maybe in Alice Springs thats central. 18 of hours potholes, hey ....well you really have experience Oz then!  yeah Kakadu is in NT (its where all the tourist get eaten by crocs...we really should do soomething about that...oh well)  Yes re Big Red....they can almost hop as fast as an E31 in 4th.   Well I can't complain too much about the BS / Queen thing...after all she did give us a public holiday this monday gone (I know its not her real birthday...but we just have it then so we get a long weekend).  Say G'day to Liz if you see her around..perhaps she'd like a drive in the E31?

Think the interior is called Silver Gray / Mine doesn't have mats and the BMW ones are AUS $380! (RHD drives ones are about US$100...unfair !) I reckon I might do you what you did and get some customs made up. I think that grub screw issue was actually documented in a recall for the M60/M62 block somewhere ? I vaguely remember reading about it.

Seeya Ian

Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2003 at 11:17

Good news! According to Phillipe (posting on roadfly) the www.clube31.com site will be back up and running soon!

Ian, yes been to the museum, but not yet done the factory tour...I must organise it soon.

Sniff
850 CSi
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2003 at 18:29

Sniff, great news about Clube31... With that and Roadfly going can't imagine I'm going to do much work anymore!!!

Ian, I got my mats from the following website  www.autostyle.co.uk

I'm very pleased with them. Not a perfect representation of BM mats but good enough. Once I get off my arse and buy a digital camera I'll show 'em off. On the grub screw issue... interesting... I'll look for the recall. Thanks

1995 840Ci
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2003 at 01:27

G'Day Phil / Sniff,

Great news about clube31. Phil do you have a contact at AutoStyle? How much did you pay - one of our suppliers at work is in Groby, Leicester so I could get them to ship them down under for me. Did they put any logos on them?

Also curious, how much are you paying for a litre of fuel at the moment? I'm paying AUS$0.85 / litre for 98RON grade.  (35 pence / litre or 0.50 euro /litre)

Seeya Ian

Sniff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2003 at 10:51
Here in Germany it's about 1.08-1.11 for a litre of 95 RON unleaded. Not sure about 98 RON as I don't use it, but I would guess a few cents more, so around 1.15/litre. So that makes your 0.50/litre incredibly cheap!!! As I'm currently getting around 18l/100km it's no wonder I only drive the 8 at weekends!
Sniff
850 CSi
PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2003 at 16:19

With my schedule its different every time I get home. Feel like a virtual Brit. Here's a link with the reasonably upto date  info. http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/fuel/ 

Sure I paid less when I was home last. Notice that there's slightly more tax on the 95 RON than the 98 RON. In the Middle East petrol was cheaper than water!!!! Never had to use notes only small change. They don't have unleaded either. I just use 95 RON in mine. Either of you guys use 98 RON? Do you notice a difference apart from a sudden loss of weight?

Ian, I ordered my mats over the web. Came two weeks later. They do not put the BMW roundal on as I guess it would infringe on BM copyright.(look great if they did). You can have 'V12' or '8 Series" in limited configurations. I did not bother. I had the aluminium heel plate. The plastic grommets from the original mats are easy to transfer to the new ones. Have to make the holes yourself. The little plastic BMW roundal on the original drivers mat fits much the same way. They look great. Not a perfect fit in the back but hardly noticable. Fit OK in the front. I paid +- 94 GBP including postage. Didn't even try BM. I'm sure it would have been double that and more with a choice of grey or dark grey!!!

1995 840Ci
aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2003 at 10:00

Wow! I will never complain about the cost of petrol again. I can't believe how much it has gone up in Europe since I was last there.  Add on top of that the London congestion tax, no wonder small 4's are so popular....and why so many pommies are living in Perth.

We have basically two refinieries in Australia Shell and Esso.  On the east coast of Australia I generally buy Shell fuel. The standard unleaded in about 91 - and the premium grade is 98RON known as Optimax http://www.shell.com.au/optimax/

As far as I'm aware the Euro & Aussie E31s M60/M62s were spec'ed to minimum 95RON (there are stickers plastered all over mine not to use lower RON).  I do notice improved fuel consumption running the optimax.

The other refinery's premium is about 95RON, but the Optimax's higher density equates to better fuel consumption. In fact the local aftermarket chip maker (www.powerchip.com.au) have chips just for the local 98RON - I use to have one on my old E30.  I'll get around to putting one in the E31.

It must be depressing running the nikasil M60's in the states with their low RON high sulphur fuel waiting for the sulphur to eat the cylinder lining.

Seeya Ian

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-June-2003 at 17:25

Our petrol prices are obscene. They are trying to price the motorist off the road when there are no viable alternatives to getting to work for most people. Its crap. Congestion charging will spread I guess.

Never tried optimax. Should give it a try. I'm surrounded by Shell stations. I'll give it a go this time home. Printed out the PDS. Sounds like Unleaded spiced with 'redex'.

On the Nikasil issue we had serious problems in the UK. My car had both engine blocks changed out to Alusil after only 26K miles!! Buying an older 840 or any of the affected engines is tricky business here. Wonder how many people have been caught out? I rang the dealer who originally sold the car last year to confirm the details.

Cheers

Phil

1995 840Ci
Beammer View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2003 at 14:57

I've owned a 1993 850Ci for six months now and gradually getting everything working as it was designed to do. (I'm a bit of a perfectionist I suppose but I used to work on aircraft so things have to be right for me). Am contemplating changing out the aircon condenser and associated bits and pieces at the front end - anyone managed to remove the condenser from their E31 and if so, how's it done???

RobinS View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2003 at 09:31

Hi everyone.  I have just concluded a deal to buy my first 850, up here in Scotland.  It is a near one owner car, actually still advertised on this site,, but sold 9 months ago for the first time.  It is a stunning red with black leather, immaculate, 1990 model.  It has  a huge mileage but full BMW hsitory, and all bills.  It even has the supplying dealers sticker on the rear screen.  It will be a second car as I run a 2000 523 sport.

I am a little scred about the repair buills I should expect and will be looking for advice in due course.

Glad to see such enthusiasm for these apparently unloved supercars.

PhilC View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2003 at 10:27

Welcome Robin

Post some pics when you get chance.

Cheers

PhilC

1995 840Ci
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic