FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow to measure the oil level on an E39 M5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to measure the oil level on an E39 M5
    Posted: 27-June-2005 at 03:19

According to the label on the dipstick, I should run the engine for 15 seconds, wait 1 minute then dip the oil.

Fair enough but:

1. When cold (started+left 1min), I get a reading 25% up from low

2. When hot (started+left 1min), I get a reading 25% down from full.

3. When left overnight and just checked without starting the engine, I get exactly full.

Now I could add 750cc of oil to make test 1 read "full" but then the other two tests would be overfilled. 

What's the experience/advice?

Andy

Sponsored Links

__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 08:26

So what's the message I'm getting here?  Either I'm the only person on the board with an E39 M5, the only one who checks his/her oil or nobody likes me :)

Andy

SeeSure View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 13:34

I've used option number 1 to test the oil level, but like you get variable readings using the other options.

So mostly I wait for the bong and the display to tell me to check oil level.....

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 13:56
No Andy you're not alone

I too wait for the bong and then check it unless I'm going for long journeys.

I was always led to believe that you check oil levels on a cold engine, on a cold engine the oil has settled.

If you start the engine and let it run then the oil has started to circulate in the engine which means you won't get a true reading.
On a hot engine the oil will have been circulating which will also result in a false reading.

I may be wrong but my methods haven't failed me yet(touch wood)

stevie
///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrą mai tedesco di nuovo haha
__Andy__ View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 02:07

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should wait for the gong then.  Although it's a bit of a leap of faith...  Plus all my journeys are long!

Do you guys still have the little plastic printed label attached to the finger hole in the top of the dipstick?  That's where I read the "Idle engine for 15 seconds, leave for 1 minute" advice.  I totally agree that this leaves oil in other parts of the engine than the sump, but I guess the dipstick must be calibrated for that method.

Also, like you say when it's hot more oil will drain back to the sump during the minute so the reading will be higher.  The label doesn't say hot or cold, so the "1 minute" bit seems rather unscientific.

I guess the good news is that after a couple of thousand miles the levels don't seem to be going down much.

Andy

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 03:27

I'm not fortunate enough to have an M5 but from what I know of the car, these strange procedures will be due to the fact that it has a much more complex oil system than most other road car engines.

Most cars have one pump, in the sump.  We are used to just letting the oil settle into the sump, and checking the oil with the dip.

The M5 has four (I think) extra scavenge pumps located around the engine to ensure that when revs and G forces are high, the oil that doesn't return to the sump is caught and pressure maintained.  My guess is that the instruction to let the engine idle is to ensure that these pumps are full, and thus the dip is true.  That's the theory, how it works in practice (i.e. to check when warm or cold) is beyond me.

I would suggest checking on a warm engine, on the flat, and having let it idle for 1 minute, but surely someone with more specific knowledge than me must be able to clarify the warm/cold dilema?

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
SeeSure View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 04:35

No tag on my dipstick !!!

The owners manual (page 143) states :

1 Position the car on a flat level surface

2 If the engine is at its regular operating temperature, allow it to idle for 15 seconds, then switch off

3 Wait about 1 minute, then take out the dipstick and wipe it with a non-fluffy cloth or similar

4 Carefully push the dipstick fully it to its tube, then pull it out again

5 The oil level must be between the two mark on the dipstick

It also says that the quantity of oil between the two marks is approx 1 litre. So I work on the premise that when the bong goes it must be near the lower mark and then I chuck in a bottle of TWS. Like you most of my journeys are long, in excess of 90 miles each way. So I always have a spare bottle in the boot.

The handbook also says :

Do not add more oil until the level has dropped almost as far as the lower distick mark.

So again the bong principle is a good as any other I'd guess as I normally get about 3k miles between bongs.

Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2005 at 06:56
Originally posted by __Andy__ __Andy__ wrote:

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should wait for the gong then.  Although it's a bit of a leap of faith...  Plus all my journeys are long!

I don't have an M5!

On my 330i the oil level warning does not come on until the level on the dipstick is well below the lower mark. Not the best way to find out!

I would suggest that checking the dipstick is a safer method.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 20:30
On my M5 the warning light comes on first(since last top up) after a long sprited drive. The engine will be espically warn then and the oil reading will be at it's lowest. Next time I use the car from cold and drive normally the warning light does not come on at all.

Depending on your car it might be different. But if I check my dipstick at the first warning light(since last top up) after it's cooled down it would be only halfway down the dipstick. So if I put a litre of oil in I would have 0.5l too much in it.

Always check the level before putting in oil. Don't assume the level.

I do burn about 1 litre every 500miles. Loads of city driving and I have a very heavy right foot. Also I do between 9-11mpg.
I_MNL View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2005 at 18:16

I have a humble E36 316i '98, but this is what I do and never let me down:

After the car has its oil change (service or inspection), I know that the oil tank is full with about 4lts. So the following day in the morning, when the engine is cold and of course on a flat surface, I check the oil dipstick and I see where the oil level is.

Whenever I check it again, I'll do it under similar conditions, that is:

- cold engine

- morning

- flat surface

And I compare the two readings (by eye!), so I know if there is a problem

In my car, the difference between the maximum and minimum level lines is 1-1.5 lts of oil; so if the level ever goes to the minimum level line or below (happened only once!), I add at least 1 ltr, until the next service visit...

Hope I helped

Citizen of the Earth

Explorer of Life

Marie-Noƫlle or nick name MNL. NOT Marie or Noƫlle ALONE!

Alpina D3 2007
E36 316 1998
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2005 at 08:04
I have heard that waiting for the oil light to come on before topping up is not very good for the engine, especially on a car like the M5 where it is highly tuned.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic