Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhave a tube needs a home

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: have a tube needs a home
    Posted: 01-July-2005 at 07:34

Hi I have a e30 316 carb 1988 (peirburg) there is a tube with what appears to be an inline filter in it (about the size of a 50p piece). It runs from the top of the electronic throttle posistioner (big ****** white thing) through it and another tube runs to the bottom of the carb vacum. Is the end with the filter mean't to go some where. The open end has what appears to be a hard plastic tube slash cut and looks like the end of a doctors needle. Have looked in my haynes manual. waste of time can any one help.

is this connected to my idle problems and the fact that my MPG gauge does not work?

Edited by Rhys
Sponsored Links

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 09:31

potenially idle problems, yes.

you'll get idle problems if your mixures are shot - usually down to air leaks. if you block the end off is your idle any better? (bear in mind the mixture may have been altered to pass emissions and compensate for the leak)

I can't tell you exactly where this pipe goes, but the MPG meter works on the intake vacuum.

From my previous dealings with pierburgs they are a nightmare with vac pipes and valves everywhere so lots to go wrong. They also don't have reliability over 8 years / 100k miles so if you can do a weber conversion (direct replacement or twin 40's if you are hardcore!).

Hope this is of some help, my experiences are with VW pierburgs not BMW. Can you give a model code for the carb (probably 2E2 or 2E3)?

stakker916 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2005 at 18:04

Hi

I have taken the clocks out from behind the steering wheel.  There is nothing there to connect the spare tube to.  If the MPG gauge reads via a vacum feed I would like to know where it is located.

I have diconnected the tubing from the timing valve(the one bolted to the bulk head) and rigged the dissy up with a direct vacum feed for the advance and retard.  she idle fine now quite smooth infact.  However when I start the car it revs to 2,500 - 3,00 rpms for a few seconds.

I have also found out why my manual is crap, it only goes to 1983. feel a bit of a plank.  Does any one hav a workshop manual on cd rom.  let me know!!

thanks guys

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic