FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked635 interior electrics problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 635 interior electrics problems
    Posted: 07-July-2005 at 04:54

I have a 1985 635 auto which I have just started to use again after about 7 years. It runs great, and it started first turn once the fuel came through.

I have a series of electrical faults, but no mechanical ones (the old story!)

1. All of the dashboard dials are dead(except fuel and temp which are independantly controlled I gather).

2. My trip computer, although the display works, the fuel consump data etc etc other stuff is dead - it just constantly displays 5.9MPG.

3. The fan is dead, although when I turn it as far as it can go it still clicks and the revs drop, so it is still drawing current.

4. Cruise control doesnt work.

Can anyone tell me how many of these items are inter connected. I know there are 2 rechargable batteries on the instrument cluster board which I gather have gone - so will the cruise and trip computer start to work when these instrument cluster batteries are replaced?

I would appreciate any help I can get on this - as I am currently using the Sat Nav from my other car as a speedo!!! Thanks to anyone who gives help. Of course, part of the fun of having a 6 is keeping it in top shape, as it evaporates all the cash in your wallet!

Ben

PS: I cant remember back 7 years ago - but compared the the Mazda 323 I have been driving, the 635 seems to idle slightly lumpy, and the exhaust gas smells a bit (but not excessively so) rich even after a run - is this normal?

Edited by phb10186
Sponsored Links

siscobmw View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2005 at 06:22
Originally posted by phb10186 phb10186 wrote:

1. All of the dashboard dials are dead(except fuel and temp which are independantly controlled I gather).

2. My trip computer, although the display works, the fuel consump data etc etc other stuff is dead - it just constantly displays 5.9MPG.

3. The fan is dead, although when I turn it as far as it can go it still clicks and the revs drop, so it is still drawing current.

4. Cruise control doesnt work.

PS: I cant remember back 7 years ago - but compared the the Mazda 323 I have been driving, the 635 seems to idle slightly lumpy, and the exhaust gas smells a bit (but not excessively so) rich even after a run - is this normal?

Number 1: Your Service intervall board is gone :if batteries inside leaked acid in the board You'd better buying a reconditoned one or a brand new board from BMW.Removing the instrument cluster is a bit of fuss ...Go to www.totalbmwmag.com  or .co.uk , in the downloads link you will find everything You need for a DIY job). Check carefully for every soldered joints inside the instrument cluster, as vibrations and age can damage them....

Number 2 : this fault is related to faulty instrument cluster or Speed sensor ion the rear of the diff....The OBC  feels that Your pulling the right foot on the accelerator , but it feels also that speed is 0. So fuel consumpiton is "poor"...

Number 3 : I think you sayid the heater fan. The problem is the resistor inside the dash console....a good used one is the cheapest solution. Maybe I'm wrong but E30 3 series  fan resistance are the same.

Number 4 :Cruise control doesn't work cause its brain takes speed imput  from instrument cluster: instrument cluster dead= cruise control dead , too.

About P.S. : M30 engines are prone to have bad idle: adjust valve clearance, check air leaks on intake manifolds, clean idle air valve, check every intake pipes, then you should change cooling system temperature sensor( gas smell)...Then distributor cap and rotor at last. If all this stuff can't cure the idle , change Idle control valve(if it's a post 1984 car) and check again for air leaks.....

Hope this helps.

Francesco from North italy

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic