Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTop Gear Tonight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 19:30
they always been held in high regard for their diesel engines too, at least as far back as the e34 525td and intercooled tds, top gear circa 1993 raved about it at the time
Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 03:28

I watched the re-run last night as I missed the technical bits about the turbo on Sunday night and got abuse from the Mrs for ignoring her last night while trying to watch the bit I missed.She was talking about moving house...........

I had thought about buying a diesel 5 Series next for the 'mpg' but reading a post further up in this thread reminded me of the same article I had read about taking 35k miles to get your moneys worth. Hmm.  I like the idea of having it badged as a 3.5 litre gives you a bit more respect on the road as folk who are unaware will think it is a 3.5 litre or is that just because I want a bigger engined car than my 'bit out of puff' 523i?

What about buying a second hand diesel 5 series?  Would you need to run it for 35k miles before you got your money back?  Are they more expensive to service?  They will be harder on the drive train and rear tyres with the lorry load of torque they chuff out.

I think my next choice will boil down to manual or auto. Oh yeas and maybe Blue or Silver!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 03:59
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

.......and got abuse from the Mrs for ignoring her last night while trying to watch the bit I missed.

Glad to here I'm not the only one who gets it in the neck for that. Why the flipping heck do they always wait until there is something on the TV! bigcry

From my recollection they chose a Suzuki Liana because it was the only car any one would give them.

Personally I would like to try a new Turbo Diesel. I have been in the 'tractor engine' camp for a while but I would like to actually find out for myself if they are any good. As for the benefits of MPG, well since they hold their value much better than petrol engined cars you will only get your money back when you sell it on again as far as I can see, unless you do mega miles or keep it for years.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic