FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 M3 diagnostic light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 M3 diagnostic light
    Posted: 27-July-2005 at 05:23
Can anybody point me in the right direction please!! I have the small light indicating "emission deterioration" (the small one that looks like the outline of an engine) illuminated on my dash. BMW have been no help at all!!! Has anyone else had this light illuminated before, and if so what was it?? I am pulling my hair out here folk!! Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links

Glenn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2005 at 07:44

Hi. I've just posted a similar message to yours on another board.

For the last month the same engine emmisions warning light has come on and gone off again more times than my brake lights! At no point has the car suffered any loss of performance or seem to have suffered any detrimental effects at all. Nor have I had any of the poor running and "recovery mode" problems some other people have had.

Took the car in to the dealers a few weeks back but they couldn't find anything wrong. Since then it came on and off again a couple of times and I did have it booked in for this Friday but it has now gone off again.

Has yours stayed on all the time or is it like mine?

I've heard that it can be caused by a faulty Air flow meter or fuel senders. It does seem to be a fairly common problem as far as I can tell.

So what to do?  Well, I am probably going to wait until my light comes on again and then get it booked into the dealers to take another look. If yours is on I'd suggest you do the same then they can hook the car up to the computer and hopefully get a fault code so they can see what is causing it. Howver in my case, they couldn't find a fault !?!? Hopefully you will have more luck.

Let me know how you get on.
If I get anywhere I'll post back here too.
The Fastest View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2005 at 13:40
I've just found out my car has a faulty lambda probe. An independant garage told me it would definately be either that or an air flow meter. Checked the values on the diagnostic machine and it showed a gubbed probe on the pipe that comes from cylinders 4-6 and after the cat. Gonna change it at the weekend and hopefully all will be well!!! BMW had the car twice with the light on and they asked if I had ran out of fuel!!! As usual!!! They couldn't find anything wrong and apparently it's quite common!!! Dealers seem to be a waste of money!!
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-July-2005 at 19:06
Unless the computer can diagnose the problem you're wasting you're time with main dealers. A good indy is worth his wait in gold, especially when they can pin point a problem over the phone! as has been my experience.
Glenn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2005 at 04:15

Hmmmm....kinda makes me wonder if it is worth renewing the warrenty when it expires

Originally posted by Robbie Bradford Robbie Bradford wrote:

Unless the computer can diagnose the problem you're wasting you're time with main dealers. A good indy is worth his wait in gold, especially when they can pin point a problem over the phone! as has been my experience.

M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2005 at 06:22
its worth a thought, but I suppose the way to look at it is, could you afford the bill if something major went bang?
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-July-2005 at 10:27
Like conrod bearing shells ? Or have they fixed all that ?
E39 530d Touring

CLAPPY View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2005 at 20:15
I was just about to post a message regarding the exact same problem experienced on my E46 M3 convertible. My light illuminated a few days ago and remains on. Otherwise, the car is performing perfectly.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic