Forum Lockede23/e28 free parts trim & seats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
E23 the forgotten 80s BMW

Direct Link To This Post Topic: e23/e28 free parts trim & seats
    Posted: 09-August-2005 at 09:20

I have to de-clutter my hoard of BMW 5 & 7 series parts.

Items are free to members who can collect from Essex.

E28 front & rear seats in grey pinstripe velour. front seats have folding armrests. front seats will also fit e23.

E23 blue velour front & rear seats. front seats have folding armrests. front seats will also fit e28.

could be useful to members who are having their leather trim repaired and need a slave set of seats.

various centre consoles E28 & E23 & E32.

other odds & sods.

its all gotta go to the tip if no takers.

Philip
'86 E23 735iA SE - Polaris - The Silver Surfer
'85 E23 735iA SE - Cosmos Blue - VJ
'86 E28 528iA SE - Dia Black - Helga
'86 E23 728iA SE - Polaris - The CHAV mobile
Sponsored Links

HoopyFrood24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2005 at 15:37

Hi Philip - I have just aquired a 1979 733i and found three of the central locking solenoids have gone - You dont have any do you ?? (and a fuel tank!!!)

Thanks

Mark

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2005 at 16:16

Blimy an e23 older than mine and much old at that, Have you seen if thay are free as mine the links were all stiff but moters were working just could not move the links. What's it like and post up some pic's soon.

Good to see another mk1 e23 on he hear and wecome.

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
HoopyFrood24 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2005 at 18:20

Thanks for the reply - I have removed the solenoids and the three passanger door units are all over heated. The case has become brittle and cannot be opened without cracking. I am not too worried about the back doors but the front passenger door is a real pain as I keep forgeting that it does not open and leave my wife standing on the pavement. Opps !!!!

As for the rest of the car its a bit of an oddity. I bought it in June (ebay) and it had only done 44.5k (two owners) with documentation to back it up. The body work is good and unmolested, the interior is immaculate. The only real faults I can find are the fuel tank leaks when full, the central locking and the aircon is cold but not as cold as it should be. 

Its a bit thirsty and having to add lead/octane additive is a bit of a pain but so far I have already covered its previous annual milage in two months and its running fine.

I confess I am not really a BMW fan (I had an early 320 back in 1986'ish) but became disilliosioned with the newer models with their service indicator lamps etc.

I was looking for an old S class Merc when I came across this "Old Girl" and put a bid in blind not expecting to win. I was gobsmacked when I checked and found I had won (then I had to tell the wife).

Now I must confess I am really enjoying using her every day and I think she enjoys being used more reguarly. There is a bit of a pull on the steering but I am putting that down to tyres and I will be changing the fronts in the next week or so as the walls have slight cracking.

The original idea was to buy somthing big to carry the mother in law (the other car is a two seater and it ruins my image to take her out in that !!!) and run it into the ground, but she's too good for that (the car not the mother in law) so I am intending to try and keep her in the manner to which she should be acustomed (the car NOT the mother in law!) 

Any advice would be apprceiated, espically regarding petrol additaves, I tried a couple and cannot see any difference in running but I have no idea about long term effects.

I will try and post some pictures over the next few days.

Regards

Hoopyfrood24 (aka Mark)

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2005 at 18:30

lol,

Are you running on the old metric tyers as they will be very pricey. I may have some door locks soon if philip has non. I have put an inline ocktain boster in so I can run on unledded ok. Your air con probley needs re-gassing.

Glad you like the old BM there very rear now and at that age you may have the onley 79 year in the uk today, more so than people think,

Heas a pic off my old beast.

Edited by bmw1066
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 04:04

Wow!!!

a 733i in nice cond. they are so rare now.

Would love to see pics or maybe you can find the link to the ebay advert. I can't remember seeing it on ebay.

Re solenoids you need to establish whether the part # for a 733i is the same as for the later cars. I have some doors which might still have solenoids in them, but they are from a much later car.

you will find the on-line parts catalogue very useful:

http://www.bmwtoolkit.com

Philip
Tetleysmooth View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 08:09
Philip, I don't need the seats, but I'd love the armrests, don't suppose you'd consider splitting would you? What other parts do you have for disposal? ( e28 ). I'm off work next Friday/Saturday/ Sunday. Working this weekend though.
If you've got it, a lorry brought it.
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 08:28

Originally posted by Tetleysmooth Tetleysmooth wrote:

Philip, I don't need the seats, but I'd love the armrests, don't suppose you'd consider splitting would you? What other parts do you have for disposal? ( e28 ). I'm off work next Friday/Saturday/ Sunday. Working this weekend though.

if no-one wants the complete seats I will have a go at removing the armrests and will ebay them for a quid, when I get some time.

the free e28 stuff is mostly trim, consoles, plastic trim pieces, nothing exciting I'm afraid. crap not worth ebaying.

I really must have a good sort through my hoard and make a proper inventory, but that will need a dedicated day or two. the hoard is big and poorly organised.

Philip
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 09:21
Sorry, I thought the items were free. I was going to offer a swap for my e23 bits, but if you'd rather ebay them, that's ok.
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 09:27

they most certainly are free if people take the whole seats to save me the hassle of taking them to the dump. If you don't want the entire seats I will happily barter a pair of armrests for your box of tricks. thats very generous of you. we can meet up in thurrock if this suits you better.

Philip
eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 16:27
You do not need fuel additives to run on unleaded. BM engines from the early 70' had hardened valve seats to meet Californian fuel specs (unleaded).
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2005 at 17:01
Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

they most certainly are free if people take the whole seats to save me the hassle of taking them to the dump. If you don't want the entire seats I will happily barter a pair of armrests for your box of tricks. thats very generous of you. we can meet up in thurrock if this suits you better.

Ebay 'em.

Edited by Tetleysmooth
rubberknees50 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Does it have chrome bumpers?

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 14:34
Philip, would any of it be of use to us? Happy to collect but wendy still hasn't got her spacewagon back, they had to take the head of to decoke it properly as Mitsubishi dealer wouldn't lend Vauxhall dealer their special tool. Latest forecast is "maybe tomorrow". How soon do you need to skip them? Couldn't cure prob with speedo or fan, got cd changer head unit in and working with leccy aerial and everything looking as it should. Got to make brackets up for autochanger unit now.
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Philip View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 14:46

Ian,

Anything you definitely want I will keep. front seats with armrests are a must in a Gentlemans' Club on Wheels E23.

Speedo may need a new speed sensor on the diff. get one new from BMW or ECP/GSF. I can let you have a complete instrument cluster, free to you, but cannot g'tee it will work in your car.

re the fan, I have the new Resistor Pack for you, free to you. I also have a complete spare heater assy and have found where the resistor pack lives. its buried away under/behind the blower motor. you can have the complete heater assy free if you need it.

Philip
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 15:45
Parts are free to anybody, unless yer name's Tetley, then they go on ebay.
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 15:48
Hi philip, cheers, seats always useful if cat doesn't mind, if you think it's resistor pack will try that, happy to dismantle instrument cluster to get one that works, done it several times with E28's. Anything you think useful I will find a home for.Will see when Wendy can bring me down, likely to be around beginning of September if thats ok,
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 15:55

Edited by bmw1066
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 16:04
Originally posted by Tetleysmooth Tetleysmooth wrote:

Originally posted by Philip Philip wrote:

Ebay 'em.

No need to fall out here, Philip offered me some bits when we collected C659 YFH that we both forgot about on the day in all the excitement, I'd rather store anything that might be useful rather than see it scrapped.

"Only free if your name isn't tetley" isn't fair, you turned them down and it'll cost us over a tank of fuel but we're happy with that!

Edited by rubberknees50
IanT
E28 528, E23 735
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 16:21
I did offer to save the armrests from the dump. If the seats were going to be scrapped anyway, I couldn't see what difference it would have made to save the armrests. It's not the first time I've enquired about parts from Philip. I got the same answer before 'I'll stick 'em on ebay'. Sorry, but that's not the way I do business with friends and fellow enthusiasts. I feel like I can't be trusted to pay. Didn't really need the armrests, I didn't use them when I had the e23, but thought they would have added something to the interior of my e28. Not to be though, is it.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2005 at 16:26
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick Dave, something's gone wrong here that wasn't intended I'm 99% sure. A trades a trade after all, your bits for Phils, if the seats were to be skipped then I'm sure they would have been offered over FOC.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic