Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLSD - recommended oil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Topic: LSD - recommended oil?
    Posted: 11-August-2005 at 08:28

Howdy. I'm going to do a full fluids change in the next service, and was wondering what was the recommended oil to put into an E36 Limited SLip diff? Asking BMW was a waste of time "No need; sealed for life" was all I could get from the service guy after repeated requests for the correct fluid.

I also have a queer whine begining to appear. It comes around the 30-40mph mark and disappears after this due to wind/road noise, and dropping back seats/someone in boot with no noise increase meant I diagnosed front bearings and replaced them.

However, it didn't go away! Then I've been thinking maybe prop, flexicoupling, or horror of horrors the gearbox. Anyone any experience of something similar?

It is road-speed related. Engine revs, load etc make no difference to the noise (a kind of resonant hum that comes from what feels like the front). No vibration through the gearlever or wheel. No vibration or increase/decrease when braking or cornering to speak of. 17" wheels with 215/45 Avon ZZ1s with 14k up on them and another 5k easy left, all wearing evenly. Any ideas?

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Sponsored Links

T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2005 at 10:28
anyone even hazarding a guess?
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2005 at 14:14
Make sure you use the correct diff fluid.. I know from experience that even BMW dealers dispense the wrong grade.. like you say, they never do the diff fluids.
I cant comment on the E36 but I am sure a call to the diff maker (getrag?) will give you the result you want.

If your whine is gearbox related you can usually confirm it by dipping the clutch.. slipping in to neutral while coasting and keep your ears open.

Wheel bearing noises often disappear around corners as the bearing on the affected side loads up.. and then appear again when you have straightened up.

Have you a friend who can tow you along.. the car will be a lot quieter without the engine running.

Nick
Kevin_E30_318iS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2005 at 16:58
The recommended LSD oil for the E30 is a special Castrol brew available only from the main dealer 'Castrol SAF-XJ'. It's expensive at about EUR25 per Litre. It might also be the appropriate one for the E36, but I couldn't say. Someone on the forum should know.
Kevin_1990_318iS
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2005 at 05:45

@ Nick: well I did an impromptu coast session there. 45mph, switch the car off, into neutral & clutch up/clutch down etc and no change what so ever in the level of noise. I'm not completely up to speed with the sequence of gearbox internals movement, but it does isolate the crankshaft/input shaft and associated bearings on the engine side of the 'box.

But I'm still left with the gearbox output shaft, propshaft, and back to the diff. To be honest, it really sounds like a wheel bearing, but as I've done them I'm at a loss. I think I'll have to do some more indepth checking, put it up on a ramp etc

@ Kevin: I'd say the oil wouldn't change between the two so I'll try to confirm with another BMW main stealer that what you've suggested is right for the E36 seeing as the local one doesn't want to volunteer the info! Cheers for that.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Grubbins View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2005 at 09:49
The noise could be your 17" wheels and tyres.  I've a 320d touring that has been fitted with 17" and michelin pilots and the noise drowns out the diesel engine at approx 60 mph.  Dealers and opinion on the boards is that the tyres are the cause.  Have checked bearings, load/no loads, round corners etc etc but always the same speed related droan.  Will try another tyre once these have worn down (they are almost new). Other sure way to rule out tyre noise is to find a mate with 16" and try those.     
andygriff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-August-2005 at 10:44

The LSD oil you need is MSP 75w-140 (Fully synthetic). This is what BMW supply to dealers. I think it's made by Castrol for BMW. Veedol also make a compatible LSD oil which is the only other recommended oil on the BMW lubricants list - although I don't know if Veedol is availible in the UK.

Oh yes.. you dealer is talking sh~t. Whilst standard diffs on later cars may be subject to a life without an oil change, all LDS's should have the oil changed from time to time. Just look at the service schedule for any M Powered car !

1988 E30 M3 S14B23
1995 E36 M3 S50B30 Saloon
Honda RC30
BMW Senior Technician.
JamesE30 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2005 at 10:18
I did a bit of research for my E30 320i LSD when I fitted it and was advised by a few friends of mine to use Rock Oil, as they used it in the past in Rally Car diff's. It is about £4 per 1.5L from memory. I have done 10k with it and have had no problems.
oilman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-August-2005 at 10:44

The SAF XJ is a 75w-140 fully synthetic final drive oil.

The SAF XO is a 75w-90 fully synthetic final drive oil.

Both these oils are Fully synthetic GL5 oils.

You can always contact me as I have some equivalents to the Castrol which will save you paying Dealer prices.

They are Silkolene and Motul oils and they are fully synthetic meeting the required viscosities and specifications.

sales@opieoils.co.uk

Cheers

Simon

Use the code BAVBOARD and get 10% Club Discount
email: sales@opieoils.co.uk
Phone: 01209 202944
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic