Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 8 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedRolling

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rolling
    Posted: 18-August-2005 at 10:32

Hi Guys,

as its been quiet on this forum I thought I'd give you an easy one.

When I stop in my 8 and turn off the engine, put it in Park, it rolls forward 2 inches/50mm. Is this normal or is there something amiss. I have had it for 3k miles and as its not been serviced since 08-2001 and the old service blobs are all still there I was wondering if all was ok.

Not difficult I know but there you are, anyone want a 850csi with 25K to burn there one on autotrader at the moment. I would but I haven't, can you ever have too many?

Henners

Sponsored Links

aussie840 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Skip

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2005 at 01:04

Hi Henners,

mine rolls forward a tad too, don't know about 2 inches though.  Depends if you put hand brake on before engaging park, if no hand brake then car might roll a bit till the the pins/pawls engage in the transmission & hold the car in park (this put quite a bit of pressure on the pins and it seems USA suffers more from broken parts caused by this as they rarely use their hand brake when parking a car....which I have always wondered why)

I think there are also rear pads on the rear drums which are an integral parts of the rear rotors, these pads push against the handbrake drums when the hand brake is pulled on, they can also slip a bit till they bite if your 2 tonne 8 is on a slight incline.

Cheers Ian

Henners View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-August-2005 at 05:05

Hi Ian,

Thanks for that, I must admit that seems to explain it. I did look again at the distance and my description is a slight exageration, but my wife keeps asking me why. Now I can tell her.

Ill try putting the handbrake on first in future before engaging park. No I dont know why the americans dont use handbrakes, its probably explians how Mercedes gets away with the strange handbrake system they maintain!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic