Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Topic: rip off ireland
    Posted: 03-September-2005 at 08:18
With the revenue boys you rarely get a choice.... how do you like your pineapple sir?
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
Sponsored Links

Donegal TDI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2005 at 07:55

LOL.

Orifice to be inserted into is optional

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2005 at 02:02
Originally posted by Donegal TDI Donegal TDI wrote:

If the money collected, was spent wisely, the pill would be easier to swallow, but he showed us different. Now, if we could get Eddie to run for public office, wouldn't that be something.

Pill? Suppository surely??

Donegal TDI View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 19:59

Well, Eddie Hobbs may be an acquired taste to some, personally I like him.

His program has again highlighted the penal attitude to Irish motorists.

If the money collected, was spent wisely, the pill would be easier to swallow, but he showed us different. Now, if we could get Eddie to run for public office, wouldn't that be something.

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 13:12

Originally posted by ludo ludo wrote:

ok. The programm did show the numbers with the VAT paid only once (i thgink it worked out €3g more to buy in the north)

Forgetting about the technicalities of VRT though, the opportunities to save money by importing a brand new car are few and far between since the pre-tax cost in most european countries are higher than here and the amout of VAT and VRT will be the same as a new car here.

From that point of view, the exercise was ridiculous.  It would have been more enlightening to illustrate the point that if you bought a 6 month old used car you could save a significant amount of cash.

An example to illustrate.

A Jan '05 Mondeo 1.8LX with about 12k miles would cost you about £7800 at auction in the UK or maybe £9250 at a car supermarket. 

Bring that back here and the saving versus the current list price for a new one is between €7,000 and €9,000 depending on which way you buy in the UK (after paying VRT but not including flights, ferries, etc.). 

The saving versus the cheapest used '05 Mondeo on Carzone.ie is between €4,000 and €6,000. 

The car still has loads of manufacturer warranty left, which is transferable.  Register it here and it gets a current plate.

Would that have been a more reasonable example? Probably.

Would it have annoyed the car distributors and dealers? Absolutely!

Would it have supported the view of Rip off Ireland?  Definitely.

Edited by Dergside
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 12:38

Originally posted by mikerd4 mikerd4 wrote:

.....things need to change or the buig companies that were attracted to the cheap tax breaks will start to think twice!

Will it ever be as economically bad again in Ireland as it was in 1988?

mikerd4 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 12:35
Just goes to show how apathetic people can be in this country.  Drivers contribute 4b€ to the economy yet we have some of the worst roads in Europe, we also pay tolls for roads where there is no alternative on offer and will toll all the new motorways that are being built, yet the government is widely supported and nothing is done to stop it by the opposition parties or the government themselves.  Man things need to change or the buig companies that were attracted to the cheap tax breaks will start to think twice!

All about the sounds:-
Source:-Alpine 9833R Comps:-Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elites, Sub:- 2 x Focal Polyglass V2, Amps:- Arc Audio XK4150 & Soundstream Van Gogh All in a custom boot build
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 12:09

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

The other thing I thought he would mention is the effect VRT has on the safety features within new cars. Many manufacturers downgrade the car (e.g. remove airbags etc.) as otherwise the post-VRT price of the car would make it uncompetitive.

So in essence you got f***** twice! Still all that road tax does go to give you those wonderful roads doesn't it?

Edited by Derek M5
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 10:10
Im just surprised that it is mandatory to pay the VAT on a new car here and if it was already paid in another EU country then you get that back.

The other thing I thought he would mention is the effect VRT has on the safety features within new cars. Many manufacturers downgrade the car (e.g. remove airbags etc.) as otherwise the post-VRT price of the car would make it uncompetitive.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 10:06
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I think he could have choosen to pay the VAT in NI and he would just have had to pay the VRT in the ROI.

Ludo, because the VRO deem the car to be new (under 6 months old and/or less than 6000km) it will be subject to VAT in ROI - that can't be avoided. 

The point that was missed I believe in the program was that there is a mechanism for getting the UK VAT back.  The Inland Revenue Form VAT 411 may be relevant.  The description is:

New Means of Transport

HMRC Reference: VAT 411

This form is for registering the removal of New Means of Transport to other Member States of the European Community by persons not registered for VAT.

ok. The programm did show the numbers with the VAT paid only once (i thgink it worked out €3g more to buy in the north)

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 09:03

I think he could have choosen to pay the VAT in NI and he would just have had to pay the VRT in the ROI.

Ludo, because the VRO deem the car to be new (under 6 months old and/or less than 6000km) it will be subject to VAT in ROI - that can't be avoided. 

The point that was missed I believe in the program was that there is a mechanism for getting the UK VAT back.  The Inland Revenue Form VAT 411 may be relevant.  The description is:

New Means of Transport

HMRC Reference: VAT 411

This form is for registering the removal of New Means of Transport to other Member States of the European Community by persons not registered for VAT.

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 08:01
Originally posted by ///M3Mick ///M3Mick wrote:

..... we often use lawyers in the UK and we effectively have to gross up their bills (which are already outrageous) ...

Oh thanks....

ludo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 07:59

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 05:43
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

There is a possibility that a VAT input credit could have been claimed in the other country before export and the car sold zero rated for VAT purposes as an export.  So, in the same manner that you can't be charged it twice, you have to be charged it once. 

When EH rang Tallaght he told the woman the full cost of the car. He also said there were only 3.5 miles on the car - it was brand new. She told him that he needed to pay both VAT and VRT in the RoI and he confirmed that he was about to pay the VAT in NI. He wasn't seeking a VAT input credit from the NI dealer.
1997 E39 523i
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 05:12

Fair enough, then VAT isn't being paid twice. However, why is there a need to pay the VAT here once it was already paid within the EU, even if a rebate is being offered.

There is a possibility that a VAT input credit could have been claimed in the other country before export and the car sold zero rated for VAT purposes as an export.  So, in the same manner that you can't be charged it twice, you have to be charged it once.  It is the final consumer that bears the overall cost of it.

The Revenue don't allow businesses to reclaim VAT on motor vehicles in this country but the Inland Revenue do allow it in the UK.  VAT is then charged on the subsequent disposal (assuming its not zero rated for export).

Edited by Dergside

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 04:53
I was just under the impression that VAT could be paid in the country of purchase within the EU.
1997 E39 523i
shar_k View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 04:41
I think the big thing here is STEALTH TAXES, you cant do anything in this country without first paying normal taxes and then paying all the sneaky little ones that seem to pop up like magic.
1986 316 Coupe
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 04:39

K

Thats the way the entire VAT system works, its not a quirk peculiar to motor vehicles (unlike the VRT).  Where I work we often use lawyers in the UK and we effectively have to gross up their bills (which are already outrageous) on the VAT returns to pay at the Irish Rate of 21 and claim credit for the UK VAT paid (unless it relates to services rendered outside the EU in which case it is non-chargeable).

Its a bummer but this is one case in which you shouldnt feel like we motorists are being singled out for any special treatment.

Interestingly,  Moore McDowell was on Dunphy this morning and he said one thing that had been missed on the show was the fact that the people who set the values the VRO works off are none other than the Irish Motor Industry.   Who have a vested interest in making sure it is totally uneconomical to buy a car from outside the state.

Mick

Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 04:37

Fair enough, then VAT isn't being paid twice. However, why is there a need to pay the VAT here once it was already paid within the EU, even if a rebate is being offered?
On a €20K (without VAT) car the UK VAT is ~€3500. The Irish VAT is ~€4200. There is about a €700 difference just in VAT alone.

Are cars the only item where you have to pay the Irish vat on them rather than the vat where the car was bought?

I think most people were aware of the VRT costs here, but the new news to me was the planning of private authorities managing the new toll roads in the future.

Are the rumours also true about VRT being abolished on cars above 3.0litre?

Can you imagine going into a dealer and seeing a 330i 20k cheaper than a 325i....

Edited by Toxic
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 04:18
Fair enough, then VAT isn't being paid twice. However, why is there a need to pay the VAT here once it was already paid within the EU, even if a rebate is being offered?
On a €20K (without VAT) car the UK VAT is ~€3500. The Irish VAT is ~€4200. There is about a €700 difference just in VAT alone.
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic