Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 7 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBrake Linning Warning 735se

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brake Linning Warning 735se
    Posted: 30-August-2005 at 12:04

Hello-does anyone know which wires to short out to put this warning message out? my '89 735ise has new pads,but I can't get rid of this annoying message.I've been told that a wire or connection must be open circuit---HELP!!!!!

Sponsored Links

Del64 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Double 6 driver

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 12:06
Its not a short out its a separate, of the pad wear sensor wires, but why not change the pads and sensors? its not difficult and is a very heavy car to play around with safety on.
2009 520d SE Business Edition

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
eta. View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 13:00
I agree. The brake pad wear sensor wire is cheap from a dealer and the whole point of it is a) a safety warning, b) stops you naffing up your discs which are a bit more expensive than the wear sensor wire!
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 13:25

Right on the e34 and I believe the e32 you can re set this. You need to switch on the ignition and leave for 10 min (use timer if you like) then switch off the ignition and switch on again starting the car, and the light should go out. I have dun this 2 or 3 times and every time this has worked.

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
tdc111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2005 at 14:30

If I rember rightly you have two indicators on the E32 braking system, one on the drivers rear and one on the passenger front, they use the closed loop system ie one wire goes into the sensor and loops back out, as the pad wears down it gets to a point where the disc cuts the wire and causes open circuit, then the lady of the bongs starts to nag you to change the pads.

the sensors can be obtained from places like partco or other major supliers, I paid £3.99 for mine, from BMW they would not be much more than that.

As for fitting, simply plug one end into the socket and clip the other end into the pad, no resetting needed as the CCM will check the circuit next time you start up and will show all clear.

Hope this helps

Edited by tdc111
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2005 at 12:24
I've got this every morning after going over a drain with a nasty bump a few weeks ago.  Time to hunt the wires I think...
tdc111 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2005 at 18:18

Chas,

You may get a warning from the CCM if the bump has dislodged the plug slightly, this would cause a loose connection which would be picked up when the CCM fires a check voltage around the circuit and gets an out of parrameter response.

Might be worth checking the plugs on the sensors and maybe giving them a good clean up

Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2005 at 06:53
Originally posted by tdc111 tdc111 wrote:

Chas,

You may get a warning from the CCM if the bump has dislodged the plug slightly, this would cause a loose connection which would be picked up when the CCM fires a check voltage around the circuit and gets an out of parrameter response.

Might be worth checking the plugs on the sensors and maybe giving them a good clean up

That's what I thought Tony but as she's about to go into my bothy for a complete refurb, I've just been lazy and ignored the bongs

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic