Forum LockedE39 Wing Mirror Glass Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 Wing Mirror Glass Replacement
    Posted: 27-September-2005 at 03:43

Morning people.

I've got a problem with the o/s wing mirror on my 1998 535.

The mirror surface has gradually deteriorated - it looks like water has penetrated the top surface (maybe the anti-glare chromatic coating?) and is creating bubbles underneath.

I need to get it sorted but not sure what is involved - don't want to have to fork out for a whole new mirror assembly inc electrics if I don't need to and can just replace the glass.  Alternatively, can I just peel off the anti-glare coating and replace it (or live without it)?

Any info gratefully received as always!

Cheers,

Ali

Sponsored Links

zayd55 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2005 at 06:43

You can buy the replacement glass from this supplier whom I have used for parts totalling some £800 in the past six months. 

https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/

Just select the car from the drop down list and go to the Body and Trim subsection to find the heated glass for the wing mirrors.  I don't think that it will be so difficult to replace yourself.

Edited by zayd55
2000 E39 530i Sport Auto M54
Titan Silver
ahmurray View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2005 at 08:28

Looks good - had a quick check and the replacement glass from that site looks to be £25, although it doesn't say whether that is chromatic or not.

$tealer price is £61 for non-chromatic or £150+ for the proper chromatic replacement, which seems a bit steep!

I'm going to try and convince them it should be covered under warranty, but if no joy I'll definitely order from there.

Cheers,

Ali

Phillip View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2005 at 08:45

I smashed mine and went to my Indy for him to fix. I said that anything would do, as I had been told that the dimming glass was mega dear. He said he would order whatever he thought best. I went the next day and he had got me the glass..£26.00!!! I asked if it was dimming (assuming not) and he said "They only do one and this is it".

He just snapped it into place-for free-and charged me £26.00. Well happy.

Philip
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2005 at 10:05
Same as Philip - got the glass in a motor factors, and was told that there was only one type of glass.  Came with a sticky back so stuck to the old mirror surface. €35 for the new glass (c.£22), fitted myself for free!  That was 4 months ago and 4000 miles ago, and no problems.
Toxic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2005 at 04:22
they are real easy to replace...just put a small screwdriver behind it and lever it out gently or if your fingers are small enough.  It will just pop out.  Simple disconnect of the 2 wires for the heater and replacement is reversal of removal.
Tom
E39 1997 523i
Oxford Green (Sold)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2005 at 18:54
Hello,
I had the excact same problem on my o/s mirror.

Went gold then started de-laminating from the top.

The electrochromatic mirror is like hens teeth on eBay. Me and this guy bid on one and ended up pushing the price past £90.

As you say the stealers want £230 for a mirror glass and about £60 for a non-dimming one.

Mines finally got too much and I had to buy one, but I used www.fabdirect.com and got one for £75 + delivery. Came next day, 2 min job to fit.

There is a black level behind the lower edge of the glass in the centre and it has to be slid to the side.

Once you get the new glass you'll work out how it works.

ahmurray View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 05:13

Thanks, guys.

Philip Fey, wasn't clear from your post whether the glass you got for c£25 was the chromatic kind or not?

I'm of to Chandlers tomorrow to try and convince their warranty man that it is a legitimate warranty claim, but as there is a slight scrape on the outermost edge of the wingmirror housing I suspect he may argue that it is an accident damage problem - don't think this is valid as the glass itself wouldn't have been affected by a knock like that.

Cheers,

Ali

ahmurray View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 08:42

Well, just got back from my local dealers having had a replacement chormatic mirror fitted under warranty. 

I am so pleased with that warranty - reckon I have had at least twice what I paid for it back in repairs - it's not that the car has been unreliable, just that at every service there has been something reported that needed doing - radiator, battery, etc.  My car is a 98 535 which I bought in March 2003, so still have a few more months left to run.

I hear that they have massively increased the prices for approved used warranties, which is bad news as i would have wanted to get a 3 year one next time round - maybe I am personally responsible for the increase!

Thanks for your help though people.

Cheers,

Ali

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic