Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM5 at VX220 track day.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: M5 at VX220 track day.
    Posted: 02-October-2005 at 13:01

Hi all,

I went to a VX220 track day yesterday at Bruntingthorpe which I wouldn't have normally mentioned on here if it wasn't for the fact there was a couple of M5's and some old E and G reg 3series going round too.  I was quite happy to see the M5's were doing a good job of keeping up with the VX's (although it has to be said they were outclassed in the bends).

One thing I found interesting though was one of the M5's had a pretty bad slide at the end of the day on the exit from a bend.  He was having a bit of tailout fun on the exit of this bend but overcooked it a bit and the car flipped round so it was sliding sideways to the right (drivers side).  The interesting thing was the hazard lights appeared to come on automatically and I'm pretty sure the airbags on the drivers side front and rear went off before it actually hit anything - as if the car was anticipating an accident.  Thankfully apart from the door being beaten in a bit and the interior damage from the airbags nothing and nobody else was hurt.

Wouldn't have minded seeing an M3 or two there.. but there was a 330Ci with a Hartge badge on - don't know what was Hartge about it.. never got to speak to the owner.

I think I'm going to have to get myself along to a BMW meet - though I don't think I'm going to track my car - spension is too soft for that, it's only on standard 328i SE stuff - or can anyone tell me would that be ok for track?

Cheers

Gareth

1998 Boston Green 328i SE
Chipped by ChippedUK

Sponsored Links

pualo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 08:32

Pegsta, anything is ok for the track as long as you have fun. Sure, its not going to be the fastest thing with soft suspension, road brakes, etc etc, but you will have a laugh. Just don't expect to set lap records, and use the time to improve your driving and enjoy your car.

I was at a Brands track day a couple of years back, and there was a guy absolutely driving the wheels off of an old Cavalier Saloon SRI 130 - he was going round the outside of some seriously quick cars! We went to talk to him, expecting it to be tuned up and it turns out he used to race saloon cars in the 70's and 80's, founf this cavalier abandoned in a field with the keys still in it so just changed the oil and started thrashing it for a laugh!

'95 328iSE with S50 conversion
'98 Kawasaki ZX-7R Ninja
Hiabboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 09:20

Was the M5 a le mans blue e39 with miltek decals?,  if so i know the hero/loser, that explains why his phone is turned off !

Profit is more reasonable than justice.
Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 11:17

If Le Mans blue is the dark blue (sorry don't know my BM colours that well...) then yes it was a Le Mans blue.  Don't know about Miltek Decals.. but it's a Y Reg ending in PSR if thats any help - I've got pics

Chipped by ChippedUK

Pegsta View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2005 at 08:15

Just been told - it does have a Miltek exhaust on it - so probably was him.

http://witness-via-a-lens.smugmug.com/Cars

These are the pics from the day.

Chipped by ChippedUK

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic